You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Brown Mountain Lights

Real Ghost Stories

Brown Mountain Lights

 

A new fascination has erupted for my society, L.I.G.H.T.S. It's a place called Brown Mountain that's located in Burke County, North Carolina. There are different places to view these lights, I've been to 2 places myself. My first trip to Brown Mountain was at Mile Marker 310 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was in the late spring of this year (2010). The trees had bloomed too big to see the mountain much, so Dustin and I stayed and gazed upon the night sky. An electrical storm hit the Brown Mountain the entire time I was there, which was near 3 hours, give or take a bit. Two lights that looked like stars were moving in the sky above us. They were parallel to one another and moved at the same speed. They made no noise and moved fast. They disappeared though, into the night sky. A few moments after they disappeared from our vision, another light to our right appeared in the sky. It flashed bright and poof... It was gone! Seeing those two lights move next to each other the way they did was very interesting and it definitely sparked my interest of the Brown Mountain legends.

A few weeks later, I was told about another overlook. It is no doubt an overlook that has been promising to my belief of the paranormal there at Brown Mountain. It's located on Highway 181 near Morganton, NC. The view is amazing and the sunsets I've experienced there have been wonderful. Another electrical storm was hitting Brown Mountain as myself, Dustin, April & Geoffrey arrived on June 19th. The lightning was bolting from the magnificent clouds that were blazing pink, red, orange and yellow colors from the sunset. Tina came to join the team just in time. It was still daylight, but a couple bright balls of light had already appeared on the ridge line of Brown Mountain. They were great! I was so excited! The lights were showing up on the video camera. To get evidence as we got that night, it's one incredible thing to have. Lights kept appearing, in different colors, in different sizes. Some made the formations of a trapezoid, then into a parallelogram! Some were in the formation of a triangle, and some in a circle! Lights spread across the ridgeline and continued to blink off and on and shine so bright for us to view. Many people came and went at the overlook. Most didn't realize the lights they were seeing were of the legends. I'm sure people left that seen the lights but thought they were a town. I thought the lights were a town too, until I seen a big bright ball of light fly across the ridgeline of Brown Mountain for a long time. I did not see that light the first night though, nor the second, but the third visit. Something in the night sky flew over my friends & I that night. None of us seen what made the noise flying over our heads, but we all knew it was big. Tina had a feather appear in her vehicle's passenger seat while she was viewing the lights. Dustin & I have heard a raspy voice from the thicket. The voice was heard on our third visit to the overlook and it seemed like it said to us, "Why are you bothering me?" It then said, "What?" Interesting, eh? Indeed.

I do not think these lights are swamp gas, as some would think. I do not think they are indian spirit maidens looking for their loved ones either. Perhaps they have something to do with what's out of this world, such as space, ufos, aliens... Perhaps they are many earthly spirits, dancing about. It did seem that the electrical storm made them more apparent, more abundant. My third time there, the moon was very bright and full. The lights were smaller, and not as bright. Before it was dark on my third visit, I watched a ball of light fly down from the daylight sky. Dustin said it was a meteorite. Maybe it was... I'm still not sure, but I know I heard something hit the ground after I seen it fly in the sky. Wish I could find what hit, but the thicket that it fell into would be almost impossible. I know we will continue to seek into the unknown of the Brown Mountain Lights. I hope to get a new video recorder soon, to catch these lights digitally instead of through the Hi8 tapes like I am using now for evidence. If you have not been to Brown Mountain, you should try and make the trip one night. Maybe you will find them fascinating too.

Other hauntings by Ramzey

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ramzey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
I've been back to the same overlook on Hwy 181 to check out the lights. They have showed themselves every time. Something has growled at me from the thicket also. Sounded like a big cat, with a low growl... Eek! I'm not a fan of sharp teeth!
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-02)
Rob27-
Wow, I also YouTubed it, and there are personal videos, songs, and documentaries about these lights. I was too freaked out to watch any, though. 😨
Rob27 (7 stories) (20 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-09-02)
If you YouTube the title of this story it shows videos of the lights.
Being a big skeptic up until last year I now believe in the paranomal. But extraterrestrials have never been a question of doubt in my mind, all those planets in the whole solar system and we're the only living planet? I don't think so. There's something else out there. Good story!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
Ramzey: These lights sound awesome, I'm also thinking extraterrestrial in this circumstance would be great to see some videos of this or pictures? I'm curious about the voice you heard sounds quite freaky, I'm going to look more into this.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: