You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Mineral Wells Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

The Mineral Wells Hotel

 

My boyfriend recently broke up with me. I was having an extremely hard time with it. I loved him and I was willing to give him everything I had to offer as a person. He said he loved me too, and he lied. When it came down to it, he didn't care about me at all. He said he felt nothing. It was devastating but life goes on, doesn't it?

I had plans with my best friend and her fiancé in place a few days after the break up. The plan was to see a movie with them and go see another with some of their friends. They know I'm a huge introvert and I was anxious about meeting these people before my ex decided to cut ties with me. I didn't think I could handle it after the fact. Instead of making me go through with it, they changed the plans. I really have the best friends in the world.

They decided to hang out with me all day, which was a godsend. We went to eat, watched the first movie we intended to see, got frozen yogurt and after that, we had to wing it. We were coming up blank because there isn't much to do around here at night if you don't drink. We talked about going to a walk and how it was too cloudy to go stargazing.

It was then that it occurred to us that we could drive out into the country, as far from the light pollution as we could manage, and try to catch glimpses of the stars between the passing clouds. It was an adventure because it was dark and we would have to drive for at least an hour in any direction to get anything close to what we wanted.

We picked a couple directions, but noticed that there was lightning flashing in the distance. Instead of dampening our enthusiasm, we changed our plans again. We were just going to drive and enjoy the experience. It was nice. We were talking, laughing, and listening to music.

Eventually we found ourselves in Mineral Wells. We ended up stopping at their Walmart to use the restroom and get some water. While we were there, my best friend found a Jolteon stuffed animal for sale. Jolteon has been my favorite Pokemon since I was a little girl. My ex knew and he sometimes said he was going to get me a plushie one because he knew I would like it. I wrote it off because I didn't need him to buy my things, but seeing this stuffed animal brought up a whole slew of emotions. It was cute, it was my favorite, we found it on adventure while I was trying to deal with my grief, and I just had to have her. As soon as I bought her, I decided that she would be my Travel Jolteon. I would take her on trips and adventures, take pictures of her in fun places.

We kept driving until we got into the more historic district of Mineral Wells. That's when we spotted the hotel, the Baker Hotel. We all recognized it but none of us could remember what it was called. We just kept calling it The Mineral Wells Hotel. It's an enormous and beautiful building. The details in the architecture are awe inspiring. I wanted this to be the first place to get a Travel Jolteon picture.

My friends humored me. We turned around and parked in the Whites Funeral Home parking lot. I was worried that we would get in trouble for parking there and for walking up to the building but we were only going long enough to snap a couple pictures. It's a haunted place with a lot of stories. I'm sure lots of people trespass and make trouble. We weren't trying to do that.

We walked over the Baker Hotel and took a couple pictures on the way. We got a couple pictures of my best friend and myself. We got some of the building, the courtyard fountain next to the building, and the building across the street.

I could tell my friends were feeling apprehensive, particularly my best friend's fiancé. He didn't seem as enthusiastic as I felt. I was just so happy to see this gorgeous place and to take a picture of my new Jolteon in front of it. The camera on my phone needs a lot of light, but his could take pictures in the lighting we had, so he was the one taking pictures.

I found a place to set my Jolteon and we got a few really cool pictures of it in front of the Baker Hotel. After I picked it up, we spent a moment looking up at the building. It is huge. I mean, I knew it was a tall building from the pictures I had seen of it in the past. It's big, but I didn't realize how much it towers over the town around it. It's like an ominous eye watching over everything. Even if it wasn't haunted, I could see why people would think it would be.

I didn't think I would see anything. We were just there for a couple minutes. We didn't poke around. We joked that we were going to break in (because we pretty much make that joke everywhere we go at night) but that was just a joke. None of us were the least bit serious.

After glancing at the windows and into the courtyard, the places that I figured I would see something if I was going to see anything on this trip, I was satisfied that it was quiet. I was perfectly happy to look at the place for the marvel that it was on its own. We started turning back towards the sidewalk that would take us back to the car when I saw something. I didn't think I would that night just because we were there a short period of time and it just didn't seem likely, but I did.

If I was going to guess on a gender, I would say that it looked like a man. He was hunched over and draped in something kind of bulky cloth. It was just a shadow-like outline of a person, not a full apparition, but it reminding me of a rain slicker and a rain hat. The shape moved along the side of the dark building and out towards the courtyard. It was close enough that if it was just a regular person, I would have seen details. I would have heard him. I also don't think he would have disappeared so quickly.

I didn't say anything about it at the time. My friends live in a place with a lot of activity and we're all fairly sensitive. Shadowed silhouettes are so normal that we don't even point it out anymore. While I was happy I saw this guy, I didn't think it was such a big thing that I should mention it.

The rest of the night was pretty interesting. We drove just passed Palo Pinto and hit a storm. The rain got really heavy and my best friend didn't think her car could handle a flash flood. We turned back and we were actually really nervous by the time we got back to Mineral Wells. We were looking for a place to park, and discussed watching the Baker Hotel in the rain. We didn't take the proper turns for that though and we ended up back in the Walmart.

We're lucky we did that because as soon as we pulled up, we were rushed inside by the manager. He said that a tornado touched down nearby (literally down the street) and he had us go to the break room to wait it out. We could hear the rain buffeting against the roof and the tornado sirens going off. While we were there, we joked that we brought the storm and the tornado. It helped us pass the time.

We also talked to this lady that lives in the area. She told us that Mineral Wells basically gets all the tornadoes. She saw the one from the year prior from a window at her job not far from the Walmart. She was really annoyed that she was asked to stay in the break room while the storm passed. She just wanted to go home. She was really nonchalant about the tornado.

Eventually we got back home. We followed the storm after it passed. It was a really fun, exciting night. We intend to go to Possum Kingdom next week. We were supposed to go somewhere else, but my best friend got me excited about going to Possum Kingdom by telling me that we might be able to stop at the Baker Hotel again. I feel fairly drawn to this building. It's really beautiful. I definitely want to see it again.

Later that night, my friend's fiancé sent me all the pictures he took. There was one of the area that I saw the figure. It made me curious about whether or not they saw him too. He said that he had, which is why he took the picture. He didn't catch anything in the frame, but it was nice to find out that I wasn't the only one that saw the shadowed guy in his rain slicker.

The picture doesn't have anything remarkable in it. It's kind of dark and fairly pixel-y when it's full sized. There's nothing in frame to suggest there was even a ghost there so I'm not going to try to post it. It's a really nice shot of the area though. I'm definitely going to keep it for story-sake.

Other hauntings by ulvenNixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ulvenNixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bspilker (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-29)
Nixie,
I just wanted to comment on how Well written your story is. You actually reminded me of a story I want to share but unfortunately for me I am going to wait until I can upload some pictures that will go with it. Unlike you I was actually got what I believe to be a spirit in a picture that I wasn't able to see in person.
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-22)
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry I haven't been on this page in a while.
You've all been really nice about trying to cheer my up in regards to the split with my ex and I thank you for that. It's still hard. Every time I think I've taken a decent step forward, something comes up in regards to my ex that takes me right back down. I found out that he left me for someone else and that he was nothing but a liar the entire relationship. I don't know how someone fakes love for another person as thoroughly as he did. There must be something seriously wrong with him.
I'm finally getting over being sad and angry all the time, at least at him, and I have a lot of steps to make.

My friends have been wonderful through it all. You're all right, they are the best.

Spiritwaiting - You should definitely see the hotel. It's gorgeous, night or day. We drove by it on a different day trip and it was just as awe-inspiring as it was at night.

Aku - I'm sorry that you're having issues figuring out if ghosts will communicate with you through dreams. I hear they can... And I've seen deceased family members in dreams. I'm not sure if they were communicating with me for real or not, but it felt real. I think you just need to ask yourself how the situation felt to you. Also, I hope Tweed was able to give you more help than that.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-13)
UlveNixie,

First sorry about the pain you had to feel from that sort of heartbreak.
But the brighter side of it, no more wasting time with someone whom wouldn't give you what you deserve.

Your friends sound like the sweetest people ever!
I love them and I don't know them! 😊
Nice to hear you have strong shoulders to lean on when you need them.

Now I've heard of Mineral Wells before, not sure where. May have been in a book I have read, hehe not sure.
But do remember it is known for its hauntings.

I would have been excited to have seen an apparition just going along with his business while you were posing for pics!
Love it!

Anyhow...
Hope your doing better now, and continue to.
Your better off without an undeserving pain like that:).

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-08)
Aku, this isn't one of my stories lol, but that's ok. I think you may have clicked on one of the stories in my fave list. This is one of Nixie's.

You can email me if you like, my email's on my profile. Or you could message me on one of my stories below the fave list on my profile, or one of your own stories. Any option is fine. 😊
aku-97 (3 stories) (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-08)
Hi Tweed
I didn't know how to contact you so I am leaving a message on your story.
Since we can't share dreams on this site I don't know how to get answer on whether spirits can contact you through dreams. Cause I had had dreams in which spirit of known and unknown contacted me with some message connected with real world.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-04)
Nixie,
Amazing story. I'm sorry that the louse broke up with you. Just keep sending out those resumes though. But revenge can be bitter sweet. You can start wearing sexy clothes when you go to your friends and when your ex starts hitting on you just tell him you're not interested and he had his chance and blew it,

With that out of the way. I hope you get a chance to get back the Baker Hotel. I too wish you could go inside.

Regards
Red
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-02)
Hi Nixie,
Job applications are a great idea - getting out and starting again could be an awesome adventure - it may not happen right away (crumby job market and all) but don't get discouraged, you've taken the first step, just keep going!:-)
I know what it's like to miss the other half of a lost relationship - all those times you hear or see something that you instantly want to share with them only to remember that you can't do that anymore... Like a phantom limb! Royally sucks! Eventually, though, with that really bad break up of mine, I came to realize that I was missing someone who never really existed... If he really had been all that I'd built him up to be in my perception of him, the relationship wouldn't have ended, but it did because, in reality, he was someone else...,someone far less remarkable... And realizing that definitely helped.
I did keep up with dancing:) I go whenever I can. I'm actually heading to a dance exchange later this month:) during the rough part of the breakup, I was out dancing or at lessons almost every night! The distraction was wonderful! If you google it, I'm sure you can find something near you - whether it's dancing or yoga or groups that bicycle or pick-up games of one sport or another or reenactors or groups that paint or draw or knit. You'll learn new things and meet new people - distraction is definitely a great coping mechanism:)
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-02)
Don't you worry nixie, believe me I know how hard it can be having to be around someone you really really don't want to be around but having to endure it with good graces for the sake of others.

I would say simply that there is more than one way to peel a potato.
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-02)
I'm sorry I haven't made any replies yet. I've been emotional and busy. I'm hear now though and I am going to reply to everyone.
I did notice that there was a general theme of compliments to my writing. It makes me blush just to type that out. I just wanted to thank everyone for being so nice. All I've ever wanted to be is a writer, so much so that I've had to grow into more ambitions and dreams. I work at it all the time, but sometimes I feel like it's not good enough. I know that writing things that actually happened to me is different from the fiction I write for my novels, but compliments are pretty uplifting. My life is chaos right now, so the fact that most of you put it out there that you liked how I wrote this out really warmed my heart. Thank you a million times over for that.

2nd1st - I do have really wonderful friends and I would love it if I could just let my ex slip away into the past. I would love to forget about him. Unfortunately he lives with my friends and he's my best friend's fiance's best friend. I know there are times that I am going to have to be around him. It was stupid of me to date him but I was ready to take a risk. I'm sure we can be civil around one another, especially for our mutual best friends' wedding. I'm still hurting right now, you're right.
I'm glad their wedding is a little over a year away. I'm hoping I won't be so emotionally raw by then. I wouldn't do anything to cast ANY dark clouds over my best friend's big day, but I would like to enjoy seeing her get married, and not trying to mask that I'm distraught because I thought I loved someone that felt nothing for me.
Sorry, that was ramble-y.

Tweed - The Baker Hotel is gorgeous. We recently went there during the day. No spirits made themselves known while we were driving by, but it was magnificent to see the building. It is so pretty. I think it's officially my favorite place in all of Texas.

AugustaM - I have really wonderful friends. They support me the best ways they know how and I don't know what I've done to deserve them.
I worry about this break up. I've been taking steps to make sure it doesn't end up like my last one. I've been applying for jobs all over the country because I want out of Texas. I never really wanted to live here and I was will to stay for my ex. I'm not willing to stay anymore so I'm trying to make some great big leap of faith into the unknown.
Did you keep up with your swing dancing? Is it something you still enjoy?
The Baker Hotel is gorgeous. I'm in love with the building. It is just so ornate and awe-inspiring.
Possum Kingdom State Park however was not as neat. I was just expecting more from it. It's a cute place to stop for a picnic and a hike on a road trip though. Plus they have hummingbird feeders at the station. When we went, there were four hummingbirds fluttering around them. They were super cute. I didn't see any real possums, but we were there around noon and possums are nocturnal.

Calamity - Hey! It's good to hear from you, again! How are you?
The break up has been a bit rocky. I miss my ex all the time and I have to constantly remind myself that he was never really in it for the long haul. I thought he was at the time because it seemed like he always wanted me around. There was a time when I even believed that he thought I was attractive. To be honest, I wasn't feeling the last bit at the end, for at least a month or two. I feel like I was giving everything I had and he was giving just enough to get by. I should have seen the break up coming but I was wearing some crazy rose-colored goggles. I try not to demonize him now, because he doesn't deserve that, but I'm also sifting through a lot of hurt and pain. I hate break ups... I'll get over it though.
I heard the Baker Hotel was haunted before I heard that it was beautiful. My hair dresser told me she was going on a ghost tour there the very first time she dyed my hair. Not long after that, I saw one of those ghost story re-enactment shows that had a story from a group of people that went there. I actually wasn't very impressed by it because I just didn't realize how incredible this building was. I knew what it was the moment I saw it though. It's really gorgeous. I really want to go inside it, or at least walk around the outside of it for more than a minute. If you ever get to go. I highly recommend it. It's so pretty.
Mineral Wells is nice too. I thought it was going to be a lot busier during the day (it's very, very quiet at night), but I really didn't see that much traffic or people when we went back during normal people hours. It's nice town. The historic district is phenomenal.

Koolruud - The Baker Hotel is a little spooky but there is definitely a draw to it. I want to go back. I want to see inside and I want to spend more time there. The building is amazing. It has a really rich history. The area around the hotel is really pretty (because it's all very old and a little run down). In my opinion, it was prettier at night than it was in the daylight, but I would think that as a night person.
I'm trying to let the break up go. It's just hard. I felt like I was unloved and he tried to nicely tell me that he didn't feel the same way, even after nine months of telling me he did. It's just hard. I'm making changes but Rome wasn't built in a day.
koolruud (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-02)
Hey UlvenNixie,

Interesting story. For a second, I thought I'm reading a short novel😆 cause it is very well written. Then it also clicked to me, that I can google out the Baker hotel and man it looks spooky in the daytime, let alone at night.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you go through your breakup. I've been through one recently but I distracted myself by hitting the gym even more. So, just let it go. 😊

Rudy
Calamity (2 stories) (53 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-01)
Nixie,

I was so happy to see you had written another post, then so sad when I started reading that you're going through this break up. I know it must be a really confusing time for you right now, but keep in mind that sometimes people (read: ex-boyfriends!) say things that aren't true. Usually the intention is to cause pain, and usually it's very effective. I'm just really glad that you have such good friends. It sounds like they're keeping you busy which is the best way for you to be right now. Keep trying new things, going to new places and making new memories. Soon enough you'll gain a new perspective on all of this.

I have always wanted to go to the Baker Hotel. It was really something in it's time, opulent, healing and all sorts of famous people visited. It put Mineral Wells, Texas on the map. Both the hotel and the town have a long history of being haunted. That's just icing on the cake if you ask me! 😆

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Calamity ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-30)
Great story and even better friends! Random adventure escapades are the BEST and y'all certainly lucked into an awesome one! I'm an introvert too and have been through several sad breakups but one in particular that just crushed me... Crying nonstop for two weeks then at the most ridiculous and random things for the next few months:-P It's a rotten feeling! But friends like that are the greatest support system EVER! Another thing I found really helpful was getting into something new - I took up swing dancing and running (yay endorphins!) - and that really helped distract and introduce me to new things that had no lingering memories of the ex attached to them:)

As soon as I post this, I'm going to google the Baker - I LOVE old architecture - I'm also I intrigued by the Possum Kingdom (they're SO cute) :)

Cheers!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-29)
Hi Nixie,

This is going straight to my faves, I simply loved it. This evening clearly impacted you in a great way. What great friends you have. I've just been checking out pictures of The Baker Hotel and it is a mighty impressive building, wow!

Thanks so much for sharing. 😊
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-29)
In many ways this is a nice story Nixie. A pleasant read, I like the immersive detail.

You are obviously still very hurt by your ex, but don't you worry: I think you have some very good, solid friends and that (if you'll excuse me being all soppy here but I do mean it) is probably the most valuable thing there is.
You take care now and let your ex slip into the past, you've got good friends in the preset and that's what's really important.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: