You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mumbling In My House And Other Weird Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Mumbling In My House And Other Weird Experiences

 

Unlike my other stories, this isn't about one particular event; it's more of a compilation of weird experiences that have happened at my house. In order to justify submitting this, I've just combined a bunch of little things that have occurred while I've been living at my house.

As many of you know, I live in the same house I had grown up in as a child. I've lived here my whole life, I am now 29 years old, and live here with my mother and my husband. This house belonged to my grandmother, who passed away when I was 11 years old. Other than the very weird incident of seeing my mother's doppelganger in the bathroom mirror, I've only had a few minor incidences here while my grandmother was still alive.

When I was little, I used to sleep with my Nana in the master bedroom. Once I remember feeling someone rub my back as I lay in bed on my stomach, but my Nana (who used to rub my back sometimes) was not in the room at the time. I know that when it happened I had been upset about something (can't remember what it was now, maybe some drama at school), and the rubbing my back made me feel better. I remember that it actually FELT like my Nana's hand, the strength and touch on my back felt the same as her hand. I remember when I told her about it, she said something to the effect of, "It was an angel sent by God to comfort you." That was actually a very nice experience.

Another thing is that at night, when we would be in bed, I would see a white light, about the size of a baseball, spin really fast, behind my eyelids. This happened every night before I fell asleep, in my Nana's room, for months. I was a pretty smart, rational kid, and just chalked it up to some eye problem. Until the night I decided to open my eyes. When I opened my eyes I saw the light spinning around and around the room, so fast I could barely follow it with my eyes. The next day I asked my Nana if she had ever seen it. She said that she had, but she would just ignore it, keep her eyes shut, and told me I should do the same.

My family is Catholic, and while they believe in paranormal things, they prefer not to acknowledge it. This spinning white ball of light actually gave off its own light, slightly illuminating the normally pitch black room. I would see it every night for about 8 months, until I was about 8 or 9 years old, not long after my Nana told me to ignore it. One night it just disappeared and never came back.

Nothing strange occurred in my home again until I was in my early 20s. I wasn't married yet, so it was just my mom and me in this house. Since we are both night owls, the 2 of us would hang out in the living room and watch TV together every night until all hours of the morning, sometimes as late as 4 or 5am. Then one of us would tell the other we were going to bed, and the other would soon follow suit. Well, on occasion my mom couldn't get to sleep, so she would get back up and watch more TV in the living room. If this happened, I would hear the TV go back on, and also return to the living room. On many occasions, too many to count, I would hear either the TV, or low, mumbling voices coming from the living room. Thinking my mom had gotten back up; I would get out of bed and go to the living room, only to find the house completely dark and quiet, and my mom sound asleep in her room. Let me tell you that was freaky!

One time, I distinctly remember hearing voices, a man and a woman, talking in low, mumbled voices. I could never hear what they were saying, but I took note that they sounded calm, not like they were fighting or anything. In fact, I heard the woman's voice go up an octave, as though she was asking the man a question. Sometimes I would hear the man and woman, sometimes just the man, and a few times I heard an audience laughing, as though someone was watching a comedy on TV. Although I could never hear the words, sometimes the man would have a loud booming voice; it reminded me of a TV show announcer. I would strain my ears to try and hear what was being said, but this was the most I could ever make out. I know that from reading the stories on this site that it was probably a residual energy, but I don't know if it was residual sounds from the TV, or residual energy of my grandparents, but I'm kind of doubtful about it being the latter. When I had asked my Mom if she ever heard "the mumbling," she just smiled wryly at me and said, "Why do you think I keep the fan on in my room all the time?" That was enough for me. If I was crazy, at least we were both crazy together.

One thing I've noticed is that the mumbling sounds coming from the living room have decreased greatly since my husband moved in, and they disappeared completely after we got married a year later. I never quite figured out why, maybe because there's now a man in the house...?

The last weird thing to happen was just over a year ago. It was actually the incident that prompted me to search online and find this great website.

My husband and I had had an argument, and he went to bed angry. My mom was already in her room, and I stayed up, reading online in the living room, not about anything even remotely paranormal. We have a large black security door leading to the front porch, and beyond that is the regular wooden door that leads to the entrance of the house. As it was summer, we kept the wooden door open, to keep the house cool at night. While online, I heard the black security door SLAM, so loud that I screamed "Someone's in the house!" I thought that a burglar broke in. My mom came running from her room, hearing the slam, along with our dog Fibi, who had started barking. I was frozen in the living room in fear, standing up, with my laptop in my hands, ready to hurl it at the burglar. I couldn't leave the living room, as I would have had to pass the front door to do so, and I wasn't going to do that while someone was breaking in. We stood there a couple of seconds in fear, with Fibi still barking and my mom went to look on the porch for someone. My brave Mom. Anyway, when she checked, the security door was locked, nothing out of place. She deduced it was probably a neighborhood cat that bumped or ran into the door. I know that slam was way too loud to have been an animal, it was an actual SLAM. I'm the only one who slams that door, and even I couldn't have slammed it that loud, even while angry. I even went to check on my husband, hoping he somehow pulled a prank, but he was sound asleep the entire time. I've read enough on this site to know that family arguments can kick up activity, and this has never happened before or since.

I live in an average sized, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home in sunny southern California, about 10 miles away from Los Angeles. My grandparents were the first owners of this house, purchased brand new in 1960. All I know about the history before that is that this whole area used to be a turkey farm. I'm not really scared of living here; after all, the only people who died in this house were all family members. The only thing that makes me nervous is out 1st bathroom, if you read my previous story you'll know why.

Thanks for reading. Sorry it's so long.

Genevieve

Other hauntings by Fashionista777

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fashionista777, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BlanknameSpace (1 stories) (24 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-24)
ohhh also, on the note of ghost music, I have a funny story about that. I'm young, only 15 years old, and this summer I was hanging out with two of my friends up in a small town called sayward (population 900) where they live
And so we were out farther in the bush due to the fact that we were camping. And as we walked down stream of a small river we started hearing party music, so doing what kids do we went to investigate... Needless to say we tracked the music to an old abandoned dirt pit and as we crested the hill that led into the pit the music cut off, it just wasn't there anymore it just stopped not even a risidual sound. But this is in the middle of the forest with houses miles from there, Whats your take?
BlanknameSpace (1 stories) (24 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-24)
yeah lately I've been having weird experiences too, late at night for like the past week now,
And probably this night as well... I've been hearing someone or something call my name and whisper things to me before I fall asleep...
It usually says my name in a quiet whispery tone, and it sounds as if it's speaking into my ear...
redrider (19 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-19)
When I was 5 or 6, my mon had our catholic priest bless our house. Right away, at night I would hear mummbling, like a party going on down stairs. There would be laughing. You could see white shadow like figures floating up and down the stair case. Spent most of my childhood scared at night. My brothers and sisters herd it too. When we moved we all pleadedwith our mom not to have the new house bless. My brother in his late40s can not sleep with the lights off, for the past 3-4 years I have been dealing with "night vistors". Becareful of you and your family.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
Hey Fashionista: Good to hear from you again, I like reading your stories this is another good one I like the details you put into them. Hahaha the slamming of the door would have scared the crap out of me also, I hate it when your pre occupied and least expecting something to happen. Its true as you mentioned the negative energy that night could have stirred up some activity in your home you know they love to feed of this, or it could be something that was displeased with the whole situation? Just a thought?.
The mumbling you described I first thought was residual aswell, when you heard this mumbling did you ever try to slowly creep out to the lounge to see what was going on? I'm curious to know this. Keep us posted.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
bill Bean, Dark Force. The book describes a long term demonic haunting the family had when he was a kid. He says that he and others would see an entity that looked like his mother at times of attacks, and at other times. He says he thinks it was an angel.
trueckl (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
Hi Fashionista777! I too have heard mumbling noises in my own house, as has my daughter. My daughter has heard actual talk beyond the mumbling. Recently she has heard her name being called and "don't be afraid", which, needless to say, has left her terrified! I have also heard music playing like lanafairy81 and searched the house to try and find the source only to come up completely empty and scratching my head. Our house is brand new, having been built five years ago by my husband, so I am at a loss for an explanation for these occurrances, much like you unfortunately are.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
A tip on the mubling, when I moved into my new place, we bought a new fridge. Shortly after we would hear what sounded like moaning, people mubling or dogs howling. It took a few months, but it was finally narrowed down to the new fridge. It made the sounds and boy, were they creepy. Now after a year of running, it only occusially makes the "howling" sound when the compressor kicks on. So, was there an new applicances in your house during this time? Perhaps any old one? Trying to see if there could have been a a locial reason why you were hearing the noices. Glad things cleared up.
Lanafairy81 (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
Hello
I too have heard mumbling before in my house and other places, I have never been able to identify the words but can hear it clearly like someone having a conversation, I have also heard music play before but have always just thought it was my imagination running wild.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: