You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Our Last Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Our Last Goodbye

 

Last year I lost my dachshund to a terrible accident. Of all the days to have died she died on my 20th birthday which was just devastating to me. We had been putting her in the back yard with the other dogs because she liked to sun bathe but we couldn't let her out the front because she would run off.

The night before my birthday my fiancé and I were watching a movie when I asked if I could let Jocelyn in. He told me she'd be okay until the movie was over, I was reluctant but agreed. After the movie he went to the bathroom and I went to let her in but when I opened the door all the other dogs came in but her. I got worried; she always came when I called for her. We were like kindred spirits. I walked onto the little porch and saw her lying on the ground, I thought she was dead. I screamed liked I have never screamed before, I hope I never have to again, it scared even me. My fiancé came running in there and saw her lying there. He picked her up and we found that she wasn't dead after all but she was close.

It was Friday night. We drove all over town with the heat blasting in the middle of April looking for an open vet. No one even answered their emergency phone lines. I felt so helpless; we didn't have the money to take her to Dallas for an emergency vet. We did get a close friend who raised dogs to come look at her. She honestly thought she would make it through the night so we finally and very reluctantly for me, went to bed. The poor thing, she always slept with us and we had her all wrapped up in blankets to keep her warm in her crate but she wanted to sleep with me. She always slept in between my right side and my arm and that's where she slept that night. But she passed in the morning.

For the first week after she left us I know I saw her in the corner of my vision. There was one night I was sitting at the computer and I felt something brush against my leg but nothing was in the room. I think she was just trying to comfort me because I took it so incredibly hard. I grieved for about a year but when I got the dog I have now, Lexie, I never had another experience with Jocelyn. I hope she is resting peacefully after her traumatic experience.

Other hauntings by lexie4308

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lexie4308, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
i had a tear in my eye reading this, I dread the day when one of my dogs pass on I am sure your dog is at peace
lexie4308 (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
Tonith, what you say makes sense about not seeing your cat and not always seeing the pets that past away. I know we haven't seen all of ours. We had a sheltie pup that got into some poison when he was outside one day and died before he was even six months old but we have never seen him. I think it might be because we didn't get as close to him as we have the others. Of course it could also be that we were all more emotional after the divorce and so we clung to pets for security because we knew they'd never leave us. I guess there could be many explanations:)
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
The dog that jumped on my bed and walked around my bed for 3 years after her death was a dachsund and she was a lovable little creature. I believe she just wanted you to know she was ok. I think ours did the same. After I got another pet (the cat I have just put down from old age) it stopped after the first month. While I have had 3 animals put down over the years only one had persistence and that was the dachsund. Our lab after being put down I heard her chain jingle once but that was the end of it. The dachsund stayed for 3 years after her death and the cat I just put down has not made an appearence. Maybe it depends on the animal.
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
I'm so sorry for your loss, really. There's no worse feeling than feeling helpless when it involves an animal or a child. I too, have dogs (and a 2 1/2 year old daughter) who mean the world to me. If you read my story on this site you'll see I had an encounter with one of my "boys" after I made the decision to put him down. I truly believe animals have something inside them that is built in so to speak that allows them to love us unconditionally and helps us through the worst of times... Including their own passing. I'm so glad to hear you have your Lexie now to help ease the pain. While she's not Jocelyn, be assured Jocelyn's looking down and is happy you're sharing your love with another "little girl" such as herself. 😊
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
sure thing.
Because animal can sense more of the emotions side of the people around them.
Maybe you're really tired and your dog just want to remind you that you also needed some rest and you'll be ok, since they there to watch you sleep, as they always does.
So be happy.
lexie4308 (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Thank you again:) My fiance always told me I was tired when I would tell him I saw her because for a long time I cried myself to sleep, missing her so much. But I am very good with animals. I have animals accept me and come to me and when won't approach anyone else, maybe that could have something to do with me seeing them? My mom is good with animals also.
angelboo424 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
My heart goes out to you over your loss, I have dachsunds as well and I know how they just wrap themselves around your very heart and soul.
I know you absolutely did see her, animal's being pure spirit have a much easier time coming through on this side. She was tryng to comfort you by showing herself to you, it was her way of telling you she was ok!

Hugs,
Joanne

Www.myangelspeak.com

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: