You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Do I Miss It Being Here? - No!

Real Ghost Stories

Do I Miss It Being Here? - No!

 

I always felt something unsettling in the 110-year-old house I moved into with my husband & babies in 1991, especially in the basement, which has crumbly field stone walls, low, unfinished ceilings, and is creepy even when sunlight is shining through the small windows. I always felt watched in the basement, felt hostility coming at me. My arm hairs stood on end and I usually rushed up the stairs because it felt as if I were being pushed or pursued. I could only do laundry down there during the day. There were also cold spots in the rooms closest to the basement door. My husband laughed at me, so I didn't mention it to anyone else. We divorced 4 years later, and a year after, my new boyfriend actually brought up to me that he felt something, and also heard the "whooshing" sound that only I had been hearing - around 1 am, about 4-5 times/wk. By then, my kids weren't babies any more, and they also avoided the basement.

After we got married, we had the electric service upgraded; my husband did most of it but hired an electrician to tie everything into the new breaker box in the basement. We were all out of town and had given the electrician a key; he was doing the work after his regular job, in early evening, with a battery-operated floodlight. When we returned from out trip, the work was not done, but the electrician's tools and floodlight were all near the breaker box. The key was left on the table by the front door. When we called, he said something in our basement didn't want him there, and could we leave his tools on the front porch. The 2nd electrician came during the day, and it was fine.

Three years after that, we were having the attic over half of the house demolished and a 2nd half-story added. While this construction was going on, somebody loaned us an Ouija board, which we used after the kids were asleep. Our Dutch exchange student and his friend from France were there as well. My husband and I had the placket, and the students wrote down what was spelled out.

"Stop this, the noise is killing me!" was the first thing it said. Nobody understood what he was talking about at first. We asked questions about gender (male) and place of birth (Belgium). I thought my husband was moving the darn thing. He thought I was. But then, the Dutch student started asking questions in his own language, because in Belgium they speak either Dutch or French. He/it answered. In Dutch. I do not speak Dutch. My husband does not speak Dutch. This was the moment when I knew, really knew, that it wasn't just a creepy basement and maybe my imagination. I had always left room for doubt so I didn't have to feel, you know, like one of those people who believes they have a ghost. I honestly DID have a ghost! It scared me, made me feel sick to my stomach and cold all over.

A few more questions were answered: date of birth, (1816); came to America, (1836); did it like my husband (no); did it like me and the kids (yes). It would respond to the Dutch student but wanted the French kid to leave, hated the French because they had killed his father in 1830. It spelled out a long sentence about the construction being a big problem, then another ("the noise is killing me"). This was all in Dutch. When we asked him when he died, the placket went off the edge of the board, and that was it. He would respond no more. I put the Ouija Board on the porch outside and gave it back to its owners the next day. I will not allow another in my house. Ever. The hair-prickly feelings, cold spots, and 'whooshing' noises all stopped. He has never come back - we think because of the construction.

The house was ghost-free for 13 years. When somebody else "moved in," it was a far more expressive entity (and that's a whole different story), and was upstairs this time. We smudged the house with burning sage, spoke sternly to it, and spread salt trails around the perimeter of each room. When none of that worked, we called in a Catholic Priest. And it worked. He had to come back 6 months later, a completely different entity. It worked again. We have been ghost-free now for 6 years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Marymom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DirtCreature (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-17)
Thanks for the explanation 😊

That is an interesting paranormal theory.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
I like AugustaM's theory regarding the OB.

I also wanted to commend AugustaM and Miracles on their explanations of people being a beacon. Definitely agree, that was a great way to describe it ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
AugustaM - I wanted to wait until you responded to the question to offer my input.

Several years ago I took some Medium/Psychic classes. One of the things we learned about were beacons. Our instructor likened it to a lighthouse beacon that shined where a medium and/or psychic was so that it would make it easy for the departed to find them.

Just thought I'd share that 😊
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
Just how the beacon works, I won't pretend to know precisely. The way I understand it, its something you are either born with or you aren't - like some people are born more psychically gifted than others. I see it as sort of the foil of psychic ability really - that is, psychics are more able to see spirits and beacons are more seeable - as though they all but glow in an entity's perception. And since they are so visible to the other side, they attract entities rather like moths to a flame.
DirtCreature (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
I don't want to hijack this story. I was just wondering how the whole beacon theory works. I am not dismissing it! I have just heard it over time. What makes a person a beacon?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
The more I think on it, the more I like the OB hypothesis. When/if the session opened the "door" allowing your Belgian resident to depart and new entities to enter, every subsequent effort you have made to remove a specific spirit has only succeeded in leaving the door ajar so to speak - just pushed to neither closed nor locked. Thereby, things are quiet for a few years, then another entity notices the door and pushes its way through.

Anyway, that's my pet theory! 😁
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Maybe there is some sort of a soft spot where you live - a place where its easier than most for entities to pass back and forth onto this plane. Or maybe you or one of your children naturally attract spirits like a beacon. Or perhaps there simply isn't enough of what ever sort of energy is required for more than one entity to manifest at a time in your home. Curious!

And what an OB session! That would have been thrilling in every sense of the word! Could be that the OB opened a door - one that both let your original spirit out and let the new entities in.
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-12)
Ladyglow- I am wondering the same thing. Marymom- Do you think that you actually had 3 spirits instead of one? He was the strongest of the three; when he moved on the other two said "party time"!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-10)
Welcome to YGS.

Marymom - I'm glad to know that your Ouija board session didn't worsen the activity taking place at your house and that the ghost left without putting a fight.

The way you describe the planchette going off the OB after asking the way the spirit died, plus his complaining about the noise 'killing him, makes me wonder if he wasn't aware of his own passing.

Do you have any idea as why the other two entities moved into your place?

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: