You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Evil Road

Real Ghost Stories

The Evil Road

 

When my son was in seventh grade back in 1993 he had wrestling practice after school during the Fall and Winter months. I would go and pick him up around 5:30 pm then we would go home. At the time we were living in rural IL just South of Chicago. On the way to pick him up and bring him home was a section of a road that did not feel right. Not all of the roads on the way, just this one road. We had to drive about 3 miles on this road and it always felt creepy.

My son was the one who called it the "evil road". It always felt as if something was lurking, watching just out of sight. We never saw anything but that feeling was always there. This feeling was especially strong at this one spot in the road. Now, this road was farmland all around with homes acres away from the road itself. At this spot along the side of the road was a deep culvert overhung with trees, vines, and weeds. It just had a "something is off" look to it.

One evening as we passed by that spot in the road we heard tinny music coming from nowhere that we could see. It was a cloudy cold Winter night in the Midwest. The only lights we could see, besides those of our car, were lights from the farms in the distance. Since it was cold, dark and sleeting, I doubt that anyone was out playing music.

The music was so odd, almost as if a windup old time music player or small calliope was making the music. The style of the music was almost like what I would call Romany, or mountain music from years ago.

The strangest part is we could hear it with the windows closed. I wanted to stop but my son was afraid. So we drove on hearing the music for a short time before it faded in the distance.

My son dropped out of sports right after that. We never drove on that road again. We moved shortly after that and I have not been back to that area since 1994. I still wonder about the road and the music

I tried to find out if anything had happened in the area, but never found anything that would explain the music. I like to think it is just a lingering impression from days long past. As for the bad feeling, maybe something sad happened at that feeling lingers as well.

Other hauntings by Arwen1957

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Arwen1957, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-22)
Arwen, when you say "it sounded Romany" do you mean Gypsy music sounding? It caught my attention as my son's dad is from families of Roms who came as a large group of indentured construction workers to the midwest in the late 1800's, so I looked it up. There were a lot of Roma who came to northern Illanois doing a lot of different trades. They weren't afraid of danegerous jobs, and lived in tight knit groups. So those two combined might make for interesting residual energy.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
There are lots of spots on this planet, which for unknown reasons, perhaps paranormal, have lots of negative energy seeping/clinging there.

I have experienced many such negative areas.

The Music you heard need not be necessarily from the exact location itself but somewhere behind the road. Since you were travelling in the car, you couldn't pin point it exactly.

The sound a person hears travels through different mediums, is propagated in many fashions -
Sound is conducted through solid objects - music would sound different when being conducted through different mediums/substances/materials.

Sound is reflected off different objects - during reflection, sound quality and net effect is also altered.

In such cases of sound propagation, you wouldn't be able to pin point the exact location of the sound, while it could have been louder and from a farther source.
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
Well, there have been several cougar or large cat sightings over the years in that area. Kankakee, in general that is. That's one possibility. The sounds though... Residual maybe?
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
Would it be possible to name the road and approximate distance from some landmark or marks? Maybe others who still live in the area can say if that area is still eerie... Personally, I believe in spiritual strongholds...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
The experiences sound residual. Creepy though, and I don't think I would want to drive that road either.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
That is pretty creepy! I don't blame your son for dropping out of sports after that!
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
No radio on Not the same area this area is near Kankakee IL My sister's Mother in law has lived near that area for years and has heard odd sounds for years such as laughing, fragments of old commercials that have not been aired in years, and the sound of feet either running or marching. He husband who passed about 5 years ago always swore that he saw a black panther like animal running in the field several times. The road is a side road off IL 113
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
Arwen,
I'm from IL, too and I most say, your description of that road reminded me very much of a stretch out on Normantown Road, on the outskirts of Romeoville. I lived there in the 70's, so your guess is as good as mine on if the area I'm reminded of has changed over the years. If this is the same area you speak of, I can vouch for the 'off feeling' of the place, and I can share with you some rumors I had heard of the area.
Very interesting that you could hear the music with the windows rolled up. Did you perchance have your radio on? I know sometimes stations will overlap for a brief time.
pt (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-14)
hmmm... 😐 really strange please go and check there by asking the people of that village.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: