You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Grandma And The Man In The Hall

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma And The Man In The Hall

 

I am 19 Years old and have had experiences happen to me since I was just a toddler. I remember my mother telling me that when I was about two or so, I woke up from a nap and came waddling in to the living room. My mother asked me how my nap was and I told her it was okay until my Grandma Jo woke me up to tell me she loved me. My grandmother passed away when my mom was 21 years old, 12 years before this. I had little knowledge of her because of my young age so this completely shocked my mom but I kept telling her that Grandma had shaken me awake, smiled and told me she was my Grandma Jo and that she loved me very much.

This was the only the first experience in my life. I have way too many to list in just one post so I'll only write out one more. This experience happened when I was around 11 years old. It's one of the more startling experiences I've had.

My family and I had just moved into a little house here in Lubbock, Texas and had just settled in completely when we started experiencing paranormal activity almost daily. We experienced everything from the smell of baking cookies when a roast would be in the oven, the smell of cigar smoke when no one in the house smoked at all, and the occasional door slam but what I remember most has stayed with me for years.

One night I had fallen asleep on our living room floor on a big bean bag and my parents just let me sleep. I remember waking up because I got uncomfortable so I sleepily made my way up to the couch, too tired to go to my room. I lay on my back with our hallway behind me. As I closed my eyes I heard a deep gruff cough, one that definitely belonged to a man but didn't quite sound like my dad. I leaned my head back but it was too dark to see anything. I closed my eyes, thinking it had to have been my dad waking up for work but as soon as I started drifting back to sleep I heard large footsteps pacing back and forth across the hallway. It sounded as if whoever was walking was wearing heavy work boots. Just as I went to lean my head back again for a look, the hall light flipped on. All I could see was a shadow of a person. It seemed to be shaped like a man and was much bigger than my dad. I jumped off the couch in a startle and tried to decide whether or not to run to the hall and investigate. As I was making my decision, the hall light suddenly flipped off and the footsteps hurriedly walked off and the shadow disappeared. At the same time my parents' bedroom door opened and my dad walked out, obviously still half asleep. He looked at me and asked if I was alright. I didn't know what to say so I just nodded and lay back down. I'm not sure what I saw or who it was but it startled me.

I did tell my mom about it. She told me she had a similar experience one day while she was napping on the couch. She had been laying the opposite way with the hallway in front of her. She said she just woke up for no reason and immediately looked into the hall. She said she could see a shape of a man standing at her bedroom door just looking at it. She didn't know quite what to do so she just said, "Could you please go? You're keeping me awake". She said the figure just slowly disappeared. This was only the first time she and I experienced the male present in that house. We've moved out since then but the memories never left.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zomilove, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-16)
Hi zomilove, it was a cool narrative and thanks for sharing. Your grandmother's visit to you when you were so young was truly an exhibition of love and affection towards you.

As far as the footsteps and the presence you felt in the hallway and your mother's experience are concerned, I feel that the spirit of the man was somehow attached to the hall. Like what charne said, your mother was quite brave enough to ask the spirit to go away. Still did you try to ask your mother to describe about the man she saw and what you saw, so that the features could be matched. You could have asked your dad too because he asked you how you were when he came out of the bedroom on the day you had your experience. So perhaps he might have also had an experience and just might have thought if you had sighted something paranormal and may be that was the reason why he asked you.

Please inform us if you have anything more to add.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
It's very sweet that your grandmother paid a visit to say she loved you. Even if she did interrupt a perfectly good nap. 😆
The man in the hallway is interesting. I think sometimes we just happen to be in the right place at the right time to observe ghosts just going about their day. He sounds like a nice enough sort. As he was willing to leave when your mom asked, sounds like scaring your family wasn't his intent.
Cool story.
Charne35 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
zomilove, wasn't your mother frightened when she saw the man? What she did was very brave.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: