You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Watching Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Watching Woman

 

I have had quite a few weird experiences over the years; I don't know why as I don't think I am particularly psychic. What is strange is that it has only happened since I moved to Ireland... And it's in every place that I have lived in since. These are some events that happened in my first house in Ireland, in a place called Rosses Point; which is in Sligo, a coastal town in the North West of Ireland. I moved to Ireland from England when I was nine, this would have been in June-July 1997. My dad really wanted to live in Rosses Point. We lived in a camper van for the first while, but then my parents found an old fisherman's cottage with an extension. It was about 100 years old, and built overlooking the channel, which runs from Sligo Bay to Sligo town. Ships still sail into the town via this channel. Rosses Point is a very old fishing village. We moved in during the last week of August 1997. Both my mother and I think that the place was haunted; in fact we thought most of the houses along the village front were, everyone has a story to tell. My mum even introduced us to the house when we first moved in, because of the constant feeling of being watched.

Anyway, the original cottage (which was the front part) consisted of two rooms on either side of a hallway. They were always cold, and the front door never opened unless there was period longer than two weeks of sunny weather... Which is rare. There were no windows to the hallway, but one big window in each room. They both had beautiful views from the window, and faced out onto the village road. My parents took one as a bedroom, and the other was the spare room. My brother and I hated going down the hallway-my brother refusing to do it in the dark, even if it was daylight (we used to close our eyes and run down the hall if we had to go down there). Then the extension was built on the back, so that the hallway was the entrance to the extension, well should have been but because of the front door, we always used the side door. Then there was my brothers and my own bedroom upstairs, the living room downstairs, along with a tiny kitchen and miniscule bathroom. You always got the feeling that someone was with you in the spare room, it never got any radio signal for one thing. I used to keep my rabbit and guinea pig in there. One day I was sitting in the room (I must have been about eleven) and I heard someone blow just behind me... I freaked out and it took all my effort to put my pets back in their cage without dropping them! Another time I went in to feed them, to find them out of their cage, the wire had been cu but there were no clippers around, and my brother swore blind it wasn't him!

Years passed, and my mother and I went back to visit my grandmother in England as we passed a house, I remarked on it looking creepy and told her that it would make a good haunted house, and that I was glad that I had never seen a ghost as I would probably die of fear! To which she replied that I had seen a ghost before. She said that a while after we had moved in, I had got up one morning and asked my mum why there was a strange lady in my room the previous night. Apparently I had woken up for some strange reason and looked down the end of my room, to see a lady sitting at my desk (this came with the house, I don't know if it was an antique or what) watching me. I then went back to sleep. My mother remarked on how odd it was for me to mention it, and be so sure of it. I described her style of dress (which was late 19th century) too clearly for it to be a dream. She also said that I was remarkably calm about the whole experience; especially as how prone I am to jumping at my own shadow.

Things would always go missing in the house, and you'd find them-days later-in a totally different place that you had nonetheless looked in previously. For example, a very important bill disappeared and then appeared under a pile of washing that had just been taken off the line, three days later.

When we told friend of ours who lived down the road a few houses about it a couple of years later, she told us that when she first moved into her own cottage; she was all alone in her room, when two fishermen walked in her bedroom door, looked at her and then nodded before turning around and disappearing. She said it was as if they were approving of her, and letting her know of their presence. She also said that she could smell cigarette smoke in certain places, even though she didn't smoke!

There were many other occurrences that I have forgotten, such as things falling off the wall and such like, but you never felt threatened. I just think they didn't want to be forgotten. Sorry this is so long, I never intended it to be.

Other hauntings by sameeca

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sameeca, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-28)
Another strange and well written story, sameeca. Seems you've experienced quite a bit over the years and I love hearing about your encounters.
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
Why didn't you think anyne would comment?
Your story is so well written and clear to understand!

Maybe the spirit just liked animals? Lol 😊

Thankyou for posting your story!
I really enjoyed reading it.

xXelliemayXx ❤
sameeca (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
Yes, both cottages are still standing. All though now vacant. I go back sometimes, it looks just like it always has. 😁

I think my mum has had a few experiences herself, and the house was so active-you couldn't ignore it.

Thanks for the comments-I didn't think anyone would!
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
Wonderful and well written. I especially enjoyed hearing about the inspection tour by the two ghostly fisherman.
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
What an interesting story! I think it's wonderful that your mum believes you and doesn't make light of your experiences, like so many people seem to have happen on this web site. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. ❤
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
Interesting account. It sounds like the area had quite the history. No wonder there was activity.

Is the cottage/house still standing?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: