You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Can Mirror Serve As A Portal?

Real Ghost Stories

Can Mirror Serve As A Portal?

 

I don't know if I can very conveniently blame the mirror for my experience?

But this is what happened.

Few days have past since my experience and I waited to see if what happened will repeat but thankfully it did not. So, I am not sure whether what I experienced was paranormal or not.

I, my now 6 year old son and my husband sleep together in the master bedroom of our house.

There is a washroom in my room and I have placed my wardrobe to the wall of the washroom. It has got a full size mirror (lengthwise) on it which almost reaches to the foot of the wardrobe. My bed is placed near to the wardrobe. My son sleeps near wall, I sleep in center and my husband sleeps on the edge. That way my head is exactly a foot and half away from the mirror. (In case I couldn't explain the setting that well, my apologies)

One night, not so late, when we all were sleeping (we had been sleeping only for few minutes since I always look at the time before going to bed), something came and stood at my head. I couldn't feel it moving from here to there. It just felt as if it came out of the mirror. And it moved its hands (it felt that way) from my shoulders to my wrist. It kind of wanted to pin me down. It was leaning over me. It was trying to harm me. It wasn't anything sexual. I could feel it wanted to just harm me. And I struggled to grab its hand which were on my wrists.

I didn't open my eyes. Actually I couldn't open them. But I struggled to stop it from overpowering me.

After a few moments (I couldn't count in seconds or minutes), it went away with a whoosh...

I mean I couldn't feel it moving in the room. It went the same way it appeared.

Finally, I could open my eyes and still pinned on the bed I stared at the ceiling. I only moved my eyes and saw my husband fast asleep and my child safe as well.

I was more concerned about my son as in the past he was the one to experience all the paranormal stuff and I couldn't feel a thing.

When I was able to move, I rolled towards my son and put my hand on him to check if he was okay. He was fine without any impact.

My heart kept thumping all the time, I was still scared. But, somehow I managed to take a look at the mirror. It was okay as well. But for some reason, I couldn't stop associating the incident to the mirror. It feels as if it came out from the mirror and it went back through it again. I say "it" as I couldn't feel if it was a male or a female or an animal. But something surely came out.

For few more nights, I slept the same way, but couldn't feel anything.

Other hauntings by good-ghosts

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, good-ghosts, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Marykori (6 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-11)
Hi, as per vastu shastra, mirror can emit positive or negative energies depending upon thr positions, in any case it should not reflect bed, I would rather cover the mirror if position can't be changed
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
Hi good-ghosts,

Some years ago, my younger sister had a similar experience to yours. She had woken up feeling that someone meant her harm and was pinning her onto the bed. Being a nurse, she knew all about sleep paralysis and she was certain it was not that. She suspected that the problem came from the mirror, which reflected the bed and faced the bedroom window. Her solution was to cover the mirror with a cloth and place a rosary blessed by a priest on the window sill.

Our mother follows Taoist Feng-shui practices and had often told us that the mirror should not face the bed. She believes that the mirror can somehow draw away energy from people when they sleep. Maybe the practice is to stop people giving themselves a scare from their own reflection when they get up at night?

If it makes you feel better, cleanse and bless your place. Maybe you can try covering the mirror or moving it to another position. Or get an amulet blessed by a religious elder of your belief and hang it over the mirror. Do whatever feels most suitable for you. Rituals and talismans are meant to help give us peace of mind.

For your reference, here's my sister's experience and another YGS account involving mirrors, as well as info on Feng Shui about mirrors facing the bed:
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25839
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=19058
Https://www.thespruce.com/feng-shui-tips-for-a-mirror-facing-the-bed-1274767
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
I have read that mirrors do function as a portal of sorts. I have read about dozens of experiments by paranormal-interested scientists (and bored teens) that have involved mirrors. Some of the results gained were truly fascinating. Given all of that, I have never been able to sleep in a room where I can see my reflection in a mirror as I lay to go to sleep. Either I move the furniture, do not go to sleep, or leave the room. Mirrors at night have always creeped me out!
blckwdnsdy (6 stories) (32 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
Hello,

In the first place, I want to state that I am very sorry about your accident. Hope you get better fast.

Secondly, I read the other comments, about sleep paralysis.
I have had sleep paralysis for a few years now and I want to say that some experiences can be so intensive and frightening that make me want to never sleep again and they always happen when I sleep alone, which makes it harder to understand and try to remain calm.

I had a few encounters where I would wake up feeling pinned down, when I would hallucinate and feel like something is grabbing my hands or head and lifting me up from the bed, I once woke up feeling that somebody was trying to suffocate me and I couldn't move.

So these experiences can be indeed terrifying and can feel very very true.

You can encounter it while falling asleep or waking up. I really hope that this is a singular experience for you. I do not exclude a paranormal cause, but I strongly believe that what you encountered is related to such a sleep distrubance.

About you kid, I know that kids can be very sensitive and I can recall my own experiences from childhood, which were a lot. Some were minor happenings, others were apparitions that scared me a lot. But, like we all do, children eventually grow up out of this. We are all more sensitive when we are little.

Like I said, I hope that you'll be ok, and I am sending you good thoughts.
Take care ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-04)
good-ghosts - I'm sorry to hear about your accident in which you were so badly injured.

Please don't try to link the accident to your unpleasant experience with a nasty entity or sleep paralysis, whichever it might have been. You'll drive yourself crazy if you let your mind wander in that direction. I've had accidents (motor vehicle and others) and have had quite a number of paranormal experiences. I can assure you that none of my misfortunes were linked in any way whatsoever to any ghosts which might have been hovering around at the time!

A cleansing of your home might be in order. Do you have religious affiliations where you can seek assistance for a blessing of your home? There are also some good cleansing methods online. Then of course there's Rook's trusty method (which "sells" like hotcakes)! Have a look at this link:
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

I get the impression that you're very frightened. If you experience anything else unnerving, try not to show too much fear. Tell "it" to get out of your home as it does not belong there and is unwelcome.

Regards, Melda
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Hello good-ghost,

It was a terrifying experience indeed. I agree with the previous posters that mirrors have always been associated with paranormal activities and often are deemed "portals" to the other world by some cultures as well.

I obviously abide by the fact that the probable cause of the appearance of the entity is the mirror. However this one thing strikes my mind if you don't mind my intrudence.

"I was more concerned about my son as he was the one to experience all the paranormal stuffs"

Can I ask you what kind of experiences your son had?

Did your son experienced these activities in your house only?

Did he ever mentioned anything in particular about an entity or probably the mirror?

Lastly, do you or your son feel somehow uncomfortable being near that mirror? Or is it just the normal?

I believe digging a little into the background can provide some clearance to the above incident. The paranormal maybe has more sides to which you're unaware of. Didn't wanted to scare you with that. Don't take my word for it.

I pray for the well- being of your family.

Peace
good-ghosts (6 stories) (42 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Some of the people here are well experienced. Could you tell me how to avoid such things in future. Please. Please.
good-ghosts (6 stories) (42 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Melda,

You said, "So there's a gap between your pillows and the mirror. Have I got that right? If that's the case then I understand how this entity reached you in the middle without having to lean over your husband or son."
This is absolutely how the placement is. There is almost a feet's gap between my head and mirror.
good-ghosts (6 stories) (42 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Thank you for taking interest.
As far as sleep paralysis is concerned, I have only read about it, never got a chance to experience anything of that sort. If it was sleep paralysis, this would be my first experience.

Within 15 days of this experience, I met with an accident which resulted in a fracture in my skull and one in my nose, 7 stitches on my face and a blood clot in my brain, all of which is giving me a hard time.

I don't know if I can link the incidence with my accident. As I am a good driver (many have complimented my driving). And I don't have any memories of the accident.

Till now, I had experienced paranormal things only because my son was sensitive towards it. This time it has happened to me. So I am a bit confused about it all.

Anyway, thank you very much for suggestions.
In the past, few people here have been really helpful. So, thought of sharing:)

And one more thing, my bed is placed to the wall, head towards North. Some knowledgeable person said it is not good when your feet is towards south, so we sleep sideways on the bed, head towards East.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
good-ghosts - There is a strong belief that mirrors can act as portals.

From the way you explain the set-up of your bedroom, my understanding is that the bed which you share with your husband and son doesn't touch any wall whatsoever, including the top. So there's a gap between your pillows and the mirror. Have I got that right? If that's the case then I understand how this entity reached you in the middle without having to lean over your husband or son.

Have you experienced any paranormal activity in your home before this incident, or has it only been a single event?

As Leahleigh mentioned, it could be sleep paralysis. If you haven't researched it before then I would suggest that you google it. I went through a stage of what might be described as sleep paralysis. Although I think that in some instances what I experienced probably was sleep paralysis, at other times I was convinced that it wasn't because I did have paranormal activity in my home. So, I don't believe that it's always that cut and dried.

Nevertheless, rather an unpleasant experience for you.

Regards, Melda
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Hello good-ghosts,

You had a terrifying experience and I am sorry for it. I'm about to put forth an opinion that has proved unpopular in my past comments on this site.

Are you familiar with sleep paralysis? This may be what you experienced. I, myself, keep a journal and make entries in it in an attempt at learning to control disturbing dreams and nightmares. On February 3rd of this year I had an episode of sleep paralysis and it went something like this:

I woke up early and had coffee but I fell back asleep in my room with the lights on. Close to an hour later I woke halfway up with the feeling that someone was sleeping against my back. My back was intensely warm but, even half asleep, I knew there was no way it could be real as I have slept alone for a long time. As soon as I tried to make a move, this "person" behind me grabbed me with there arms and legs and I couldn't move. They were missing their hands and that was my big clue that I was having sleep paralysis. I stopped struggling and it gradually melted away to nothing.

Ruined the rest of my day.

I am not asking you to take my word for it. You said that you had only been asleep for a short amount of time. I, myself, cannot tolerate sleeping in a room where there is a mirror visible from my bed. Since I was a child, I have thought of mirrors as gateways.

I put forth this opinion that it is, maybe, sleep paralysis so it might be a comfort to you. I would rather face my own subconscious than the malevolence of an unseen enemy. Other people will comment and have valuable insights.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: