You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Great Grandfathers Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Great Grandfathers Ghost

 

My first ever experience with ghosts took place when I was roughly 6 years old. I don't remember much about my Great Grandfather aside from seemingly random images and associated objects. I remember climbing the pear trees he grew on his land that I would routinely get stuck in and he would help me out of, the blue racquet ball I would be given to play with, and a glass topped coffee table displaying various family pictures in the living room.

It all started the day of his funeral, of which I wasn't aware of at the time. The only thing I remember about it was that my grandfather had a seizure and that they had used my blanket to try to calm him and keep him warm afterwards. From there it's a blank until the family gets together at his house later that day. I remember being told to play with a few of my relatives, but not getting along with them so I went to get my favorite blue ball to play with (he always kept it in a drawer in the kitchen.) I was too short to actually see into the drawer, but I knew it was always in the corner so I fumbled around until I pulled it out, but it slipped from my hands and rolled into the hall leading to the living room.

As I went to get the ball I noticed that the room was brightly lit with white light and my Great Grandfather was walking in or standing in front of the glass patio doorway. He looked down at me smiling and dropped to a knee with his arms open, inviting me in for a hug, but for some reason I didn't feel right and backed away from him. I don't remember what happened afterwards and didn't mention it my parents until years later in my early teens where they verified everything I told them even down to the ball in the drawer and even the placement of the furniture in the living room and knew his face from my memories before they showed me a picture of him.

Rarely, in my dreams I relive that same moment of walking into the living room... I've documented this dream on at least 5 occasions since I became aware of it. Each time seems to be more spaced apart from the last, which occurred roughly 4 years ago. I am currently 28 years old and retain all my memories and have full function of myself, but am in my younger, 6 year old body.

To this day, I have not been able to bring myself to embrace him as he seems to want. I can't say it's a feeling of fear or terror that keeps me away, but just a simple feeling of knowing something isn't right with the situation, especially knowing that I've been through the exact same experience before. This hasn't been my only run in with ghosts, but it is the one closest to home due to the special ties with the ghost involved.

Other hauntings by medarisj

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, medarisj, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
I agree with Devious. But I was also thinking that maybe the feeling you had was because that spirit wasn't really him? I could be wrong. But thanks for sharing. Bless you.

~~LSD~~
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
sorry wrong story. Ignore that last post! I meant to post it on another story!lmmfao!

~~LSD~~ 😕
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Sorry, I wanted to add, that I have been to a million TOOL shows around the world & I don't know about anyone else but to me they are really spiritual experiences. I mean really powerful, I know others share this opinion. So I wonder if something sinister followed you from the show? It is something to think about. OKAY I'm done, LOL! Bless you.

~~LSD~~
medarisj (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
No worries, it was so long ago and I was so young. I've talked to many people, religious and otherwise and that's the same advise I always receive.

Whether he's an angel, a spirit, a demon or something else entirely is debateable, but I always trust my gut instincts, even when it breaks my heart to see his face when I deny him.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
I'm sorry to hear that you lost him. I can understand your reluctance in going to him. I think you might be continually dreaming this because you feel that there has not been closure to the situation. Particularly in figuring out why you did not feel safe embracing him, which I don't blame you for! It's scary to know that someone has died and then suddenly there they are in front of you.

No matter what, I think you should go with your gut instinct. If it tells you to stay away, that might be best. If you have any control over it, try telling him in your dreams that you love him but it's time to move on.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: