You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: High Street "Nobody"

Real Ghost Stories

High Street "Nobody"

 

There it was again. The rapping at the window in the spare room. It happens every night at the same time, without fail. At first I thought it was a practical joke. I laughed at it, recalling the fright of it to my mother over breakfast in the morning. When it happened the next night I was annoyed.

Deep in the moment of writing, I was lost in my words and the dance music that had been replaying since early in the evening. I wanted to open the window, rap a few times to scare whoever was outside interrupting my flow of creativity. I loved the house. My inspiration had peaked since my family and I had moved into the old weather board house. Nights were always the best times for writing, and usually I was the only one brave enough to be awake at such hours.

This night I decided to leave it once again, planning to give the house a look over the next day for footprints or fingerprints on the dusty window. In the morning I went outside, walking down the cracked cemented footpath to the window. There was nothing. No fingerprints, no markings, just dust. I put it down to the wind, it was the only explanation as to why the rapping had occurred, and it was an old house after all. The next night I sat huddled up and freezing, since our heater had stopped working, and I hated leaving the doors open in the hallway- It always gave me the chills, like something was watching, travelling. It was after two when I heard the sound of footsteps clomping along the wooden floorboards of the verandah.

In my bedroom my sister slept soundly, so I took the next approach at waking my mother to help investigate. We both went to the window outside my bedroom and saw no one. I told my mother about the time, and how it had been happening for the past few nights at the same time. We concluded that it was definitely some prankster, and I decided I was far too disturbed to continue writing.

In the morning I took another look, this time at the verandah out the porch, in search for footprints. To my awe there were none. The gate was closed, and my dog showed no signs of discomfort when I put him on the verandah for a sniff.

The following night I decided to go to sleep. I didn't want to be awake when it happened again, but much to my disappointment the sound of boots on the verandah woke me up. I switched on the lamp, my heart racing violently. I decided then to face my fears, and look out the window to see who was making these late night visits. I looked out the lace curtains to see no one. In the short distance I followed the footpath to the front gate which was opened slightly. Then I heard it, the rapping at the window. I threw back my blankets, running to my mother's bedroom. It didn't take long for me to wake her up, but the hair was rising on the back of my neck, and an overwhelming sensation of fear sank deep within me. By the time my mother and I reached the study the rapping had stopped. I checked the window, making sure the windows were closed. To my horror they were closed shut. There was no wind, and across the garden, and through the trees the gate was still open.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ProdigiousMirth, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-19)
I myself find "rap" annoying. The first word that came to mind when reading this was "poe". Not as well written or with a story worth purchasing, if it were in book form, but in his style never the less. You must be a fan of his. As far as the rapping noise, is that all you have experienced?
waddesdon (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-17)
what I would do if its until happening I would set up a video camerrar were the window is and were you hear the footsteps but I would be freecked out! 😊
robertar (223 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
Is this still happening? If the timing is that specific, it would be simple to set up a video camera in the window.

If you are worried, would you consider praying, asking God to stop the phenomena? I try to remember to pray nightly (mostly to protect my child, as well as the rest of us here) , and coincidentally I don't have mysterious knockings on my windows.
bigC (4 stories) (80 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
and if you are 100% fixed on it being paranormal its most likly a residual huant which means it isn't really there its just like a playback that keeps rewinding over and over
WiztipskiMor (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
Just a pragmatic thought, but, as it gets colder, wood shrinks at night and sounds like knocking. If you have a weather-board house this could be what it is, stretching and shrinking the window frames too, making everything creak and knock.
ProdigiousMirth (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
No I do not mean rap, and no offense, but I really take that kind of humor to offense. If you haven't been in that situation before, I don't think it is a nice thing to joke about. I take my experiences seriously. If you have experiance anything, you should to. 😐
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-15)
Georgeisalegend I'm not such a fan of rap myself however I do not think she was talking about the music. Your comment did make me smile though. Refer to the poem "The Raven" if you are still confused.
pipsta (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-15)
I have heard of a similar thing happening to a friend of a friend in WA. Very unnerving!
Georgeisalegend (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-15)
wow, I don't really know how to comment on this... But I hate rap a lot and that would getme annoyed too!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: