You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sister in the Mirror?

Real Ghost Stories

Sister in the Mirror?

 

I am 24 and am not a religious or spiritual person. I have lived in my house for over 10 years, and have never felt or experienced anything supernatural or felt anything strange in any of the rooms in my house, or anywhere else for that matter.

It was about 11AM and I had just stepped out of the shower, and had dried and dressed. It's the summer time so my siblings are not in school, and everyone sleeps in, so I just assume they are home. I opened the bathroom door and was looking in the mirror, messing with my hair, when I see the reflection of my sister run by from the kitchen to the dining room. She is 13 and is always trying to scare me. So thinking I now had the upper hand, I withdrew into the bathroom and closed the door. Waiting her out for about a minute until she got bored and gave herself up, but there's nothing, not a breath, footstep, or giggle. From around the corner I open the door and stick my hand out waving at her, knowing she is hiding in the dining room. Then I take the 4 steps that it takes to get to my room from the bathroom quickly never turning the corner to acknowledge that she is still hiding from me. I get to my room and lie there for a minute or two, and I call her phone.

In the background, I can hear her friends laughing, which is when I realize that she is not home. I feel sick, and my stomach is knotted up, and I already know the answer but I ask her if she is at home. She tells me that she hasn't been home since yesterday. I call everyone else in my family and ask if they are home or have been home. But I am the only one. Now I am not easily scared, but the fact is, I didn't think I saw a ghost, I thought it was my sister. Only after I found out that no one was home but me, did I get that sick feeling in my gut. I don't know what I saw in the mirror, but it was moving. And it had to be moving because I was standing still and saw it. I saw long black hair and brown clothing, but no face. The only thing I can think of is that there has been digging in front of my house, both construction and my mom is having a fountain/mini-pond put in in front of the house.

Could we have disturbed someone? Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this? I would love to know. That's why I stumbled upon this site. Let me know guys, it feels horrible to be uneasy in your own home. Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheGrimace, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
I have read and I think you experienced seeing a ghost of a person that is still alive. I have read that before, and that is probably what happened.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
Monica5, I may have answered you in one of my stories. I apologize for any confusion. I do have an article on this site with the directions for completing a smudge ceremony.

www.yourghoststories.com/ghost-articles/native-american-ceremony.php

The reason you get so many different answers about how to perform the ceremony is because there is no one true way to do it. Each area or tribe had its own way of doing the ceremony. The one I have is a combination of the tribes and has worked for me in the past. It not only removes the negative energies, but replaces them with positive ones. For those thinking of performing the ceremony I always make them aware that the sage is a strong scent and can be a little over powering at first same with the cedar. But by the time you complete the ceremony with the sweet grass braids your home will have a peacefully earthy feel and smell to it. If renting a home or apartment you may want to let the owner or neighbors know what you are doing so as to not cause a stir. If I can be of further assistance, please just let me know.

Peace, Love and Luck be with you.
monica5 (3 stories) (22 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
SHANE: I have read about smudging and believe it to really work. I believe this is something that Grimmace should do. It is a simple enough task I believe as beforE shane I had posted somewhere on here about that process and directed my question to you if you get this let me know. I am very interested in this and would appreciate if you could direct me in how to do one. I have read a lot of sights on this and some ask for different ingredients then the last and all around I never get a one way to do it. I would like to know from you if possible.
Thank you
M5
monica5 (3 stories) (22 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
Grimmace,
I totally believe you and your very drtailed account. I have experienced similar activity in my home but didn't feel threatend by it. I had always hoped that it was my deceased brother that made me feel at ease. There is a lot of factors. Do you know the history of your home? Sometimes like you said the littlest things can disturb the deceased even simple things like banging on the walls and tearing down walls in the home. I know that like you when I had my experiences I would constantly be going back to that day and playing it back in my mind trying to conclude that it may be this or that but only came back to my original sighting as being something unexplained. It took me a long while before I could go day by day without being jumpy at every sound or movement in my home. But eventually it passes the only thing I can recommend is stay alert of your surroundings and see if it happens again, sometimes our minds do play tricks on us if you want to believe it or not and it is usually a second encounter that really proves we weren't seeing things. All will be okay.
M5
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
Cass, it sounds like you could be describing the creature from the movie 'Jeepers Creepers'! Just poking fun but if you haven't seen it, it's great. One of my personal faves! 😉
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
It is possible that the spirit had been there all along and just never made its presense known. Now with the construction going on and things that are known are becoming different she could be making her displeasure known. Spirits don't usually like change and will make it known to those who are able to perceive them. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but if you want you can perform a Native American Smudge ceremony on the home to cleanse it of any negative energies. I have the directions on how to perform one here on the site in the articles section. Good luck to you and let us know if anything new happens.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
It could have been a doppelganger. Google doppleganers. In short, it's a "vision" for lack of a better word, of something that looks exactly like someone you know.
TheGrimace (1 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
No, her hair was straight, black and long, and I assume its a girl because she had a slender delicate frame.

No hat either.

But that's weird nonetheless.
Cass (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
Was the "person" you saw really tall with long, scraggly black hair?

Also, any chance that it was wearing a hat and the brown clothing was a dark brown duster-type coat?

If so, it sounds like an entity I call "Top Hat Guy". Lots of people are seeing him, often in trees but also in mirrors and around other glass.

It's the damnest thing. Ever.
xLadyTastyx (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
I am only 13 and have had many experiences with ghosts but none strictly as frightening as this one. Although I would love to offer you some sort of help or reasurrance concerning your situation, I cannot as I really don't know how to explain it as I have never had an occurence even... Remotely resembling yours :p So sorry that you are frightened but I do hope you have peace of mind and that the ghosts will leave you in peace. Stay Blessed xx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: