You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Gettysburg Experience

Real Ghost Stories

The Gettysburg Experience

 

The Gettysburg Experience

Last year on July 4th, my family and I took our annual visit to the historic battlefield of Gettysburg. Every year we visit different areas of the battlefield hoping to capture any pictures of orbs or ghosts, but sometimes we get more than we bargained for.

During past visits to Gettysburg, we received very little activity with the paranormal, but this time was different. We were driving around the battlefield around 7:30 and we decided to visit McPherson Ridge. My father parked the car and we took a walk around, snapping pictures of the scenic view. Then I noticed orbs appearing in the camera, even though it was still day!

A van pulled up next to my car and another family got out. My dad started talking to the other family about orbs, but they didn't believe my dad and they said they were rain drops on the camera. So my dad told me to take a picture of a tree on the left side of me about 50 yards away. I took the picture and looking at the screen I saw only black. Then I told the other family to take a picture of the tree. The same thing happened to them.

After a while the other family left and we were alone. It was about 8 and we were still snapping pictures when something extraordinary happened, my camera turned off even with a full battery! Then a slight fog came in the distance and we heard the railroad crossing start to ding signaling a train was coming. We paid no attention to it (since it was normal that a train was coming) and we looked into the distance at the Eternal Light Peace Memorial. As if by coincidence, it went out! By this time it had been 15 minutes of hearing the railroad crossing ding over and over, but yet no train had passed. Knowing something weird was happening, we left and went back to the hotel recounting the day's events.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ItchyStephenEF5, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

gemini_syndrome (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
I went there and the most horrifying thing happened! When I took a picture of a cannon at the end of a ghost tour with my little brother in front of it, There was a dark shadow next to my brother. When I took another I saw a face in the side of the cannon. Scary 😨
Moonwalker (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
The weird thing is I was at Gettysburg june 18th just a few months ago and I was near the eternal light monument when my camera wouldn't take a picture.
I was able to get it but it was very weird.

We went to little round top at the end of the day and my dads girlfriend needed my help going down the tiny stone stairs since it was night time. My dad took a lot of pictures of us doing that and I felt someone hold my arm to the left of me.

I looked but no one was there until I looked at the pictures. Ther was a big orb beside me lol. 😁 ❤
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
wow, that's a really interesting experience with all the orbs, and the mystery with that camera and stuff. I thought that was really cool. ❤

Talk about a ghostly way 2 celebrate 4th of july! 😆 😉
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
Wow! Seems like you had electronic paranormal events going on. I also live in Pa. But haven't been to Gettysburg since age 16 but I do plan on getting back there. Some are so disappointed because they don't have an experience but maybe it takes more than one time. The next time I go there I plan to stay out in the battle fields and see what happens. I have seen some footage from hauntings there and I'm sure the place is alive with residual hauntings. Intelligent hauntings are a different ballgame. I don't know how much of that goes on in Gettysburg. Seems the bulk of it is residual not intelligent. However, if it's interferring with electronic devices that leads me to believe it could be intelligent. Guess like most investigations you can get both.Can't imagine anyone wanting to stay in a place that had so much tragedy. If I felt I came across a stuck spirit I would want them to move forward and would tell them so. The residual stuff happens if anyone is around to witness it or not.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. That would be great if you had pictures to add. My Mom is visiting Gettysburg later on this month. I told her to keep an eye out for the spirits and to take lots of pictures.

Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
I have always wanted to visit historical Gettysburg and have watched numberous documentaries and paranormal investigations on this location. It must be fascinating! Could you please share your pictures with us?

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: