You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: One Last Visit From Dad

Real Ghost Stories

One Last Visit From Dad

 

I have posted before (although it's been a few years) about my grandfather and my mom visiting me in my dreams. Those occurrences were both frustrating and comforting, but they were not "startling." Over the course of time, I had come to understand that I would sometimes have those types of dreams and always knew my family would never do anything to hurt or scare me.

Since my last story, I lost my dad. He passed away in November 2013. In the years since, I've had some dreams about him as well that I feel sure are more than simple "dreams." He was a very logical and stoic man in life, and I feel his essence hasn't change since his death. In my dreams about my father, his messages are very basic and straightforward - he is checking on me to make sure I am OK and sometimes expressing his displeasure about a decision I have made (that hasn't changed!).

However, the reason I am writing today is to talk about the day he died. He had been in a rehab facility to recover from some complications of his diabetes and was on the mend. I had traveled to see him for his birthday over the weekend and had left to come back home on Sunday. He was on the mend, in good spirits, and I told him I would see him over the holidays. Unfortunately, that never happened because he passed away the following Wednesday - 3 days later. My brother called me at work to tell me had had a heart attack and died nearly instantly. I was in shock and disbelief - and still not over my mom's passing not even 18 months earlier.

I left work immediately and went home to pack. I live in NC, and my dad lived in VA. That night I thought I would never be able to sleep. Instead, my mental exhaustion allowed me to fall asleep fairly easily. I woke up a few times during the night, and each time I saw my dad at the foot of the bed. There was no misty cloud or translucent figure. My dad was there, clear as anything in front of me. I thought maybe I was dreaming, but one time I sat up in bed and still saw him. He was not speaking or moving. He was just...there. I was not scared by any means - it was my dad, after all. But I was startled. I wanted to say something, do something. And yet I couldn't do anything but stare silently at the figure looking back at me. Then like that - he was gone. It took me a while to get back to sleep after that, but I was comforted, saddened, and hopeful all at the same time.

Because he left so suddenly, I think he wanted to check on me and say a quick (yet stoic) goodbye before he moved on to whatever comes next. I haven't seen him like that since that night.

Other hauntings by DestinyGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DestinyGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-28)
Destiny, I have to admit, this story brought tears to my eyes. It just struck me somehow...
DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-28)
Thank you, Argette!

I am as "used to" the dreams as I can be, but this was a new experience for me.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-27)
DestinyGirl, that is really quite a lovely and sweet experience, a final goodbye from your dad. Whatever the actual cause, your exhaustion or his departure, it brought him back, a parent saying goodbye. I think it's beautiful.

I've heard so many people talk of similar experiences upon loss of a loved one. Each one manifests differently.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: