You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Something Was There That Night

Real Ghost Stories

Something Was There That Night

 

Greetings from Gujarat,India. I want to share this experience with you guys... Hope you can share your views on this experience.

This is occurred in August 2009 back then I was in the first year of medical college. It was time for my exams and new batch was coming in few days. I was staying at college's hostel/dorm.

Let me tell you about my hostel/dorm it was huge rectangle shaped building it had 3 floors. My room was on the left lower corner on the ground floor. The last room... Room no.11...every corner room of that building was different then the other rooms... Kinda big and not adjoining with the other room. My room was the last one and between the other room there was a window from where we can see the gap and backyard of the building. My room was huge with at least 4 person can stay with one back door and huge window with thick glass. After that there was small balcony with iron nets.

My hostel/dorm was surrounded by the big trees and bushes. It was beautiful view like if u sit in the balcony with books there is no one to disturb you. It was the reading vacation time and some holiday was coming up so only 3-4 students were there. My home was really far away from my college and I thought that staying in dorm will give me some enough quality reading time so I didn't go home like others.

So I was alone in the room and only 3-4 students were there on ground floor. I was reading at that time, it was around 11 p.m. I was alone so I lock the backdoor and close the window. My study table light was only on then suddenly I hear this sound like someone is walking in the backyard means in the bushes. First I didn't take it seriously though because I know many animals live in those bushes; snakes,pigs,dogs,monkeys etc. So I didn't pay attention.

Hostel/dorm was quiet on that time because very few students were there. The voice which animals makes in bushes was getting louder by moment. I didn't pay much attention, but I did know that it was exactly behind my room's balcony. And it was coming closer...

But I wasn't afraid due to thick walls and iron nets. Plus my back door and all the window were closed. It was momentary silence for like 5 minutes and then I heard this scratching sound on my room's back door. Like some wild animal scratch on wood. It get my attention.

My bed was far away from backdoor so I just looked at it trying to figure out what is happening. It stopped for 3-4 minutes and then again. It was louder and longer this time. I closed my book and just sit there. There was no hissing sound or grunting sound only scratching sound was there. It was like something was trying to get in. And it goes intense by every moment. There was no shadow on the window too. In 20 minutes situation got so intense I was standing on my bed. It was relentless scratching.

I couldn't take it anymore and I got out of the room, and went to that two room adjoining window. I stood there for 10 mins, I thought if its animal it will move and I will see it in that backyard streetlight. But there was nothing... I went back in the room but the scratching was still going on although it got slower. Like after 2 minutes you heard the scratching noise.

So I just ran out of my room and trying to find company. And my fellow student was there on the other end's corner room. I just went in his room trying to act like normal.

I invited him to study with me in my room, but I didn't tell him what was happening in there. He agreed and took his books and come with me in my room. He choose the last bed which was near to the backdoor and started reading.

The scratching sounds were definitely decreased but I can feel it. Even my friend told about it but he didn't pay much attention either. Around 20 minutes letter it was pin dropped silence in the balcony. Just like regular day so I took my torch and open the backdoor but it was nothing. No one was in the bush. Not even animal. I didn't slept that night.

It occurred only that night. I had some other experience in that room but never felt this again.

I still wonder what was it? Or what would happen to me if I open that door when things were intense...

English is not my first language so pardon me guys

I hope you guys can share some views...

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Akclone, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-16)
Akclone - 30 minutes is nothing to a persistent animal.

Take a hypothetical situation. If you ran for protection to a tall tree and seated yourself right at the top in order to escape an animal which cannot climb a tree, it would quite happily sit under that tree for hours waiting for you to descend.

A ghost? No, I don't believe it would hang around for hours. I think even 30 minutes is stretching it. Anything is possible but I have never, ever had a paranormal experience which lasted for 30 minutes. However, I'm only speaking for myself.

Regards, Melda
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
It was very likely an animal. There is no data to indicate otherwise, and this is a common experience with animals.
Akclone (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Guys there are some things which I want to clarify with you regarding this experience...
A.beside the scratching... There was no anyother sound... No wing flapping... No growling... No meowing... No barking or hissing... And who ever it was... It did scratching for 30 mins... I m not animal expert here... But if animals can go to that level stealth mode let me know...
B. I m sure that scratching was on the backdoor... Not in the back yard... And my gallery is protected with iron nets... No big animal can cross it... And the intensity of scratching was felt like it was big animal
Akclone (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-15)
Rynne...thank you for commenting...
It was longer break... Reading vacation time...
And that night fear got best of me...
rynne (69 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Sounds like maybe an animal that got closer to the building because most people were away as you mention and therefore less activity, felt safer to come closer to the building. It is also likely that an animal especially a monkey for example, may have gotten 'lucky' earlier when the backdoor was kept unlocked.

Am curious though--as a medical, student studying sciences, was your curiosity not peaked enough to try and figure out if it was an animal? I would have perhaps asked myself--what will happen if I knocked against on the door?:)

(A question too-- you mentioned that exams were coming up and you opted to study but also holidays were coming up and most in the dorm had gone away. Was it a weekend or a longer break?).
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Hi Akclone, as someone who has spent my fair share of time out in the forest / jungles, it is pretty common for animals to have intense activity at a spot of time and then moving to another location. The scratching sounds you heard could have been an animal burying / retrieving prey or food from the ground, or even 2 animals fighting.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Akclone - I only mentioned the bird as an example of the persistence of animals. It is very unlikely that a bird would be scratching at your door at night.

I think the only way you would know what was there that night is if you had physically seen it.

It's amazing how many people experience the breathing sound that you describe. If it only happened once or twice, possibly it was just something that was passing through and then moved on.

Regards, Melda
Akclone (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Yes we did have some some other experience in that room... This occurrence was not persistent... After this experience my other room felt this presence in room... On that night me or neither our third roommate were in the room... My friend is not someone who easily scared of something... Well at that night he was sleeping and me and our third roommate were at the library... He heard that someone was breathing really loud... Initially he thought it was may be one of us but then he thought that we were not in the room and door was locked inside the room... He woke up and according to his words the breathing was coming from on the third roommate's bed... He left his bed... Walk around it... To check what was going on and funny thing was that sound actually moving with him where ever he went... After that he left the room... And similer thing happen to me when I was in my last year of college...
Akclone (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Melda...i would really happy to see a bird... But the thing was there was no sounds other then only scratching... No wings flapping... No bird sounds and honestly I don't think there was something that attract nocturnal birds which attract them towarde my room...
Akclone (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
Thank you for commenting guys... AugustaM No there was no marks were on the door...
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-12)
noirheart - Strangely enough, that did actually occur to us but the bedroom window was next to the bathroom window, so this little bird (sparrow) would have had the same conditions at both windows.

According to the owners of the farm, the sparrows used to nest in the structure of this particular cabin before it was eventually completed. It was newly completed when we went there for the weekend. So, who knows? I must say we were intrigued!

Akclone - Sorry to go off topic, I hope you're interested in birds!

Regards, Melda
noirheart (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-12)
Melda, I am a bird enthusiast and can shed some light on your bird friend. He was more than likely trying to attack his reflection for being on his territory LOL 😁 or thinking it was a member of the opposite sex and wanting to impress this new good looking stranger. They have advanced eye sight compared to us humans. Funny little things.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-12)
Akclone - My honest opinion is that if this had been a paranormal entity, your doors would not have prevented it from gaining entry. It would more than likely just have appeared in your room, if it wanted access that badly. You would not necessarily have seen it but if its intent was to cause havoc, it could have done so. (I'm open to correction regarding my opinion on the above.)

It's actually quite incredible how persistent some animals can be if they decide they want access to some or other spot.

A number of years ago my husband and I spent a weekend at a cabin on a farm which had wonderful hiking trails and the views were breathtaking. The first morning, at daybreak, we were awoken by a pecking sound at the bathroom window. Naturally, we discovered that it was a bird, a very small one. In South Africa the bird is known as a Mossie.

This bird spent the entire weekend pecking at that window. Okay we spent most of the day out on the farm but whenever we returned, there it was, pecking away. On the Saturday late afternoon the wind came up - it was virtually blowing a gale! Still the bird persisted until it was blown off by the wind.

During the time that we were there the door leading to the balcony was open but no, it wanted access via that window. When we left to go home, the last thing we saw was the bird relentlessly attacking that window.

Like AugustaM, I would also like to know whether there were scratch marks on the door.

I know I wrote an essay instead of a comment but just to point out how persistent animals and birds can be. I promise I won't start on the cat that moved in 😆

I'd be interested to know what other experience you had in that house if, of course, you choose to share it at some stage.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-12)
I bet that, have you dared to open the door, the chances of finding out that there was an animal scratching the door were higher than for the door acting like an impenetrable barrier for an ethereal being.

"Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity"

I enjoyed reading your experience and think your English is great.

Thanks for sharing.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-11)
Were there any scratch marks anywhere on the door? Maybe next time try throwing something against the door - see if the noise scares it off.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: