You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man In The Rain

Real Ghost Stories

Man In The Rain

 

Recently I read a story on this site that brought back a memory of events that took place over one summer. I'm still quite perplexed and am hoping that maybe someone else here may be able to shed some light on this.

These events took place over the summer of 1998 while I lived in Boston. This particular summer was very rainy and there was quite a bit of flooding. The first experience happened one Saturday night while out with friends. We were travelling west along the Mass Pike during a downpour. I was seated in the back seat when suddenly I saw that the lights from the passing cars had illuminated what appeared to be a man walking on the side of the road. From what I could see he was an older man and balding. He appeared to be in one of those wife beater t-shirts and light colored pants. He was also carrying something. This is the best I can describe him given that the windows were blurry with raindrops.

I mentioned to my friends that this was such a horrible night to get stuck on the side of the road. Interestingly enough, my friends didn't see that man. I kept waiting to see a car stalled with its hazard lights on but we didn't pass anything.

I had forgotten about this incident until another night I was driving by myself during a rain storm on the same highway. What do I happen to catch out of my eye, the same darn man in the same clothes walking up the side of the highway. There was no broken down car on the road either. There was a part of me that was tempted to go back and see if I could find the man but there was another part of me that really had a bad feeling about this.

This was an experience that would go on to repeat itself several more times throughout that summer. This didn't just happen on the Mass Pike either. I had it happen while travelling on 495 and also on Route 2. It did not seem to matter if I had friends with me or not. I seem to be the only person that saw this man and he only appeared when it was raining.

I don't understand why this was happening. He had no other discernible features other than what I described above. There were no deaths in my family or any other bad experiences that year. I had started to think it was a warning of some sort but I can't think of what it might have been. To this day I still have no idea what the purpose of this was and why I was the only one that was seeing him.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-11)
Up until you said that you had seen him on those other roads I would have said it was residual energy. However this does not explain why it is just you. It's not just places which are haunted Jennifer, sometimes people can be too. Maybe he is trying to get a message to you, and the rain and these roads are a necessety for him, maybe he was a victim of a road accident.

There's a lot of maybes, but I can't offer you any advice, I can only offer what I have told you as extra information. I can't say whether a spirit is good or bad, only you can if you're the only one who see's him. I do believe you though, since there have been sightings on roads, your experience wouldn't be the only one. Thanks for sharing your story.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-10)
jennifer40 I notice you have another website but I can't find to get into. Let me know ok. Your story interest me maybe that man had been hit by something hardly in the rain.
Tirada (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
rather than an omen, it sounds to me as if this isn't really a ghost at all, but a "broken record" if you will. An act, moment or person (the rain man in this case) that left behind a trace if itself that repeats again and again. It doesn't harm anyone, and he is probably unaware of everything going on around him.

I hesitate to assume anything but my guess is that something happened to this man, one rainy day, maybe he died, but whatever happened to him, the energy from the specific moment, the emotion, the force, whatever you want to call it, was powerful enough to be left behind and repeat itself again and again.

Cool story tho, hope you are able to solve the mystery:]
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your comments.

Hobbyholly, he never looked up at me or gave me any sign that he acknowledged me driving by. He just seem to be looking straight ahead with his head slightly bent down. I never got a look at what it was he was carrying. It seem like I would just get a glimpse of him while I was driving by so I never really got to see any more features.

Lazria, I never did research on the sightings. Where it seem to happen on several different highways I thought it had to do more with me than the surroundings but I of course really don't know. Where nothing bad happened I thought that maybe it could have been some kind of guardian possibly? I moved to Arizona in 2001 so I don't have to worry too much anymore about rain.:)

ThatRandomGuy, thanks for reading.:)

Jennifer ❤
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
I don't know what to say rather than that is quite strange. I wish I could help some more, but I don't think I can.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
It could be an omen for or towards you, it also could be that out of everyone you've been with when you've seen this figure, you're the most receptive toward seeing him (sounds like you are almost looking for him on trips now).

If it's an omen, trying to figure out what he means may be as easy as stay off the roads when it rains (atleast stay off on foot) or it could be nearly impossible. Hobbyholly had a great thought on what he seemed to be doing when you spot him.

Have you checked around to see if they have been any ohter reported sightings of this figure on these roads?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
Wow.

I, like yourself have no idea what you saw. But I believe you. Did he ever look at you? Or just keep a straigt face and walking? Did you ever get a better look at what he was carrying?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: