You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Dad Was Chased

Real Ghost Stories

My Dad Was Chased

 

This story occurred near Dixie Apartments, Goble Roberts, Prestonsburg, Floyd County KY. My dad and I have always been close, I'm daddy's little girl and of course I always listen to his stories. Living in eastern KY has its advantages especially if you want a good scare. I was recently married to my high school sweetheart, we were about to have our first child and it was our first apartment together. I realized that the train tracks near my apartment were the same ones my dad used to walk as a teenager with our cousins. I always got a strange feeling from the tracks, never walked too close to them. I was curious as to why and knew my dad would have the answer or at least know how to help me find it. So I asked him and this was his answer.

When he was younger about 14/15 he would walk the tracks from his house into town, it was fastest and safest, especially considering how much trouble he got into; it was the best way to avoid fights. Walking on the tracks between Allen and Goble Roberts there was a house along the tracks, the only way to get to it was by the tracks themselves. It was slightly offset, the porch being about 20 ft away from the tracks opposite of the river (the very same river that 26 children and the bus driver lost their lives in 1958).

They decided to check it out. The house was situated that if you didn't know it was there you'd miss it, even being that close to the tracks. It was him, my cousins Larry and Bobo (yes, that really is his name) and they decided to be brave. They walked into the two story house and realized it was about 20 degrees colder than it was outside, they began to explore and ended up separated, Dad in the bedroom, Larry in the kitchen and Bobo upstairs.

Exploring the house and looking around finding some really cool things that led to the conclusion that the house belonged to a family that worked the railroad and there were kids that lived there at some point in time. The house got colder further inside they went. When they heard Larry scream; they ran. They all ended up outside on the tracks and when they asked why he screamed he said it was because someone grabbed his leg and started pulling him down the stairs toward the back of the house. They ran as fast as they could toward Goble Roberts.

When they walked back, they couldn't find the house. It was only when you walked from Allen to Goble Roberts that you found this house, they took a few more adventures into the house over the years until they got cars but the only exception was that they never went back in to kitchen.

I tried to find this house, I didn't walk far enough and I was coming from Goble Roberts. I never started from the Allen side. My dad or our cousins haven't been back into the house since their late teens. If you have seen this house please let me know. Daddy says its about 2 miles from the start of the woods. I would really like some more information, Larry won't talk about it and Bobo isn't the type to answer questions about something that scared him.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, InkStainedMomma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
Hello InkStainedMomma, welcome to YGS. Very good narration. Strange that you can find out the house only if walking. Still as you are somewhere near the house, why don't you do some research on it like Valkricry said asking some engineers or railroad persons. Like your dad and his cousins, some other people might have had such experiences too. If possibile, try to find out and post.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Your welcome, Zeta. By all accounts Prestonsberg is a very haunted area. I've a friend in the tiny town of Tram near there, and have heard many from her.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
valkricry: Thank you for that link to the story. Very sad story! This is the first time I had heard of this. The saddest was looking at all of those children who perished... Some apparently from the same families! So young, so full of hopes and dreams! Truely tragic. I would think that this area has the makings for some very active paranormal activities. Zeta.
k9keira (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Wow, what an interesting story, just like BadJuuJuu said, it is like some sort of optical illusion, it must of been creepy for your father and cousins. 😁
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Dear InkStainedMomma,
Welcome to YGS. Thanks for sharing this interesting story.

I would like to give a shout out to all our friends from Prestonsburg, KY, so that they may share their views and comments too... So come on people who know or don't know about this house, tell us more!

Regards
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-24)
Very interesting and creepy tale. Is it some sort of optical illusion that the house can only be found if walking in the one direction? Is it screened by trees from the other direction? Think this is going into my faves.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-24)
My mother is from Ky, and told me about that disaster. She said that "Ironically, it was bus #27, the bus driver was age 27, and the total lives lost was 27." I did a bit of googling and for those unfamiliar with this tragedy I found this by the Ky. Gov http://kynghistory.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/7C77927B-FE84-4C65-9E53-ECB62052418B/0/KYNGRemembrance50thAnnivofPrestonsburgSchoolBusDisaster.pdf

I will warn you, it is a tear jerker. Such terrible loss.

Researching some railroad history might help on the house location. Engineers and other railroad people often lived near the tracks.
You have a cousin named Bobo - no worries, I have one named Libidiodos Circus Queen. No joke. On the other hand her sister is named Flossy. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: