You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghostly Hitchhikers

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghostly Hitchhikers

 

This incident happened a couple of years ago.

Around 15 old college friends of mine decided to have a small reunion at a seaside beach resort around 60 Kms from Mumbai, India. The place is called Murud, famous for its pristine beach. A great place to chill out for a couple of days.

We had booked a seaside resort for the weekend and hoped that it would be great fun. I didn't want to miss the occasion because it was a rare occasion when we could get the entire gang together. We had decided to leave from Mumbai on Friday afternoon and reach Murud by evening. But as fate would have it something important came up and I couldn't join the others when they left in the afternoon.

It was decided that I would leave later in the evening and reach the resort at night. My friend Anand magnanimously volunteered to accompany me in the evening.

It was around 8.00pm when we were able to finish off my work and start off. The road leading to Murud is a very lonely one especially during night time and there is a very narrow stretch of road which is an accident prone area. We were initially apprehensive about driving along that path at night but finally giving caution to the winds decided to make journey anyways.

It would have normally taken us 3 1/2 hours to reach Murud. But driving in the night along narrow roads can be quite difficult especially at night and can increase the total time by up to 1 hour. We started out in Anand's 4X4 SUV rest assured that the potholes along the highway would pose no hindrance to us.

It was around 11. 30pm when we were on the lonely stretch of road around 40 Kms from our destination. A couple of minutes after joining the lonely road we saw a couple asking for a lift. Normally we wouldn't have stopped to give a lift to hitchhikers at such a late hour. But the couple looked like honeymooners who had come to spend some quiet time together after marriage. On closer inspection they seemed well spoken and safe enough to give a ride. The guy told us that they were staying at Kashid beach, around 10 kms from Murud. They were staying at a resort there and had been stranded for 2 hours. They had rented a bike for the evening but it had suffered a puncture. I could see a bike parked on the side of the road with a punctured tyre and so it made his story more believable. We asked them to hop in and told them that we would drop them off at their destination which was on the way. Along the way we found that both of them had a good sense of humour and we found that we got along quite well. They introduced themselves as Ravi and Sunita, married recently and had come over to Kashid beach resort for a honeymoon from Mumbai. Time passed by and the conversation grew lesser since all of us were quite tired. However our couple had made themselves comfortable in the backseat of our car and all we could hear were whispers from the back seat. Anand and I smiled silently at each other but said nothing.

Then something chilling happened which still gives me the creeps. Somewhere near Kashid, our vehicle suddenly came to a halt. I knew that we had a full tank of petrol and it wasn't the reason for this. Without looking back I got out of the car and opened the bonnet trying to figure out the reason for the sudden breakdown. I heard the guy Ravi call out asking whether I needed any help. I couldn't see him because of the open car bonnet. Surprisingly there was no word from Anand who was my co-passenger and would naturally have come out of the car to give me a hand. I called out to him and walked to the window. Anand was just sitting there sweating profusely. He looked at me and pointed to the back seat with trembling hands. What happened next is truly eerie.

I could still hear the couple in the back seat of the car whispering to each other, a couple of feet away from me, just the way when we were travelling but there was no one there now. Continuous whispering but only... Empty seats! My head started reeling and I thought that I would probably lose consciousness and faint. Gathering all my strength I opened the door, got Anand out of the car and we ran from there like our lives depended on it. When we were a couple of meters away from the car we heard a loud laugh in a man's voice and a wail in a woman's, coming from the car. After that there was eerie silence.

Fortunately for us there was a police station around half a kilometer from where our car broke down. We were badly shaken and on the verge of collapse. The cops on duty were very sympathetic to us but were not surprised on hearing our story. They told us that this wasn't the first occasion that such a thing had happened. It seems that some years back, a honeymooning couple who were stranded on the lonely road at night were brutally murdered. Their bike had developed a puncture and they tried to hitch a ride to their resort which happened to be at Kashid. They hitched a ride from the wrong people and eventually met their grievous end. The sightings had happened a couple of times earlier too.

We were told by the constables to spend the night at the police station. We immediately called up our worried friends and informed them about the incident. We also forbade them from driving down on that road as we did not want a repeat of the incident which happened to us. Anand and I spent an uncomfortable night at the police station. We couldn't believe that this had happened to us.

Next morning at around 6 am, the cops escorted us to our car which was now empty. A friend also arrived there shortly. We thanked the cops for their help and started back towards Mumbai without even bothering about the re-union plans. I was just happy that both Anand and I had escaped unscratched.

While driving down towards Mumbai, I sleepily glanced from the window where we had picked up the couple. I could not see the bike which we had seen last night but I definitely thought that I saw an old worn out rusty bike tyre lying on one side of the road. I might be wrong considering the state that I was in, after the previous night's ordeal.

I went to Kashid a year later. On the way we stopped at the police station and enquired whether any further sightings of the couple had been reported. We were happy to learn that there were none after our incident.

I can only hope and pray that the souls of the poor couple find peace.

Other hauntings by sanjubhat

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sanjubhat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spookspirits (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Hi sanju
I just love to read your stories and your way of explaining things. My uncle has eperienced same kind of experience but on a different place. I will soon try to post the story after taking details about the story froom my uncle.

With love regards and best wishes from SpOoKsPiRiTS
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
The murder of the couple is just one of the many reasons God will damn all of humanity to hell for eternity.
navy123 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-29)
eek! I felt chills reading this story, I'm glad you werent hurt but I feel for the couple, what a sad way to die 😭
curiousDevu (10 stories) (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-27)
Good God! How terrible!:- (
Extremely well written... Spooky!
And to think of it me and some of my friends went to kashid three days back kashid is so beautiful at night, it seems that a ghost would seem picture perfect in the place! It gave me the creeps!
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
chilling tale... But anyways the ghost couple did not want to harm you I guess.
Catie (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
Woooww.This is one of my fav story sanju. Very Chilling. The same thing was happened at my native place. Thanks for sharing ❤
shiversdownmyspine (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
i really get very scared wen I read your stories you write really well describing events which I myself would be too chicken to experience please keep writing more 😊
scarwarsnow (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-08)
Amazing and creepy, I don't know what I would have done, I would not have given them the lift
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
wow that's like my new favourite story! Love it and very very scary. But kind of cool... I also feel sorry for their tragic end and its amazing you were able to interact with them like that.
Super spooky Great Story! 😊
VivekThekote (1 stories) (105 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
Hi Sanjubhat,

Thanks for the story, It was very chilling & spine tingling story & also I feel sad for the couples who lost their lives in their honeymoon.

I believe that their souls may get peace but the person who committed such crime will go punished under our Law if caught or by God who watches every action of Human Being.

God Bless you, your friends & your family. Take care.
Ashwin (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-02)
Good one... Sad about the couples who died in that fashion...! It was a creepy one dude...!
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
That poor couple. That's so sad. And scary for you! But it didn't seem like they were harmful at least.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Talk about an experience! I'm sure you didn't know what to make of it all. Guess there is some truth in urban legends for them to happen time and time again. We had a story similiar to that around our parts. People picking up a hitch hiker only to find them disappear from the back seat. This couple interacted with you but it still could have been residual. They may have said the same thing to anyone that picked them up along with the same ending of the experience which would mean residual. I'm sure something like that stays with you a lifetime. I know I would never forget it.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Whew! That was terrifying! I have heard urban legends similar to this story, however with your detail and length to which you have shared your encounter, I find myself believing every word of it!

Those poor young people to loose their lives that way, and on their honey moon. What a horrible tragedy!

I will say some prayers for them to have found peace,

Thanks for taking the time to share your encounter with us.

God Bless!
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
thanks you helped the couples out of their grievance.
Maybe its the first real time that somebosy helps them get a ride.
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
now THAT'S a ghost story!

Excellent story!

Very chilling!

Thanks for sharing it. It would seem that a cleansing could be done in that area for them...
mzih8u (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Thats a creepy story! Very well told! Sad too... I would have had some trouble going back to drive on that road.
crystaleye (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
good thing you didn't faint and manage to grab your friend... 😁 you're story sends shiver down my spine.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: