You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Brigid

Real Ghost Stories

Brigid

 

I have mentioned Brigid in at least one other experience on here. I promised I would talk about her so here's everything I have about her. I am little worried because one of my experiences with her was through astral projection and I know that there's another site for that. I did see her with my own eyes though, so I am going to give you guys everything and hope for the best.

The first time I met Brigid, I was in Minnesota. I was visiting my cousins and my aunt. My ex-fiance was staying with them, living on a cot in my cousins' room. We had had a really nasty break up but I still had to get along with him because he was a friend of my closest cousin, Tyler.

Tyler and Josh were really into the occult. They had been for a while and Tyler was living in a new apartment near a lake. I liked the place pretty well. The boys told me that they liked to go ghost hunting after our aunt went to sleep and I told them I would like to join them.

That night, my aunt went to bed and my younger cousin Samuel fell asleep next to the couch that I was going to be sleeping on in the living room. Tyler and Josh told me they were going, so I got up and followed.

There was an excited energy to them but they looked completely serious as we made our way out of the apartment and down to the lake. I felt like everything around me was really stirred up and I kept seeing shadows where they didn't make sense. When I was asked about it, they both seemed satisfied with the confirmation.

At one point, I saw a figure across the water on a little peninsula that jutted out into the water. It was covered with trees and it was a really thin strip of land, so people weren't normally out there during the day, let alone at night. The figure was dark and it looked like a person. The person waved so I waved back. I didn't see any harm in it. It was a friendly enough thing to do. I was immediately chided for waving at things.

Something near the tree-line that lead to the peninsula caught the boys' attention but I was focused on the water. I saw something dark moving around under the surface. It darted across the lake and stopped on the side opposing the peninsula where I saw two white balls of light. Seeing them made me smile because this incredibly gentle feeling fell over me.

I turned to tell Tyler and Josh about it but they had stepped between me and the tree-line. I thought better of saying anything and turned back around to see if the lights were still there. Instead, I came face to face with what looked like a stone statue of a woman. The stone looked like clay and there were black lines etched into the surface to make it look like a kindly lady wearing a full length cloak that was covered in intricate Celtic knots.

I was startled at first because this statue wasn't there a second ago and it was right in front of my face. It was there just long enough for me to take in a few details and it was gone. I felt like I had to listen to my gut when it came to what I just saw, and I felt like it was something good. I didn't know why it was good or what it was beyond what I saw, but I knew it was good. I felt exceptionally calm after I saw her.

I can't remember if I said anything to Tyler or Josh after that. All I know is that they immediately ushered me back to the apartment. I know that once we were inside, they told me that they were going back out. I wanted to go along again but they were adamant that I stay behind that time. They wanted to face whatever was out there without me and they felt like I was safer inside.

They left me inside with Samuel, who was fast asleep. The TV was going, so I sat on the couch and stared at the screen. I couldn't stop thinking about the statue of the lady though.

At one point, my eyes were drawn to a blue light in the hallway that lead to the boys' room. I looked over in time to see a lady with long, straight hair and a frail looking figure walk to the end of the hall. Her visage was white and a little wispy, like fog. All around her was this blue light. She stopped at the end of the hall and just stared at my sleeping cousin.

While this was a very vivid apparition, I still remember feeling that residual calm from seeing the statue lady. I spoke up. I told her hello and asked her what she wanted. She didn't even look at me. She stared at Samuel until I told her that he was staying with me in the living room. He was fast asleep and I wasn't going to wake him. He is six years my junior and barely a teenager yet, but the kid has always been good at passing out in the living room. I learned to just let him sleep there because if he was uncomfortable, he'd move. When she heard that, she walked back down the hall into the boys' room.

The guys came back not long after that. I think I told Tyler about her because he told me that Samuel has a ghost friend in their closet. He said that he sees her as a little girl.

It wasn't until after the summer that I realized that this thing, whatever it was, likely wasn't what she made herself appear to be. Samuel always saw a little girl. I saw a grown lady, shrouded in blue and obsessed with my younger cousin. My best friend, when she stayed overnight, heard something growl and break the fan that was in the room. Whatever it was, I'm very glad it stayed out of the living room.

I still couldn't stop thinking about the statue lady after I got home though. I looked up what I could about the Celts and eventually came across an artist's rendition of Brigid (or Brighid). It looked remarkably like the statue, so I looked up other images of Brigid and most of them are very similar. It dawned on me that I saw Brigid's image while I was out ghost hunting with my cousin and my ex-fiance. I felt like she might have been protecting me. She certainly helped me manage my fear while I saw the blue lady in my aunt's apartment.

That was not the last time I saw her though. I saw her again a year or so later when I tried astral projecting at my aunt's place. They moved out of the apartment where the blue lady was and moved into an apartment that was basically the first floor and the basement of an old house closer to St. Paul. I talked about this experience in "The Girl, Abigail" because this is also when I first actually saw Abigail.

I started the astral projection by making myself comfortable in my cousin Samuel's room. He was away at school and my things were in there so it seemed like a good place. I walked around their dining room and the kitchen on this walk. I saw all kinds of weird things, but when I went back to my body, I saw Brigid again.

My head was in her lap and she was looking down on me with this really kind smile. She was stroking my hair away from my face. Her hair was very long, wavy, and a natural red. She also had freckled skin. She was wearing an Earth toned dress and a green and yellow cloak. There was this warm, yellow light all around her. I stared at her until she disappeared from view. I could still feel her there though. I knew she was watching over me and keeping me safe.

I was so overwhelmed with seeing her like that that I couldn't care less about anything else I saw on my projection. She was glorious and I felt so touched that someone was watching out for me. She looked like an angel. I don't know, she very well could have been an angel.

I felt her around on trips to Minnesota after that. She always makes me feel safe and she has this really distinct energy. Once you've been around her, you know the feeling. I've never felt her around outside of Minnesota and I feel pretty blessed to have seen her at all.

Other hauntings by ulvenNixie

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ulvenNixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-25)
Sweetsunshine1800 - Hey, thank you for reading my experience. I agree that I was blessed to have seen Brigid. She helped me, I'm sure of it. I don't know why she helped me. I've only seen her in Minnesota, with my mom's side of the family. Those are interesting things to think on though. Thank you:D
sweetsunshine1800 (4 stories) (85 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-25)
Hello ulvenNixie,

You had a very interesting encounter with the Brigid. You have been blessed to have experiences with her. Maybe she's here to protect you from evil entities or she could be your guardian angel? That's why you have this calming feeling whenever you see her? Just my opinion 😊 and thanks Rookdygin for the info, she's quite fascinating indeed

Best wishes and,
Regards,
Sweetsunshine1800
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-24)
Foxglove - Thank you so much. I have a bit to look up it seems. Appreciate it.
Foxglove (23 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-22)
FYI, Brigid is Scots as well as Irish, although she is often referred to as "Bride" in Scotland, or Brighde (Bree-juh) in Scots Gaelic.

There's some speculation that she may have been a pan-British goddess, hinted at by the tribal name Brigantes in northern England. In either case she was extremely important in pre-Christian times if place name evidence, and the continued worship of the Christianized Saint Bridget is any indication.

I recommend the 19th century oral-historical compilation from the Hebrides known as the "Carmina Gadelica" if you would like to see some prayers and poetry about her.

She also most likely has a scary counterpart, or other-self, in the form of an ancient hag, but that is a story for another day ;)
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-19)
Hey everyone! Thank you for reading my experience and thank you Rook for providing information about Brigid in such a timely and helpful manner. That was awesome of you.

Red,
I'm extremely blessed to have had visitations from her. I really believe she protected me. I don't know why she did that but it was something I was really touched by.
I actually don't know if I'm of Irish descent. I mean, I'm American. My Mom has told me that we're ScotsIrish on her father's side. She based her wedding around it. I've been told we have English, Norwegian, German, and a couple Native American ancestors as well. I wish I knew for sure, but I don't at the moment.
Are you Irish?:)
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
ulvenNixie,

I read your interesting story of your encounters with Brigid and went to the website Rook gave you (thank you Rook) and was intrigued by the Legend of Brigid. You are very blessed to have had visitations from her. I have to ask though. Are you Irish?

Regards
Red
Hyde (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Rook,
Thanks for the info on Brigid. I found it fascinating.
Hyde
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Hyde,

Here you go...

"Brigid, the Celtic goddess of fire (the forge and the hearth), poetry, healing, childbirth, and unity, is celebrated in many European countries. She is known by many names, including that of Saint Brigid who is, perhaps, the most powerful religious figure in Irish history."

Read the rest here...

Http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/celtic-goddess-brigid.htm

Respectfully,

Rook
Hyde (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
Your story is interesting, but what is the history behind Brigid? You said you saw an artist's rendition of her, I'm curious to know her story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: