You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Stoughton, Spiders, And Other Shenanigans

Real Ghost Stories

Stoughton, Spiders, And Other Shenanigans

 

My sister P had, is having, a rougher life than most people. She is a single mother of two and has been diagnosed with this illness that requires her to be labeled as 100% disabled. She's a workaholic, so this diagnosis was especially upsetting, not only will her body not let her do what she loves, she is mostly stuck in her room. Her two kids are, unfortunately children, and can't understand why mommy can't give them the full attention they need, so they lashed out and became selfish, self serving young adults, although my niece is turning her life around now.

As a result of her illness, my Mom and I got together and said, we will get a large enough house to take in my sister and her children. Mostly because, the kids would call us when their mom would go into an episode and we, my mom and I, living 2 towns over, would run over to my sisters place to help. So we though it would be easier to just all live together.

We found a place big enough, with a partially finished basement, that I turned into the 5th bedroom/one bedroom apartment, There is a full bathroom on each floor, including the basement, so, you know, Jackpot. I took the basement as my room, my mom and sister took the two upstairs bedrooms and my niece and nephew took the two bedrooms on the main floor. This house is a cape, like the Billerica house, but instead of menacing closets, there is a crawl space and a slanted ceiling. The crawl space was packed tight with junk my mom refuses to throw away.

Living in the basement was difficult at first because of the access to the laundry room. Until I closed off the room, the only access to the laundry room was through my kitchen. It was maybe the 3rd week living there that I was woken up around 2am to a bright light coming from the laundry room. I just thought someone decided to do their laundry, not yet realizing the time, still rude no matter how you look at it. Here I am sleeping and someone turns on the light. So I look up at the door to the laundry room, and I see this guy, bathed in light, curly light brown hair, wearing a toga with what looked like a piece of rope tied around his waist. He was just leaning against my kitchen sink in a casual manor, with his legs crossed as if he was in a conversation with someone, and he was just smiling and looking right at me. It got dark again, and I could see his outline slowly fade. I had some trouble sleeping after that, so I put on the TV and let it lull me back to sleep.

A few nights later, I heard someone call my name. It sounded like a girl I knew in 3rd grade, I opened my eyes and I was looking at the ceiling, more to the point, I was looking at someones elbow sticking out of my ceiling. It was clearly an elbow, it was half of the forearm, the elbow, and half of the upper arm, and then the spiders came, and took it away. No, I was most assuredly awake, and no I don't take any medication prescription or otherwise. I turned on my trusty TV again and tried to let it pass.

My sister and mother got into an argument, so my sister and her kids moved out. Tired of using the stairs, my mom decided to move to one of the main floor rooms, and I moved to the two upstairs rooms, one being my bedroom, the other being my living room. It didn't matter though, that guy still found me. This time I heard my dad call my name, and I looked up and standing over/through me, was that curly haired guy, minus the light. He was standing in the middle of me, looking down at me with a kind smile, I sat strait up to where I was face to face with him, and he didn't fade, he didn't even flinch. He stayed there, face to face with me for a few seconds. I lost what ever nerve I thought I had that made me sit up, and just froze. His kind smile fixed on his face, he sort of laughed, like a short singular "ha", and left, as in, he turned and walked out of me and to my door, turned back and then dissipated. I haven't seen him since and that was two years ago. The spiders though, I see the spiders often. I don't think they mean anything. I see them scurry across my ceiling, some huge, some normal size. I have been told that spiders are good luck, so I don't bother them, they don't bother me anyway. They just seem to like to scurry around and disappear into my wall, None of what I have seen in this place has given off any hostel or evil vibe. Still, it's unsettling to wake up with someone standing in you. No cold breeze, in fact, I felt warm and safe, along with alarmed and terrified.

That's all I have, thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, waltrow1274, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-11)
Hello waltrow. Nice story. One question tho, why doesn't it bother you that you saw someone's elbow on the ceiling? Why didn't you freaked out like any normal people do? My theory is that you were half dreaming and at the same time half awake that's why you saw these images.It's only my theory tho.I'm not suggesting that your story Isn't true. But anyways thanks for sharing
waltrow1274 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-07)
Manafon1 Thanks again; as always (referring to your comments on other posts as well as this one) you always respond respectfully and knowledgeably. No, I don't think you were at all rambly.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Waltrow--I am very glad you took my comment in the way it was intended and took no offense. Certainly none was intended. Although it is true that just about every account on YGS could be regarded with skepticism, there are some where it seems more likely something non-paranormal took place. There are elements in your accounts that suggest psychological roots to what you experienced and continue to experience.

What I will suggest here is just my opinion but I base it on literally hundreds of paranormal case studies I have read and on the many psychical research and theory books I have poured over. In the case studies I have read, as has been noted by many a psychical researcher, general patterns emerge that are noted in particular types of cases time and time again.

With that said, the majority of occurrences you have outlined don't fit any of the broad, general patterns that have emerged from nearly 150 years of comprehensive case studies carried out by groups like the British and American Societies of Psychical Research (among several others). Of course there are always cases that fall outside the normally reported types of phenomena but the spiders you describe, for example, that appear to you do not even remotely resemble some of the stranger reported cases. For example, there was a report of two young women who saw a vast estate, including a massive stone fence, wrought iron gates, orchards and a huge mansion that were not there when they passed the area again some weeks later. Some investigation turned up evidence that two hundred or so years earlier there had indeed been a huge estate where the women saw it.

It was probably all part of what psychical researchers call an "apparitional drama" in which the estate was the image sent by a presumably dead "agent" to the young women (whose subconscious working in tandem with the sent message co-created the image). Spiders appearing over and over again without any other context seems like something with psychological roots as opposed to paranormal.

Additionally it would seem you could have been a candidate to have experienced poltergeist-like phenomena when you were younger with all the difficulties you went through. Yet, nothing you describe is particularly poltergeist-like. You mention that you have been diagnosed with separation anxiety and a severe personality disorder. Maybe (and I am not a doctor) some of what you have experienced are as yet unrecognized (by your doctors) aspects of your existing conditions or are an as yet undiagnosed new condition that could cause hallucinations.

It just seems with your traumatic childhood and difficult adulthood, which had already caused you some psychological issues, that a psychological cause is a stronger possibility than a paranormal one. Of course many believe that those suffering psychological issues are sometimes more vulnerable to experiencing paranormal phenomena. In weighing the evidence in your accounts it just seems that the psychological angle seems a more likely explanation, in considering your personal history, than a paranormal one. Sorry for the super long post. I will now pass the YGS baton on to whoever wants to pick it up to add their opinion. Whatever is happening to you waltrow, I wish you the best. I wrote this when I got off work so if I seem a bit rambly, that's the cause 😜.
waltrow1274 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-06)
Thank you Manafon1 your comments are something to consider.
First, to be clear, because it may not appear so, I am not offended or upset by your comments or suggestions, they could very well apply to everyone who posts on this site. Without personally witnessing each and every individual experience, we really only have the authors word that the events happened, and, as with everything, it has to be approached with a certain degree of openness and skepticism at the same time.
However, I reread that section just to see how it came across, and I think I could have described my reaction better. I was extremely startled to see someone standing over me, when I sat up I realized he was standing through me, and I froze when I was face to face with him and he didn't move, usually when you look over at something or confront it, it disappears, he didn't budge, that caused all of my strength to leave me. There was nothing calm about it, I didn't casually sit up like I was getting up to use the toilet, I shot up in an alarmed state, ready to defend myself, thinking someone was standing at the foot of my bed. I know that's not how it came across, it made sense to me when I wrote it that way, but upon review it is very misleading.
I have been officially diagnosed with separation anxiety, and a severe personality disorder. Although I can be a little moody at times, a little lethargic, and maybe a little crass. I have never had a hallucination, delusion, or anything else that might be considered an altered state of consciousness. You have me on the spiders though, at first I thought it was my eyelashes, but then they started to move and take shape. There are also real spiders in my room, I don't know how I feel about them, as I said before, I heard that spiders are good luck, but I don't really want them in my room.
As with my other posts, I saw what I saw, and heard what I heard, my choice to share it on this website is simply because I felt like sharing my experiences. I'm not looking for validation, I'm not concerned if anyone believes me, I'm not here for that. I appreciate your candor; an honest response, for better or worse, is all anyone can hope for.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-05)
waltrow--There have been many cases in psychical research literature that describe instances where sections of apparitional bodies appear from walls, ceilings and so on. In some cases only sections of the bodies are seen because there have been alterations to the buildings since the era the ghosts were people living or working in these places.

There are other reports, like yours, where only an arm or head and torso for instance, appear from out of a wall. I have read of cases where half a body appears out of a wall to stare down on a person in their bed. That would be alarming. I can't recall ever reading of a case of an apparition sprouting up from the body of a person lying down before though. Ghosts can do some pretty wild things though so I don't see a reason a ghost couldn't pop up in the center of someone. However, your reaction seems a bit calm for what most would find a truly freaky and even terrifying experience. Most people would at least be startled enough to jump up and make haste out of the room. Your reaction suggests you might have been dreaming and woke afterwards thinking what you had seen was real. Or that you had a delusion.

There are troubling elements to your narratives, and your profile, that suggest you might have occasional delusions. Please don't take this the wrong way. I just think talking to a psychologist might uncover some repressed issues that could be causing you to see, at least some, of the things you have experienced.

The spiders you describe sound like very real hallucinations. You write that the elbow and arm you saw were taken away by the spiders. This sounds like a delusion. As Argette stated, your family situation and occurrences may be feeding each other. It is simply too difficult to ascertain what, if any, of your potentially paranormal occurrences are real or rooted in a psychological cause. You had a really difficult childhood and as you note in your profile, have had continuing issues.

You should talk to a healthcare professional to deal with issues that could be causing the unusual things you see and hear before you or anyone on YGS could in good faith call them paranormal. Best wishes to you.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-05)
Oh, good! I'm glad to hear that.

Try peppermint oil to deter spiders.
waltrow1274 (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-05)
Thank you Argette. It is highly possible, other than the spiders, everything else seems to have stopped.
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-06-05)
I'm not sure how to react to this. Certainly frightening, but the first thought I have is that the family situation and the occurrences are feeding on each other.

Thanks for sharing this, Waltrow. I hope one of the more knowledgeable YGS members can be more helpful.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: