You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Loddon, Norfolk Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Loddon, Norfolk Ghost

 

This happened 15 years ago. I've told it fairly regularly to friends.

We booked a holiday cottage for 5 of us, plus a mooring for a boat. The place was actually a farmhouse split into two cottages just outside of Loddon. Looking at Google Maps I believe it was Hardley Estate on the edge of Hardley Lake.

I'm fairly sensitive and was not keen on the first bedroom - my sister and her husband took that - the other two were ok. Firstly I couldn't sit on the loo straight (the loo was downstairs off the kitchen on a corner next to the back entrance of the second cottage). Second I couldn't go to the loo at night on my own-not normal in my case.

Anyway I was first up to make breakfast. Fine the first 3 days but the 4th, looking out the back door in full daylight! (count door as south, as loo window is east) I see a classic ghost: white, flapping, floating and transparent?! Floating past the backdoor, loo window (aha) and through closed door into empty other cottage! What is really odd, my friend staying on boat used cottage loo-couldn't sit on it straight. My sister studying on her own, went outside to study as she didn't feel comfortable (she lives in a supposed haunted house!) My husband who is as sensitive as a brick saw the same thing as me (mentioned it several weeks later).

I've searched the net but can't find anything on the place. Although at the time in Loddon a lot of the shopkeepers were, "Oh, you're staying THERE, really." I would love to hear from anyone else who stayed at this place.

I will add I've seen other ghosts, strange to say in daylight never the dark, and always had problems turning my back on various doors and windows which I have later found the ghost is supposed to pass or go through.

The other places are The Horse and Groom, Linby, Nottingham. A private house in Hucknall, Nottingham, The Blue Ball, Branston, Rutland. Rothley Court, Oakham, Leics. My old house in Gedling, Nottingham. The Shire Hall, Nottingham.

I may share these other stories but am a bit worried about reactions.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hellen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
Please please do post more of your stories! I often struggle to believe the stories posted on here but the way you tell your story makes me 100% believe you. Your story also did not have any obvious logical explanation, unlike many others. More please:) x

Also can you tell us more about the appearance of the ghost - what did it appear to be made of? Was it misty? Did it glow? Did it have a well defined shape? Matt or shiny? Etc.
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
hii hellen... I'm meghna... I loved your story very much... Its intresting also... Actually I leave in india and not in UK... But I would like to welcome you in london...

Thanks'
MEGHNA ROY CHOWDHURY

REGARDS.
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
Hello Hellen, I enjoyed this story, looking forward to reading more.
Perhaps the townspeople can you tell you more, considering their reaction? You might go back to Loddon and ask those shopkeepers or visit a local pub for a evening or two, you could maybe hear a bit more.
Isolde
27flowers (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
Would love to hear more stories! I enjoyed this one, and love to hear about haunted places in the UK in particular:)

Regards
Flowers
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
Hello Hellen, welcome to YGS. That was a nice story and thanks for sharing it with us. I do feel that it could residual haunting like SmokenMirrors suggested. If you could find out the time from your husband and compare it with when you saw, perhaps that could throw some light and if your time coincides with his sighting, then it could be residual.

Would like hear more from you, I mean the other stories.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-24)
This is a great story! I guess whatever the entity was lacked the energy to take human form. Have you read Castle Grounds Phenomena? It was posted here late last year and also had the classic white ghost.
Tuesdey (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-24)
This was an interesting story and I'd love to hear more from you!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-24)
Scarlette and Miracles,
Pinch poke you both owe me cokes!😆 I too wondered if Lodden was a typo until I googled. Funny how our minds naturally leap to the more familiar name of London, eh?
Hellen, I was remiss in my manners! I failed to welcome you here. So sorry.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-24)
Hi Hellen, thank you for sharing I would love to read the other stories you have to offer.

Anyway you mention that your husband saw the same thing, do you know if it followed the same path as when you saw it? "Floating past the backdoor, loo window (aha) and through closed door into empty other cottage!".

It could be what you saw was residual energy.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
scarlottsnowe - Google is a wonderful thing 😊 I found out that there is a Loddon Norfolk England just by googling it. Not being a smart*ss here at all, just letting you know that I do believe the o/p meant Loddon as there is one in England.
Argette (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Fascinating! And I would like to hear the stories, too, Hellen. Don't worry too much about reactions here; most of us are quite civil. And if someone is not civil, we generally tell them (nicely, of course.)

Thank you for posting, and welcome!
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Oh, and did you mean London, or Loddon? Because the thing at top says Loddon, but it also says you live in the UK, where London is, of course. Just curious.
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Wow. So you had an experience where you saw a ghost but couldn't get any information on what happened, too, huh? Been there, my friend. I see one on the Peachtree Corners Circle/ Winters Chapel Rd. Exit in Norcross, Ga., USA. Can't figure out what happened, even when I look it up on the internet. Crazy how that sometimes happens...
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Hi Hellen, welcome to YGS! Do you happen to know of any of the history of the cottage? (I wonder what those shop-keepers aren't saying?) Did you get any kind of "feeling" from the entity- good or bad... Or was it more neutral? It's interesting to me that you have seen ghosts in daylight, and that seems to be when you have seen others! I imagine you must be quite sensitive that way! I would love to hear more of your stories! 😁 Please don't be afraid to share your experiences... ❤ The worst that can happen, is people will ask questions to clarify... But you will get a lot of support from these good people, too! 😁
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Hi Hellen. I thought this was very interesting, and look forward to reading any other stories you decide to share.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
I take it, that while you couldn't 'sit on the loo straight', others could? With the exception of your friend from the boat. Otherwise, I don't get why that was mentioned.
A quick internet search turned up this tid bit:"The great flood that took place after torrential rain on 27th and 28th August 1912 devastated the area around Loddon along with the rest of Norfolk." (http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Watermills/loddon.html) Apparently it swept away the bridge, and almost collapsed the mill. I dare say that the area where you were was effected too. As to an account of hauntings of the place, Norfolk seems to have many.
I thought your account rather interesting, especially since you see ghostie in the day time.😊 I know I've seen or felt them at various times of day, and it's lovely to know someone else has too.
~Val
Lunahenry (2 stories) (50 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
I can't guarantee what reaction you'll get but I, for one, would love to hear your stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: