You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House in the Woods

Real Ghost Stories

The House in the Woods

 

My wife and I had been searching for our dream home for almost a year, finally one warm April afternoon we found it. The house was located in a small town near Haddam Ct. Our dream home was miles away from anyone, a long drive down a private dirt road about a mile and a half long through the woods brought us there. There it stood in the clearing, the 11 room three story home was a grand sight. Although, after being vacant for a number of years it needed some attention, the grass was brown, a rusty old chrysler sat in the driveway and there was a murky old pond around the back.

The house had been occupied up until 3 years ago when the owner entered a nursing home, she had passed away a few months ago. We purchased the house from her niece who was heart broken to see it go after being in the family for over 60 years.

We moved in three weeks later. The first day quickly turned to night, it was quiet almost too quiet. My wife was in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner, it was almost 10:00 pm. I went out in the yard to have a cigarette, I heard something moving around in the woods, I thought it might be a possum or something, but for some reason it made me feel very uncomfortable, a feeling came over me that I can't explain, I felt as if I were being watched. I quickly returned to the house and a short while later decided to retire for the night.

I was awaken by a loud thud shortly after 2 am. I sat up in bed and listened, after a few minutes of silence, I heard what sounded like something being dragged across the floor above me. My wife was still asleep, I got out of bed and headed towards the stairs leading to the third floor, as I stood at the bottom of the stairs I could hear the floor boards above creaking. I slowly climbed the stairs, filled with fear my heart beat faster with ever step I took, my chest tightened and heaved with every breath. I was at the top of the stairs staring down the long hallway. The door to the room at the end of the hallway was partially open, I heard what sounded like whispering, paralyzed with fear I couldn't move, couldn't speak, I felt so cold. Suddenly the door flew open, still paralyzed, I found myself staring at a tall figure in a black hooded robe. I suffered a violent headache, my heart felt as if it were going to explode and then everything went black.

I awoke hours later in the hospital, suffering from a fractured skull, 2 broken ribs and a shattered knee. It seems that I passed out and fell down the stairs, all the noise woke my wife who found me at the bottom of the stairs. I told my wife what had transpired on the third floor, she seemed to look at me with a bit of disbelief. I pleaded with her not to go back, there was something very evil there. She blamed the whole ordeal on my habit of sleepwalking, which by the way I haven't done in several years.

After a short stay in the hospital it was time to go home. I reluctantly returned to the house and my wife had helped to convince me that I must have been sleepwalking during a nightmare.

All seemed peaceful, everything was unpacked and I settled on the sofa for some rest. My wife seemed content in the new house and she told me that she set up her sewing/reading room on the third floor and that nothing unusual happened up there, it was just a dream and I needed to get over it.

Over the next few weeks my wife seemed to change, she became very quick tempered and verbally abusive, she has even gone into some very violent tirades and broken things for little or no reason. I still hear noises and feel as if there is something around us, but when I mention this to her she becomes enraged. She spends most of her time in her sewing/reading room and most nights seems to sleep there. She has become quiet and withdrawn, rarely leaving the house and only for long walks in the woods when she does.

She has cut all contacts with family and friends and hasn't ventured off the property in months. The only joy she seems to get is when she feeds the stray dog that comes by every evening, that dog seems to be the only concern to her these days. Our marriage has become very strained and I don't come home very often, I spend most nights at a friends house. I have barely begun to tell most of my story and will be posting it in several chapters. But, my main hope is to convince my wife to leave this wretched house.

Other hauntings by mjlain2

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mjlain2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

alien11able (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-30)
This comment comes a little late from your original posting date but are you alright these days? Since reading your account of the "dream house", I'm really concerned about you and your wife. It sounds like you have a serious case of demonic oppression.
MoonBeam2598 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-03)
As a true believer I think you should get a priest to do an exorcism. Your wife is probably being possessed by something demonic. Whatever it is it's controlling your wife. It's making her want to stay. Be violent. And never leave. You may be able to trick her. But it wouldn't be pleasant. You'd have to tie her up. As well as blindfold and gauge her. Then you'd have to take her directly to a church. To a confessions room. Keep her in there until you get the priest. Then ask the priest to do an exorcism right then and there. Make sure if you would rather not do this you buy cross necklaces. Get holy water. And pray for her. Make sure if you buy the crosses they are metal and not wooden. If they're wooden she might break them. Remember this is not your wife right now, this is a demonic puppet. Do not be afraid to hurt it. It isn't your wife right now. Therefor she won't feel a thing, but it will.

P.S. This may not be true. It might not be a demonic presence. But from what I read in your story you might want to take it into account.

Thank you for the story.
God bless you.
MoonBeam2598
WIckedWitch2000 (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-18)
If you believe in God - Try and get Holy Water and curse it on your wife, She will now not be possessed, Or if it does not work she will be in the hands of the devil - Satan
osyka (7 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi mjlain2,

Your story immediately struck me and as I kept reading, I knew what was going to happen. I believe that in some way the man you saw "possed" your wife, he's trying to take her for himself. Excuse me being this blunt but evil spirits tend to reach out to anything at their convenience. All I say is pray for your wife because at this stage she is helpless and will become more withdrawn if you try to talk her out of the house. Find different ways to help her, as I'm sure you've already tried.

Is it possible that the pressence pushed you down the stairs as you were not welcome in "his" area? What I'm saying is that you should speak to someone who can help you professionally as this is a very SERIOUS matter. Try going infront of the house or in it and read from the bible out loud, but try to get your wife out first.

I'm sorry if I was a bit hard but trust me, I think that the only person that can help is an exorcist at this stage or someone who is involved in the church.

God Bless and Good Luck!
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
also as I forgot to mention, in my previous comment, try to make you wife read some of the bible, or give her holy water to drink, since youre catholic, if shes possesed she won't do any of these things. Put her on test.
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
i seriously think tha hooded man was a deamon, and it possesed your wife, you have no reason to giveup on her, because personality don't change! You should try some blessing, to me it sounds clear that your wife has become controled by this deamon.

I hope you get your wife and marriage back as they were.
rose (9 stories) (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
mjlain2 = Hi, How are you doing? I am always thinking about your case of you dream house and your wife. I pray and wish so hard things have gotten better for you. Please keep us updated. I am always looking foward on what have happened and if your problems had a solution.
Take great care,
Rose
Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
That is very scary. You should contact on investigator to see if they can find what ever is in your house. You have already been hurt, it is a dangerous situation. Have you reasurched your house or the land? Connectiuc is one of the 13 colonies, it has an old history with our nation, and Indian history before that. Your scared for your wife, that is understandable. Have you tried smugging your house AND your wife? People can and should be smugged also. Try burning lavander in her sewing room. It has a more pleasant smell.
My father has given me some good advice about my problem, maybe it would help you. He told me to get Holy Water or anointing oil and use it to make the sign of the cross over ALL doors and windows in my house, and say "I bleed the blood of Crist in this house. In the name of Jesus you must leave..." And ALL biuldings on you property, garage, shed, wood shed, don't leave it any place to hide. The shed may not seem signifant to you, but could be a hidding place for something to waite you out. And then he said to make the sign of the cross in oil/holy water on the foreheads of my children, who in my case or the main focus, and say " I bleed the blood of Crist over(insert name here) and no harm can come to him/her. Jesus pertects him/her" It sounded a little off to me at first, but it did really help for a time.
And please get an investigator to help you. There are some very good investigators out there who also work with occult specialists and psychis who will be able to find what ever it is, and get ride of it.
sweetie (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
Wow... This... Story actually scared me a little. But I'm going to tell you though, obviously you're not going to be able to convince your wife that something is eerie about that place. Can you afford to call a paranormal expert(s) to investigate the place? Or better yet, ask a relative of the lady that died to tell you of the history of the house? Well... Whatever you plan on doing, I do hope to hear more about this story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
Mjlain, hello. This thing is really attracted to your wife, it's good that she's getting out of the house. Do you see any changes in her when she gets back from her walks? I'm wondering if getting out of the house clears her head or not, that might help you in deciding if the land is also affecting her. Have you had any more success getting through to her? The footprints on the roof are worrisome. You say they look like women's shoes so maybe it is the previous lady of the house trying to sabotage your relationship, as mustang and Wendy suggest. Good luck with all. Please keep us informed of any new developments.
mjlain2 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Once again, thank you all for the comments. I have been staying at the house since last Friday. It seems to be pretty calm at the moment. I have been walking through the house reading the bible when my wife goes on her walks, I am trying to talk her into taking a vacation. I am hoping that if I can get her away from the house for a while that she will begin to see things differently. As for activity in the house, I heard some noises on the roof. We just had snow yesterday and this morning I saw foot prints in the snow on the roof. I stared at the roof for about a half of an hour in disbelief. The roof is at such a slant it wouldn't be possible for anyone to walk up it. But, right there in plain view, there are shoe prints going straight up the roof and they stop right at the peak. If I had to guess, I would say they look like a pair of womans clogs, or some other type of small womans shoes with a wide heel, about a size 5 or 6.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
First of all, I read in your comments that there had been rumors of occult activity in the house, rumors all though have basis in fact, can be stretched and made more out landish with time.

I am not saying that the house does not have some very negative energy and possible some negative entities that must be gotten rid of, just remember not to take every rumor at face value.

You wife sounds as if she may be becoming profoundly affected by the negative energy in the home, altering her personality and life for this energy cannot be healthy, for either of you.

Pray, pray pray. Take a Bible with you and pray through the head aches. Place a cross in every room of that house. Tell 'it' to leave in the name of the Lord. Have clergy accompany you if need be. If you wife is as resistant as you indidcate you may need to do it when she walks in the woods, at least start it that way. Start also by taking back some of the fear, these 'things' manifest in fear. They take the energy from fear and it strengthens them. Read some Bible passages in and around the house. I would do this in every single room and basement and attic, all through the home, considering you do not know what all occured
in this place and on this land.

If this advice does not work for you, there are cleansing ceremonies, one listed on this site that are very effective. You must try to find the spiritual side within yourself to deal with this menace.

Please keep us posted.
God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
This is the perfect ghost story, almost too perfect; not unlike the house being quiet, almost too quiet...
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Wow what a graet story it is going into my favourites. It reminds me of the Amytiville story. Very scary. You have to do something. There is something evil in there. Try finding some information on the house. Try blessing it.
wendymneil123 (7 stories) (24 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
I would try and bless the house! Or maybe set up a video camera on the third floor to catch the hooded figure on camera, so you can maybe show your wife that there is something wrong. It obviously has attached itself to your wife. If you could maybe get her away from the house for just a few hours maybe she could see there is a problem.

Let me know how things work out. I wish you all the luck in the world. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Believe it or not, I forgot something Joe 😊
You MAY be able to contact the nursing home that the previous owner was living in and, after explaining why you need the information, get the answer to whether or not she also experienced anything odd in the home. Depending on her mental health when she lived there, the experience may be enlightening.
Sometimes you can contact that residents personal nurse. I tell you, if you walked up to me with this story in the retirement community I work in, I would try to bend over backwards finding out what I could for you. Often times the nurse can find out more than a visitor with no ties.
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Hi Joe.
I was just reading your comment where you described walking through your house reading the Bible and you got a negative response from your "guest".
I do not know why, but I feel I must tell you that you are not crazy, you aren't. What you are going through is something that is unexplained, but it is happening. I think what has been left behind is kind of a black hole of negativity. It works like a vacuum, basically. Anything that is not of like emotion gets "sucked in".
I have had some interesting experiences, but I firmly believe if this was one of my occurrences, I would take my wife to the nearest relative or friend for a little vacation. I do not know what your financial situation is, whether she is working or not, but I think I would let her visit with someone that would also have her best interests at heart. You do not have to tell this person that you take her to the whole story. You can just let them know that she seems stressed out and perhaps a three story house is just a bit much for her after your move. (That is NOT a lie. That way they would probably be more likely to allow her to relax, therefore recuperating)
Then I would go back to the house armed to the hilt with all of the spiritual weapons that you feel are necessary. Personally, I would stop off at the local Catholic Church with a lidded jar and collect some Holy water. Believe it or not, most Priests are pretty lenient when they catch a person dipping a jar into the pool, so to speak. At least they were for me.
You are in Connecticut. Do you have a large population of Mennonite or Amish in your area? You may have some difficulties in getting the Amish to talk to you, as you are not one of them, but they have awesome spirit fighting skills, or someone of the group usually does. For us, I just explained what was going on in our home (this conversation actually took three weeks of knowing the lady to take place. Once I had gained her trust, she was very open) she sent in the right person for the job. What is great is that they are "old world" so many of their practices are extremely earth or nature bound. In other words they will not take things into your home that are not safe.
I would then do a complete and thorough smudging ceremony. I will be honest with you, sometimes you will have to do it again. And again. But it is worth it as your wife's, and it would appear your health, is at risk. Sometimes it does not work the first time around simply because the ghost is stubborn. They do take into their next existence part of who and what they were.
I would also contact your clergyman. I would try to tell him in the simplest terms what you think is going on and of your concern for your wife. If, on the off chance that the smudging does not work out, perhaps the church of your choice has something that has worked in the past. Generally, some kind of free counseling is available and a worthy asset as your wife may need to work through some things once the house is clean. Do not be surprised though, if she does not remember much of what has already occurred.
Keep reading your Bible, hang up your crosses, pray out loud, talk to the negativity and tell it that it is NOT welcome in your home. It may look as if you are talking to yourself, but seriously, who cares? We are talking about your WIFE, this is the woman the Great Spirit set aside for you to be your life partner and she is all you should worry about.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
I am so sorry for what you are going through. It sounds horrifying and disheartening. I have to agree with WB and also Rose's comment. Take your wife away from the house for atleast a few days and talk to her about what's going on. This dark entity is feeding off of the fighting and negativity it is getting from you and your wife's relationship. That's what evil spirits do. They try to wreck relationships because they know that if they can get you to split up then you will move out and the house is theirs again. I would have the house blessed as well as the property(the woods). You need to become a team against this evil entity and let it know that you are not going to back down! Get your wife away for awhile like I said and make her realize what's happening so you can become the team against this thing like you need to be. That is your strength, being a team with your wife. It is using her. Keep us updated. And God bless you and your wife. ~Shelby
rose (9 stories) (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Mjlain2+ Hi, I agree with most commentators. It is an energy absorbing your wifes realities, as you sense, it is in the third floor.

You must speak to her and make her sense the changes of before and after living in the house. Make her aware. But you must speak to her, not near or in the house. Just get her out and talk to her. There are forces where they only want a particular person present in the house and not want others. In this case, it is you this/these entities does/do not want around. They would in time communicate with her, and she will see forms. But now, they are amusing themselves with her mood changes, getting her all confuse. Here is where the danger rest.

Make wise choices, and better judgment,

Take care,
Rose
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Hello mjlain2. When a dream home turns into a house of horrors, it may be time to cut your losses and run. Whatever it is in the house definitly has an effect on your wife, I would concentrate on getting her out of that house - anyway possible. With her out of the house she should return to normal within a few days. I would then concentrate on cleansing the house of the presence even if I had to reduce the house to ashes. If you are like I am and I`m sure you are, your wife is the most important thing in your life and she should be priority #1. I thought that I would give you a different point of view. God be with you in whatever you decide to do.

FRAWIN 😐
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
mjlain2, I'm sorry to hear of your failed endeavors. You are so true to your wife, she is lucky to have you. Something very dark is in your home or on your land, something used to getting its way. Can you sell the house, just be rid of it? That sounds cowardly but I just don't know what else to say. I can't believe that a demon would 'waste' its time fooling with us lowly humans. You just have a very bitter and angry spirit who refuses to give in to you. Take every bit of advice anyone has ever given you and employ it at one sitting. Both barrels, so to speak. Let this thing know you will not be taken advantage of and will not give in to its will. Use the bible and prayers and the love for your wife to back it off. Give it no choice but to leave you alone. I'm sorry if this inadequate, it's all I know to tell you. Luck and love will be with you.
mjlain2 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
As for contacting the niece, I have, she hung up on me. I don't blame her as I must have sounded insane. I have done some asking and have learned that there had been rumors of the former owner being involved with the occult many years ago. I was told that many people used to gather at the house in the past and were rumored to be Satanists. But, I don't honestly know if there is any truth to this.
I will be posting more of my experiences soon, I am just trying to write them down in a logical and sane sounding manner. I am also going to try to post some pics of the house.
mjlain2 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Thank you all for your concern. I have tried smudging, burning sage, even holy water but to no avail. I think somehow this house is a portal. Although this may sound crazy, I don't believe that my wife is always my wife, I can't really explain what I am feeling, but it seems as if something is draining all my positive energy. I have been staying at the house on and off. I am a very religious person and when I feel, hear, or see something I pray or read the bible aloud, but when I do that I appear to be angering something. One day I walked through the house reading the bible and a very deep sounding voice yelled your God is ailing he can't help you. I only enter the house because of my wife and I am determined to get through to her, if I can't reach her I will drive away whatever this thing is or die trying. Please keep me in your prayers as I keep you all in mine.

Thank you.
Joe
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Himjlain2. This would definitely be frightening. I think shandy is right, contact the niece and see what she has to say. I think her Aunt must have had some experiences there. Whether she spoke of them or not, that's another matter. Look up whatever history you can find about the land and the house as well. I really don't know what to say about your wife, I'm sorry for what you're going through. I agree with whitebuffalo, please discount demons and possession. Your wife may just be more easily influenced by this entity. I would like to read your other experiences to try to decide what more you may be able to do. I also think the smudging ceremony would be of help to you. Keep strong, that's the best advice for now.
yorkster1234 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
i used to get alerts when I was little I saw things, saw doors move, and even saw ONE ghost (that might be imaginary)
I got signs but they just wanted a friend, someone to live with, someone who cares...
Maybe you should try to communicate to it
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
You could always contact your realtor and try to get a number for the niece that sold you the house and ask her about the property that might really help you figure out what is going on.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
So, Ruby, because this entity is dressed in a hooded robe, it is NOT the entity, but the ENERGY of the entity? Did I read that right?
Thank you.
ruby13 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
hi,
It seems that there IS something in that house, though I don't think to harm you or your wife. Whatever or whoever this is, is maybe trying to send a message across. Have you found any further information on who lived in the house before? The cape/robe is saying that this supernatural thing is the spirit's energy left in the house but not the actual spirit which explains the supernormal feelings that you have in the presence of this thing. If you have any quistions please email me or add a coment to Ruby13. Thank you. Ruby x
Kat (2 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
It seems that whatever scared you so much on the stairs that you passed out has gotten a hold of your wife, not to get too personal but may I ask, would you say you were a stronger person that your wife?
Maybe whatever is in there has pulled her in and you fought it that night on the stairs.
Very strange situation.
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-12)
Hi Mjlain2.
See, here is ANOTHER one of those entities with the hooded robe/cape. What ARE these beings and are they only in period dress or does the robe signify something?
Before I would throw in the towel, or the deed in this case, I would try smudging the house. On this site there is an excellent article that tells you what supplies you need and how to perform the ceremony. With the help of these sacred herbs I think the negative entity will retreat. I would be careful as it feels as if the woods have some kind of pull.
Do some research on the land and home and see what turns up. Sometimes negative people stay negative when they pass.
Is it possible to move your wife's sewing room to a different location? If not, try burning a lavender incense in the room. If you have to be sneaky, dear, be sneaky. Sometimes our loved ones have a "film" over their eyes and do not see what we see is happening to them.
If you think this is a demon, please do not. I think it is just negative energy that has been left behind. It can be scary and it can feel like pure, unadulterated evil, but I do not think so. Similarly I do not think a possession is involved, but there are a lot of questions and future chapters would be helpful in forming accurate thoughts on this.
Thank you for seeking us out. Welcome to our site and I hope you find the answers you seek.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: