You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: An Encounter With Aswangs

Real Ghost Stories

An Encounter With Aswangs

 

Last December 26-28 2009, my family and I went to our beach in Quezon Province. Nothing scary happened on the first night although I saw some elementals there in the area but they weren't trying to harm us. They were just observing.

On the second night, something strange happened. I thought this only happened in movies. But I thought wrong. My dad, mom, three younger brothers aged 21, 17 and 15, our maid and I slept in our bahay kubo (nipa hut) because our beach house is still under construction. It was around 1:30 in the morning (December 28) when I heard gunshots, I was awoken by the sound so I got up when I saw that my mom and my dad weren't in their bed and then my brother (21) also woke up because he told me he heard gunshots so we decided to go out and check what it was. When we got out my brother and I saw my mom, dad, driver and my dad's bodyguard looking at this huge coconut tree, I asked my mom what they were doing and then my mom told me that there's an aswang (ghoul). At first I didn't want to believe it. But my dad who is a sceptic also told that he also saw it. It was a huge black bird with super red eyes (like it was glowing red). My mom also told me that when were all sleeping she was awoken by the sound of flapping wings and the sound "ik ik ik ik" and it circled the nipa hut twice as if it was looking for something or someone.

My mom told me to wake up my brothers who were still sleeping (17 and 15) and our yaya (maid) so that we would all be together. My dad fired a shot again towards the tree but the huge bird was still in hiding. My dad told his bodyguard to turn of all the lights (the moon was shining so bright that night); right after all the lights were turned off the huge bird took flight and swooped down on us. I SAW IT TOO! It was HUGE and it really had RED EYES. My dad, the driver, my brother (21), my dad's bodyguard ran after the huge bird and they tried to shoot at it again but the bird perched on another coconut tree near us and hid again. After 10 minutes or so, and after 5 more gun shots my Dad finally hit it. The huge bird cried. I got so scared. It was the most spine-chilling cry I've heard. I wasn't sure if "it" was a cry for help or just because it got hurt. It flew again away from us then after a minute we heard our neighbour's dogs howling like crazy animals so my dad and his bodyguard checked that area and the ones who got left decided to patrol the area.

When my dad and his aide reached the fence, they saw two birds crawling (why would birds crawl?) and when the birds saw them those birds tried to attack them. My other brother (15) and I decided to patrol the back of the house and wait for my dad and his aide to get back when we heard the flapping of the wings again so I decided to turn on the flashlight I was carrying and shone it in the direction in where we heard the sound, there we saw it fold its wing and it was looking straight at us. I started cussing at it and I also told it that we weren't scared of him or her. I wasn't afraid of them anymore. The roles where switched. They were the hunted and we are the hunters. Sadly, they got away. But I'm ready for the next time. I'm not afraid of them anymore.

I'm going back there next week and this time I also have a weapon with me. We'll see who's stronger... US or THEM...

Other hauntings by seventeen

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, seventeen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Ahoy Lady,

Honestly, I never really thought about why nobody's ever donated any of those things to science. However, I can only guess and those guesses open up whole new avenues that'd give way to even more avenues to truths best left unseen lest I go mad from the revelations.

Folklore-wise, aswang are ghouls who would steal into a fresh grave and dig up the corpse to eat.

Now, if we go with hard science, shooting one dead and presenting it to a scientist to dissect might lead to messy, uncomfortable truths. That there are families and villages sometimes suspected of being aswang makes this even more uncomfortable... And goes right into conspiracy theory territory. How could a bunch of cannibals exist in this country without anyone finding out?

Going with pure mysticism, the aswang would revert to its "normal" skin when dead so the poor mortician would still be wondering why you shot up a perfectly healthy person. This, then, makes one wonder if the dude sitting in the nearby cubicle during the nightshift is one of them with a day job... Which leads one to wonder why people haven't been disappearing en masse during their days off, or why there're lots of homeless people still about.

Going with the even divide between the two... The physics just don't add up.

Personally, I think the myths and folklore in the Philippines are there to justify the unexplainable and to instill a necessary fear for the younger generations to survive. That's not to say that I don't believe in them (I read up on this stuff for a reason); but sometimes, when faced with the unknown, the only thing we can all rely on is faith that things will be alright in the end if we're willing to work on it.

That being said, death by having your liver ripped out by a ghoul is not a nice way to go, so I'm hoping the OP was spinning yarns and is in perfectly good health.

In a Lovecraft mood,
Mazz
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Jasnel24: wouldn't it be a better idea to donate a dead answag to science? Just imagine how much it could be learned from studying one of these mysterious shape-shifters or, at least, one half of one.😲

Unfortunately, we haven't heard anything from the OP for over seven years... We can only hope that his weapons were stronger than the aswangs. 😜
jasnel24 (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Hi seventeen... It was a nice story. I would agree on you on your experience with the " Aswang ". I'm from cebu but grew up in Leyte and both sides of my family are open to this. I would agree that these creatures can be wounded by just a regular bullet. There are even spells that can make them fall down to the ground. It's already been proven and tested by my uncle's. However, just a warning. Please do not attempt to challenge them. You don't know what they are capable of. You might kill one but they will hunt your whole family in return. So if you really wanted to kill one, make sure to burn them right away or throw them to cliff to make sure that they can't trace their kind...
Slenderman (33 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-29)
[at] Hopping

Well, according to what I've researched/heard/read if it is the creature that it is claimed to be, shooting it cannot kill it. The only way to kill it is find the other half of its body, the lower half which is leaves behind while it hunts, and throw salt on it.

Keep it real,

Slenderman.
HoppingCorpse (2 stories) (42 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
I do not judge you for wanting to be safe from whatever is out there. But you did not tell me what exactly happened with the creatures your father and his aides did shoot down. You said they crawled on ground and tried to attack your father and bodyguard - I guess they fought them back - what happened then? What happened to the remains of these creatures? Thank you for letting me know more, although telling me the location of the place where you saw these creatures just confirmed my suspictions that those were the Large Flying foxes. They fit the explanation: the Large Flying Fox is nocturnal. You mentiond that you had coconut trees growing around the area. Well, Flying foxes feed on coconut blossoms I would not expect you to know if those coconut trees were blossoming or not. Also Flying foxes may circle a fruit tree before landing, and usually land on the tips of branches in an upright position, then fall into a head-down position from which they feed. Those are my 2 cents, I might be wrong but my strong guess is that the areas most populated by flying foxes are also the areas where Aswangs are most often seen.
Cheers!
SplyZe0315 (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
Quezon is one of the provinces I grew up in... And aswangs aren't that unusual... You WILL encounter aswangs there... Ok... Some hints... Aswangs are mortals, just more durable than a common man (rapid healing)... But they still die if hit in a vital part... They usually target people who stroll the night alone, kids, babies, unborn babies... They would kill the victim bury it in its territory and to keep a low profile, use some magic, by getting talahib (tall grass) and some combination of leaves then a certain spell to make the talahib doll look like the victim... The doll in turn goes home, suffer a deadly illness and die, leaving no tracks... They are also very cowardly and unable to stand a group or somebody that's not scared at them... So shouting at them and being loud will practically scare them... Ok... The tricky part, they shapeshift (most common are beautiful women, wild boar, snake, and a dog) so hunting them won't be that easy... Funny thing is they get baited so easy because they are NOT tactical hunters... More aswangs die from them hunting than from them being hunted... But... Another catch is... Before they die... They transform into one of the previous forms they had... So basically you won't be able to tell in most circumstances... Here's one scenario, though... We did a bait hunt one time, when one of the members claimed they hit the aswang in the chest with a throwing axe... But says the aswang was getting away by jumping from tree to tree... We chased it and it led us to a normal house... Behind it was a small servants quarters... It went in there... Then when we followed it... Inside the room where it has gone through we found a dead dog with an axe in the chest... Was it a dog after all? Can a dog jump from tree to tree over a 10ft fence then hide? After that, the family who owns the house reported the nanny of their kids missing (which we suspect was the aswang we killed)... Hope this helped as an additional info...
HoppingCorpse (2 stories) (42 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
With all due respect, from what you described, I would say that this looks like a flying fox rather than a creature from nightmares.😢
Please let me explain why:
Firstly flying foxes do live in Philippines. They are nocturnal and have bat wings - thus your mom heard flapping. They are big animals with brown-reddish eyes - google them. In darkness, many things look scarier than they really are.
Due to deforestation you might not have normally seen them, because they are an endangered species. That would also explain why the 'birds' were crawling on the ground - flying foxes are built very much like bats. Probably they got shot and were not able to fly anymore. Correct me if I am wrong as you do not describe how exactly they got away.
And they are in the same family as fruit bats - no unborn children or corpses have been registered in their diet. As for the neighbour dogs going crazy - probably they heard gunshots too.
I do not mean to come off as condescending, but I have not seen this obvious alternative mentioned here.
Lord_Manyakol (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
cool story, but I'm really skeptic about this spooky whatsoever thing. But I've researched this folklore story and it seems true. I don't want to believe that though, but this is something which is natural. BTW where's the other part of your story. Pretty interesting man! 😁
ennai_17 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
hi [at] Miracles51031 thanks for doing so... 😉 I've yet to share a lot of new stories here. Though not with the "aswang" but my experiences with ghosts and elementals... 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
applerose - hey there! I have to be quick, lunch time is over, but HEY THERE! I'm so glad to see you! 😆
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
I have no comment on this story... I just wanted to sneak in and say a quick HI to Lou and Miracles... Been out of the loop for a while... Miss ya'll guys... Nothing really interesting has happen thus far... Just a few things here and there...I'll have to combined them all later for a more interesting story... Just wanted ya'll to know that I'm still here... 😆 ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
Lou - I think that's fair 😆 and considering how many times I've been given points when there was absolutely no advice to the story, I'm good with that LOL
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
Miracles,

No problem. Just delete 5 points from your own profile for every one of mine, and I'm cool. An eye for a tooth...;)

Lou
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
Lou and Javelina - because I cleaned up some of the comments on this story, you two might have lost a couple of point yourselves when I got rid of that troll's crap. Just wanted to let you know what had happened to them.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
ennai_17 - since you are back, I decided to go ahead and delete some of the comments that were not "helpful" to you or your story. Welcome back 😊
ennai_17 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
Hi! Used to be the SEVENTEEN but I can't log in via that username anymore since the email add that I used to make that profile was from my former work. I just want to say thanks for those who believed in my story and to those who didn't. I can't please everyone.

I checked this site again today, and saw that my old post had new comments five months ago. Well, I did not mean to brag. If others thought I'd been bragging well that's your opinion. But the reason why I had to say about the driver and bodyguard because they were PART OF MY ENCOUNTER. I cannot disclose their names so I just posted their roles.

Thanks!
AlibataAtAnito (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Agree with shyenne. Welcome to the internet - expect trolls of different sorts. Best thing to do is avoid feeding him/her. Welcome to democracy - expect loud ideas. Best thing to do is respect each other's comments.
shyenne (15 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
😲
It's my first time here and just made this account. I guess, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion whether it's positive or negative. The best way to solve this issue is to ignore the person who writes negative comments. No matter how you exchange words with each other, it won't do any good, it would only make things worse. To other users just don't mind this person. If she thinks that this user is making up stories then so be it, that's her opinion anyway. She has a point too, any user can be Paris Hilton or what not. 😉
adsouza (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
Whoa! Looks like I missed the party again! Some people just write stuff for the heck of it... Which is why accounts with such an age get comments even now.
elriz23 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Man, that was scary. We were also visited by aswangs every time my mother gets pregnant so my father would always make "bagakay", a bamboo pole with a sharpened edge. They say it keeps them away. Also, in Aklan, they say that my father's land there is lived by aswangs. That's why we're not allowed to visit the area. My grandma and uncle were once followed by aswangs after going there. They attacked the house until morning. They were a lot of them. They were shooting them all night
cursedxxgoddess (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
These black birds are really big. I saw one during a basketball game at our school. It perched on top of a pole and the pole shook. Then it went to the roof and disappeared. It is blacker than night.
hulya (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-18)
this big black birdies really exists. My mother and lola told me when I was newly born 2 "tiktik" as what we call it surrounds our house coming back and forth at the room were I'm at. They said, if he sounds LOUD it is far... But when it sounds less its NEAR. When you go to provinces you'll enjoy walking in the woods with this creepy birds accompanying you.LOL
silver_surfer (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
bro was the aswang still exist in that particular area? Was the place very creepy or very far from civilization?
Narumi (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-18)
Hi Seventeen,

That was a nice story of yours... I wish I was there. Personally I'm scared of them than ghosts or spirits but I have experienced them many times before however not face to face I tried to hunt them but I couldn't find them only their shadows and sounds but I have to agree with Remuel38 about the misleading of those ASWANGs if you hear a loud flapping sounds that means their already far and otherwise if low sound or no sound at all that's means they are ready to attack. And please be careful with your plans of hunting or facing them, They are so damn strong and so pretencious, sometimes they would assume the looks of a person you know and you wound't know it. Just be observant and try to check their noses and shadows feels their aura or if you can't just be very cautious. They are not the enemy you want to mess up with.

GodBless...
Faith in HIM is your greatest weapon and shield agaist all evil.

Narumi:)
growlsjr1 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
i believe in the paranormal but I absolutely don't believe in aswangs and mananangals... But still you have a nice story
JustSaying (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-21)
Yeah I heard about aswangs. My mother told me about them when I lived in the philippines. She's a strong believer in the paranormal & would never let me round a friends house alone if they had a dog because she knew there was a possibility they were shape-shifters.
luce (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
hi seventeen, how was the hunt?
Man, I hope you could catch them on video. That would be awesome...
faith12 (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-08)
hi seventeen, don't ever under estimate them or make fun of challenging them.

Its better if you can catch them but their stronger more than what you think.

God bless you
pjlc29 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-09)
well I remember my grandmother told me about aswang... They can transform as animals or as humans... Sometimes pig, dog etc. That's a very nice story.
smcastro (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-10-26)
hi seventeen, am a writer for tv and looking for a story on aswang which would air this weekend for our halloween special. Please contact me at 0927-7391177 or smcastro [at] rocketmail.com asap, if you are willing to be interviewed regarding your true story. Thanks a lot

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: