You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: A Super Bowl Party?

Real Ghost Stories

A Super Bowl Party?

 

Going to start with an apology for the silly title, but the experience was a bit silly. I finally went to visit that cemetery turned city park across the street from me. It's been an unusually warm winter in the part of Upstate New York where I live. I also brought along my tablet, on which I installed an app called 'ghost radar'. It supposedly senses changes in the capacitors on the chips inside the device, determines if they're the result of ghosts or spirits trying to communicate, and displays results in the form of color coded blips of how strong the ghost is, some numbers, and sometimes words. Some reviews of it in the various app stores detail experiences using it to hunt for ghosts.

Before heading out, I tested it in my apartment and found the device quite app can detect the elevators in my apartment building. I turned it off and headed across the street. The park was empty of living people on my arrival, it being on a school day during normal school hours. At other times, the park would be too full of school children playing soccer, or drug dealers and homeless if late at night. I went about 1 in the afternoon, right after I'd eaten lunch.

Almost as soon as I brought up the ghost radar app, my tablet started spouting words. The same words, over and over. 'chicken wings'. Personally, I dislike chicken wings, as I find it to be too much work to get the little bit of meat off the tiny bones. So, either there was a hungry ghost who wanted me to get some wings, or there was a ghost just teasing me for my dislike of his or her favorite snack.

[note from the webmaster: this is an update by the author on 2017-04-13]

Hi. I have a sort of update to this story, and it is not a good one, but also not ghost related.

Someone went on a joy ride and vandalized the cemetery as well as some other city parks.

http://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/syracuse-man-allegedly-runs-over-trees-in-multiple-city-parks-causing-25k-in-damage/691136698

I'll be visiting the cemetery myself early next week to do as suggested by members of YGS, and also take a few pictures, but not of the damage.

Other hauntings by RCRuskin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RCRuskin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
RC, thanks for allaying my concerns on a "ghost-affected" elevator. I do prefer the logical, pragmatic explanation when it comes to general "weirdness".

The Chinese lunar calendar will vary from year to year. The Ghost Month in 2016 was between August 3 - 31, while in 2017, it was August 22 - September 19. For next few years, the Ghost Months will probably be on these dates:
* August 11 - September 9, 2018
* August 1 - August 29, 2019
* August 19 - September 16, 2020.

As my mother's birthday falls in end-September, she would always caution us against travelling back to Singapore during this period. We try to keep Mum happy.

If you're interested in the general folklore, here are a few links:
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Festival
Https://www.yourchineseastrology.com/holidays/ghost-festival/
Http://www.visitsingapore.com/en_au/festivals-events-singapore/cultural-festivals/hungry-ghost-festival/
Https://www.thoughtco.com/hungry-ghost-festival-687512

On two separate occasions when I was Singapore, I've had work colleagues (one non-Buddhist, the other an atheist) tell me of how they've kicked over a neighbour's shrine or a roadside food offering. Both suffered inexplicable trips and falls on flat surfaces soon after, and injured their ankles on the "offending" foot. Probably just a coincidence... I hope. 😟
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
Jubeele, thanks for the recipe, and the information. I work with a group that provides some spiritual religious counseling based on guidelines of the US military. (Namely, my religion may be this, but your religion is this other. Since you came to me for help, I need to counsel you using your religious guidelines.) I did not know about hungry ghost month. Now I just need to figure out which is the seventh month.

And it might be ghostly stuff there, but I think it was electromagnetic interference from the motors. Ghosts do exist, but they don't cause all the weirdness.
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
Speaking of hungry ghosts, the Hungry Ghost Festival (中元節, Zhōng Yuán Jié) is celebrated by Buddhists and Taoists during the Hungry Ghost Month (鬼月, Guǐ Yuè), which falls on the 7th month of the lunar calendar. It is believed that during the "ghost month", wayward ghosts are released to wander around the earth. One of the ways to appease them is through food offerings. Maybe a hungry ghost was placing a request for chicken wings...? 😜
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-24)
Hi RC

It's a crying shame to hear about the vandalism. We've got our unfortunate share of senseless destruction in Australia too. I certainly hope the man's mother (apart from the authorities) gave him grief too for using her Subaru to cause such damage.

I had a giggle at your ghost radar app with the optional extra though. If the elevators set off the app in your apartment building, do you think it was trying to tell you there might be "ghostly" activity lurking in the elevator car or even in the shaft?

I had chicken wings for lunch today and it reminded me about your experience. It gave me a smile. As you love chicken wing sauces, I thought I'd share one of my marinate/dipping sauce recipes: sweet chili sauce, plum sauce, thick sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), honey, lime juice. Spoon out each ingredient in equal quantities, mix together and enjoy!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-01)
Ah. It was two entirely different people. I'd not heard of the vandal until the news report.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-01)
RCRuskin - You mentioned a friend who went on a 'murderous rampage", was just wondering whether it related to the idiot doing the damage to the cemeteries.

Perhaps it wasn't such a good question for me to ask!

Regards, Melda
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-01)
Hi, Melda. Not sure if you'll know I replied, but I double-checked myself to make sure what comments I left on your story. I'm not sure if you mean about my no-longer-friend, or the language thing, or the smell thing. I am not aware of any connection between these two.

I do recall reading of a haunting where ghosts of folks who had been addicts in life hung around living drug addicts to try and get something of a high in the afterlife.

(And I love chicken wing sauces, just not chicken wings. I usually have them with chicken nuggets.)

BeatInside, it seems it wasn't a vandal, but just a jerk out for a joy ride in a stolen car. Not that vandalism is good, but one activity has a 'point', the other does not. 😠
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-11)
Hi RC,

The update (fortunately) captured my attention to your account.
Even after passing away, somebody still has a "thing" for chicken wings 😆

It's heart breaking that after escaping from slavery they died before being able to enjoy freedom...

Oh those vandals, their actions just (sorry for the term but that's how I really feel) disgust me!

Blessings.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-11)
RCRuskin - I don't know how I missed this story when you published it!

What an interesting and amusing experience. I would have laughed my butt off 😆. I personally love chicken wings with a spicy sauce!

As you mentioned in one of your comments, the people who lost their lives in the underground on their way to Canada must have been the most horrific experience for them. I cannot even begin to imagine what they went through 😢

On the brighter side, the lingering souls might find some solace with fun activities happening in the park, except for the druggies!

The update that you posted infuriates me. How on earth can anybody derive pleasure from causing such incredible damage? Anger or just on a high? (Take "high" as you deem fit.) It totally boggles the mind.

(BTW not to detract from these events but I find myself wondering whether this has anything to do with the comment you left on my story "Creepy events at my neighbour's house?)

Regards, Melda
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-10)
Note: an unfortunate update provided by the author has been published.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
RC
Really enjoyed your story and got a really good laugh
On a serious note about the app.
Think of it like this.
While the app may be able to detect environmental changes (as a lot of apps do)
It is what causes those detected changes that is key as to whether the
'Ghost Radar" is detecting a real ghost
In my opinion the app is only detecting a change and the creator of the app decided that it's a ghost causing the change.
I'm glad You only got the free version.
'Paranormal " is big big big business right now as witnessed by all of the paranormal shows on TV. There is a new show out each week. There are folks all around taking circuits and wires and making 'paranormal' equipment. They are making a fortune
Just because they get a box to squawk and flash some lights on and off
Then they sell them to people who oooooh and awweeee cause they detected
A real live (ugh not live) ghost with their very own GHOST GITTER VERSION 1
The GHOST GITTER VERSION 2 has a third light and extra knob for those extra
'Hard to detect spirits".

I know I got on a run there and I'm not in any way saying this is you
Have fun with it but no gadget will ever replace that 'knowing and feeling' you get
When in the company of a real spirit

Have a great day
Randy
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-14)
Valkricry,

Thats a beautiful, thoughtful and heartwarming suggestion.

Like you his last comment did pull at the heartstrings.
I was thinking of how what most of them if all of them, went through.

And to only be given a grave and nothing to be remembered by. That is a truly sad, and horrible thing to do to anybody.

RcRuskin,
I would try to do what Valkricry suggested. I believe the souls that still remain would greatly appreciate the gesture.

Maybe that's why they tried reaching you that day.

Thanks for commenting back

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+4
7 years ago (2017-02-13)
RC, your last comment made me a little sad. To be forgotten has to be the worst feeling in the world, and it does sound like those left there have been forgotten for the majority at least.
You mentioned that there is a historical marker, at least - that should be of some comfort. I have a wee suggestion, take it or leave it, as you will. In the Jewish faith, there is a tradition of leaving a small stone or rock on the headstone of a loved one. If you ask why, there are several theories on it, but the one I like best is given by Rabbi Simkha Weintraub, rabbinic director of the New York Jewish Healing Center. He said, " "The Hebrew word for 'pebble' is tz'ror - and it happens that this Hebrew word also means 'bond.' When we pray the memorial El Maleh Rahamim prayer (and at other times) we ask that the deceased be 'bound up in the bond of life' - tz'ror haHayyim. By placing the stone, we show that we have been there, and that the individual's memory continues to live on in and through us."
Perhaps either on or by, that historical marker, you could place a small stone. Then either think/say "This is for all of you, in remembrance of the lives you once lived."
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-13)
SpiritWaiting and Kiki, thanks for adding this to your favorites.

Maybe, when the weather clears and I'm over my cold, and these winter storms end, I'll see about leaving something. But on which grave? The whole place, according to the historic marker at the site, remains a cemetery and most of the plots are unmarked.

It makes me sad, really.

Here lay the remains of people who had hopes and dreams. Some died on the Underground Railroad trying to reach Canada. They never did, but at least they did not die slaves, even if they died in fear.

Nowadays, it's a small city park. No swingsets or sandboxes, but open grass where folks gather on nicer days, kids play soccer or toss frisbees. So far as I know, no one has picnics there, so bringing in a package of chicken wings might be suspect.

It makes me sad. They lived, left behind at least loved ones and friends, maybe family who never knew. The city mows the grass, but no one mourns. Maybe I should.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-13)
Ha RcRuskin,

Haha he wanted those darn chicken wings!

What a lighthearted experience, this is going into my favs.It's so funny to know this one had a sense of humor.

I probably would've bought some and then set them out. Then again typing that in doesn't sound like a good idea could've attracted so many different critters!

Thanks for sharing
Spiritwaiting
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Kiki, it was the free version (I'm cheap!) of ghost radar. Just shows a radar type screen with flashes of color to indicate where spirits might be. I'm not sure I really trust it, and I've als uninstalled it.

I love chicken wing sauces, just not chicken wings themselves. (I'll buy a big package of chicken nuggets and then go to Buffalo Wild Wings or similar place for sauce.)

And, so long as the ghost behaves himself, I don't mind if he stops in. Emphasis on behaving. No scaring anyone.:P
KikiGirl (8 stories) (207 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
RC! Thank-you for sharing your story! I am adding your story to my favorites purely because you are one of my MOST beloved and admired friends on YGS.

We had chicken wings for dinner tonight, and rump steak! *lol! What sort of ghost radar do you have? I have one on my phone that can also supposedly sense spirits, but the same pictures come up again and again. I did a quick check, I saw a silhouette of a person in our dining room / lounge and I held the tablet up - 100%! The picture of a ghost came up exactly where the silhouette was in the room! I was actually quite impressed and a little startled!

I have heard an old story of a ghost that says, "chicken wings, chicken wings" because he loved that meal so much in life so after death, he would always ask people for chicken wings. Again, I am laughing! Otherwise, it could be a message, very coded and I don't know exactly what it means.

None the less, I hope you get more results in future.

Regards, Kiki!
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
I'm glad you submitted it! We cannot spect entities not to have a sense of humor, right?

I think you were being toyed with by a spirit who looks askance at ghost hunting.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Yes, Argette. I was boggling about it too. Spent some time going back and forth pondering if I should even submit it as it was so silly.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-10)
I've got to thank you for making me laugh, RC. The whole idea of an entity repeating the words, "chicken wings" is definitely silly, but it's also fun. Who knows?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: