You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Beast In The Shadows

Real Ghost Stories

Beast In The Shadows

 

I know that this seems kind of out there but I swear that it's true. When I was a kid my sisters and my mom and I lived with my grandparents. The house itself always felt safe.

One day our neighbors got a new dog. It was an average sized black dog. But since I was a kid I guess it seemed bigger. My neighbor and I were friends so we played a lot together but his dog never seemed to like me. Every time I would go near the mesh fence the dog would start to growl and show me its teeth. So eventually I stopped going to my neighbor's house. But at night I would hear it barking at stray cats or other wildlife and it would freak me out because it would sound so close.

The dog was frightening to me. I just sensed something dark about it. Then one day after school I had heard from my mom that my neighbor's dog had died that morning. I was sad for my neighbor but a little relieved. The rest of the day went by like normal. But that night things got very strange.

That night after I fell asleep, I had strange dreams about that dog. I'm my dream, the dog was still alive and it had jumped the fence and started to attack just me out of everyone in my house. I remember being so terrified. I woke up freaked out then I heard a noise at the side of my bed and I turned to see what it was and it was my neighbor's dead dog sitting next to my bed. I can still remember those glowing solid yellow eyes staring at me. I started screaming but I couldn't move. It's like my body was paralyzed by the dog's stare or something. After what felt like hours of horror my mom finally rushed in the room to see what was wrong. As soon as my mom got to the bed, the dog growled and backed into the wall leaving only its head and front legs exposed and then it just melted into the ground. My mom asked me if I was ok and I asked her if she saw the dog. She told me that she didn't see it. She assured me that it was only a nightmare. But I knew it wasn't. I was fully awake when I saw the dog next to the bed.

I never saw the dog at that house after that but as the years past I knew that its presence was there at times. I lived in Georgia very briefly one time and while I was there I went to a psychic. I didn't actually tell her about the dog but she told me that my intuition is strong which I agree with. Sometimes I just know certain things. Like who is going to call or come ring the door bell or more recently. I have noticed that when I let my mind wonder at work, out of nowhere I will start seeing certain TV programs in my mind and sure enough when I get home and turn on the TV the same program is on.

I'm not saying that I'm psychic. I just think that the dog is somehow tied to my intuition. I have seen the dog recently. I live in Austin Texas now and almost a week ago I was talking on my phone while walking home around 3 in the morning then I looked to the house at the end of the street and I saw its shadow against the white door of the house. I could clearly make out the shape of the dog sitting facing forward and very briefly I saw those same glowing eyes. I kept my conversation going to keep myself from freaking out. But as soon as I got home I went inside and locked the door. The very next day my mom called me and told me that my great aunt was going to pass very soon. I didn't know what to think? Is the Black dog a harbinger of death? Am I really gifted or am I just nuts and like to jump at shadows?

Please help me out on this.

Other hauntings by pman2010

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pman2010, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

alb15 (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
ive had this experiance there was this cat following me when I see if its still following me it vanishes. Also I have had the tv thing happen to me but I dream about what's going to happen, next day it all happens what I have dreamed
vamps_r_out (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-03)
Heya loved your post! Not to be a kill joy but about the tv thing - same thing happens to me, it's usually just when you think about what programs haven't been on recently and then they do:) and reading some of the comments about hellhounds I hope you don't have one!:)
Supernaturalover (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
Dear pman, I believe what you saw both times is a hellhound. The dog you described fits perfectly the description of a hellhound. Beware the hellhound legend says if you look into the dog's eyes 3 times you will die. I believe this is the same dog but has turned into something evil. Say the lord's prayer if you see this dog again.
cristy (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
HUN, If I were you I would try to contact the spirit because what if you truly have a gift. You can't just let it go to waste. Hope this helps You a bit/ ❤
pman2010 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-04)
I really want to find out what it really was that I saw. For some reason its been bugging me lately. If there is a way to contact it, should I do it?
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-01)
I find your story very interesting and quite scary.

My aunt used to talk about a black dog that would follow her, sometimes just sit next to her bed at night... But in her case it was protecting her, though it would frighten her at times she always saw it as protection. I never saw the dog but she would point at it, which would creep me out. In your case it seem evil... Especially seeing it at 3am. All I can say is to be very careful.
Also, I can definitely relate to your gift, I would be thinking of a movie I haven't seen in a while or a TV show and when I would get home it would be on... It happens almost every single time. Same with knowing when or who is calling or at the door... I don't know if is a gift or a coincident.

I hope you're safe.
Looney
JimD (431 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
You are gifted and you're not nuts. As a demonologist, I can assure you it was no dog, nor was it Casper - it is a demon. 3 AM is the demonic witching hour (because it mocks the hour Jesus died on the Cross), and going to a psychic only empowered it.
Use a lot of (Catholic) Holy water, blessed salt, and the names of Jesus, Mary, and St. Michael the Archangel. The Holy Rosary also helps, and, if Catholic, I strongly recommend frequent receipt of the sacraments. Command it to leave in Jesus' name. Good luck. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
I find this story very intriguing, particularly because of the reaction the dog seemed to have specifically toward you. Had you seen it act up around anyone else? I too have seen something similar (if you are interested, read my story about the atrium woman & the wolf), though I believe that the spirit I saw, terrifying as it was, was somehow trying to protect me. He has sort of become a familiar friend when I get scared nowadays. The same might be true for your circumstance. Do you think it's possible that another entity or spirit has attached itself to you, and perhaps that's what the dog was defensive against, rather than YOU personally?
pman2010 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
Thanks everyone who commented so far. I really appreciate your responses.

I never really thought to try and contact it. Both times I seen the dog it had a very agressive vibe to it. Like it could just attack at any moment. The second time I saw it I had to keep turning around to make sure it wasn't following me.

I never really learned its name but a friend told me to look for it through a Quiiji Board. Iam now a Wiccan and I know that using one of those is nothing but bad news.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Please keep them coming guys
Thank you
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Maybe when the dog was alive & living next door in your friends yard, it saw you as an intruder or was jelous of your friendship with it's owner? Dogs can sence fear in a person so I suppose even in death? Have you tried to communicate with it? Have you tried to befriend it? Do you know it's name? Have you tried leaving food offerings for it? Maybe you could befriend it in it's current state? A ghost dog would be quite an ally in the dark of the night:)
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Yours is not the first I've heard of Black or Ghostly Dogs.

Http://www.djmcadam.com/blackdogs.htm

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_ (ghost)

But like a living dog, one should be careful around them.
MsAngelsndemons (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
This is the first time I have ever heard a story like yours. I believe you though. Did you ever heard of recarnation? Well I think that probably in the past life the dog was a 'human' and had something agianst some one who probably looked a lot like you. Maybey that's why he hated you alot, but who knows I could be worng. I'm just trying to help you out. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: