You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: One Final Visit

Real Ghost Stories

One Final Visit

 

2018 has not been that great a year for us in Upstate New York so far. The big blizzards at the start of the year, and barely halfway through February and mom broke her arm and needs a joint replacement surgery. She's Orthodox Christian, and as dad says 'there is no ox so stubborn as an Orthodox.' If mom's experience can be believed, and I think it can, not even death can keep a person from church if that is where they want to be.

In 1998, after finishing a master's degree at Syracuse University, I moved to Columbus OH intending to get a job with a company out there. Sadly, I never did. After I moved, someone chose to convert and join the church. Mom told me that whenever she was at a service, this person whom I will call John, simply because it is so common a name, also attended. The priest, in fact, stated at John's funeral that he would be present at every service: baptism, wedding, funeral, evening prayers, vigils, and of course the regular Sunday worship. He was a fixture until he fell ill and his residence became a hospital, and then an extended care facility.

About two years before I returned from Ohio, mom told me, she came to church for Sunday liturgy and saw John sitting in his usual pew, looking healthy, smiling, happy to be there for services again. During coffee and fellowship after liturgy, mom went up to one of John's friends and said how happy she was to know John was better and able to come to church again. "He died last night," she was informed.

I'm not surprised he was in church, since I believe after we die and until the proper time for us to pass over comes, we are free to go wherever we desire. That he loved church so much, where else would he have gone?

Other hauntings by RCRuskin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RCRuskin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-09-20)
I've heard it said that our soul will return to where we were happiest. God bless him and your mom. ❤ Great story and thank you for sharing it.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
RCRuskin,

I'm sure you'll see better days 😲 I know how that feels, so let me give you a piece of advice (nothing that probably you haven't tried already) if it's only the pain preventing you from standing up I'd suggest you to try an anti-inflammatory like IBOPRUFEN- I'm crossing my fingers that it's called the same thing in your country 😲 If it easies the pain and you feel better, it's a good sign and you should repeat the same process during 2/3 days and take the IBOPRUFEN 8/8hrs. If, besides the pain, you also feel like a muscle or ligament is stuck and therefore preventing you from standing up I'd suggest a specialist right away.

Well, look at me acting like a real doc! I'm 99% sure that by the time you see my message you'll have figured something out... I'm feeling a bit ridiculous, but I'd rather feel ridiculous that not leaving my piece of advice. 😳

I'm really happy to know things are on the right way for your mom recovery! ❤
Thanks for sharing this beautiful experience about John.

God bless.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
BeautInside, I live by the rule that Real Life (tm and patent pending) takes priority. Mom's recovering well, and hopefully in less than a week we can start PT. Meanwhile, I pulled a muscle in my back and can't stand or sit up without a lot of pain. 😆 Happily, we have someone coming over tomorrow, 2/28, to help look after mom so I can get a day off.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
Hi Melda, RCRuskin and everyone,

I've been around, but with a busy Schedule (hubby working extra hours, very active kids, putting kids to sleep and falling asleep with them 😲) I can only take time for a "flash visit" and don't even have the time to write my opinion! 😳 Uuuffff
So now that things are getting under control you might hear from me more often, hopefully.
How I miss these conversations Melda... ❤

God bless you all.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
Beautinside - I have already responded to RC so I don't think he'll mind if I respond to you.

All I want to say is this: Where have you been? I sincerely hope that we'll see you around a little more often ❤

Regards, Melda
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
Hi RCRuskin,

When passing over it doesn't mean one can't come back for one last farewell, right? 😉 Trully enjoyed reading your experience, I believe John was very confortable and happy attending to church, so much he couldn't leave without one last goodbye, that's heartwarming! ❤

Our elders are very strong RCRuskin, more than we will ever be...
I can still remember that when my granny had a stroke 3 years ago, she couldn't utter a word and couldn't move her right side... Actually we never thought that she could completely recover from that, guess what? She did! She walks all by herself, she cooks and she speaks clearly. It takes time but it's possible, so hang in there and you'll see she'll be as good as new. My best wishes to your mom and family!

God bless.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Jubeele, Melda, and Triskaideka, thank you for your prayers and positive thoughts. Aside from mom having the use of only one arm right now, things are normal (ish), and stuff is getting done that needs to get done. We've received way too much food from friends and neighbors (not one of whom sent any Tim Tams along:P).

Melda: I don't know if anyone else noticed him; certainly no one else said anything to me about his presence at church that day. But then, no one else at church knows of my interest in ghostly events.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-24)
"there is no ox so stubborn as an Orthodox" ahaha that's a wonderful phrase. Thank you for sharing this story, cous'.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-21)
RC - Every day I take about 15 minutes and ask for blessings for my family, friends and others I hear about but don't know. Your mom has been added to my list. Not because I'm such a great gal but I do believe that every thought sent with good intentions is heard.

Regards, Melda
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-20)
Hi, Jubeele, and Melda. This was a nice haunting that just happened. Not much really.:)

Just returned from the hospital and mom's surgery and I am tired. Mom is also okay, but the surgeon noted some things we need to deal with, so going to go deal now.

Thank you.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-19)
RC - What a heartwarming experience for your mother and in fact for anybody reading this 😊 On the other hand, I think her heart must have skipped a few beats when she realised that John was there in spirit only!

I wonder how many people in the congregation noticed that John was among them, not knowing that he had already passed on? Quite possibly a few people did.

I also wonder whether John realised that he had already passed on? Whether he did or not, he certainly hightailed it to the place he loved best 😊

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-18)
RC, I believe your mother saw John coming back to share a farewell service with the church and the people that he loved so well. I've had a few curious moments like that in the past. I feel spiritually uplifted whenever I hear of these experiences. 😊

Thank you RC for this beautiful affirmation. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm sending a special wish just for your mother.❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: