You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Only One Who Wasn't Home

Real Ghost Stories

The Only One Who Wasn't Home

 

I am an Australian girl with a jetsetting heart. At the age of 19 I charged off on my own to London to join a company who employed staff on cruise ships. It was my dream and so off I went. I saw so many places and it really is the most spectacular way to live life and to earn a living at the same time. I look back now and realise just how fearless that 19 year old girl was and even now I am amazed at the boldness of my moves. When I returned from the ships I came home and to be honest, I was a little restless. Not long after, I met a Canadian boy and a year later when his visa was up for expiry, the natural move was to Canada.

I had been there around 2 years when my Grandfather got sick. I read email after email about his deteriorating condition and all I could do was cry helplessly. We struggled financially in Canada and there was no way I could afford to fly home. One day I got an email from my mum telling me how much better he was getting. I said to myself "This is it, this is the end. People always come good just before they go". I didn't voice this to my mum.

He got worse and one day my mum called and told me she was flying me home. That I needed to be here to say goodbye. We made plans for me to fly out about a week later. I went to work and they gave me a hard time about taking the time off until I told them I wasn't asking for the time off, I was taking it, that I wasn't missing this for their sake. And so, they conceded.

I was pretty homesick and excited to come home. I hadn't seen my family in nearly 2 years.

The morning I was due to fly out of Halifax, I woke up about an hour before my alarm. There was a man in the corner of my room smiling down on me. I had seen pictures of this person, but at the time as it was not an image I knew from my lifetime, I didn't think too much of it.

And so I left Halifax, on my own to fly all the way home to Perth, Australia. Around 36-40 hours of flights. In Los Angeles, I boarded a Qantas plane. Qantas is an Australian airline, their logo is the kangaroo. Their theme song at the time was "I still call Australia home" originally written and performed by the boy from Oz himself, Peter Allen. I was suddenly surrounded by Aussies. I sat down, and they had the theme song come onto the screens with the kangaroos bouncing along and let's just say I was a hot mess! This girl was coming home. She was an even bigger mess when she touched down onto Australian soil in Melbourne.

5 Hours later, I had mostly pulled myself together and I landed in Perth. Greeted by my parents, I was anxious to get to the hospital to see my Grandy. They said, let's just go home first, you can shower and we will go. I didn't want to wait. But there was no bargaining, home it was.

They sat me down and I kept impressing that I wanted to go and see him now, we were wasting time. And suddenly it dawned on me. There was only one reason they wouldn't take me straight there. I was too late. I didn't get here in time. I didn't make it home to say goodbye. I said to my mum "Is he gone?". "Yes, love, I'm sorry but he is gone" she replied. You see, he died the morning I was due to leave Halifax. While at the hospital with my aunt and uncle my mum suddenly realised that I would be flying on my own all that way home, that she didn't want me to come home with that knowledge. She said "We can't tell Kate. She can't find out this way, she has to come home all by herself." My uncle agreed that yes, that was the best thing. It was put to everyone that no one was to speak of this, no facebook posts, no messages, nothing. To just wait until I was home.

Immediately I connected the dots. The man I had seen was him. Not as I had known him in life, but as a young man. I told my mum that I had seen him. That he was there in my room, smiling at me. That he was young.

Over the years all of the grandchildren had travelled, lived overseas and come back home to settle. I was the only one who wasn't home. I guess in a way, I did get to say goodbye.

Other hauntings by sunsetsister

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sunsetsister, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sunsetsister (4 stories) (9 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-11)
LuciaJacinta:

I did return to Canada after coming home and being with my family for a few weeks and farewelling my grandfather. I stayed in Canada a further two years, my parents visiting me there the following year and the year after that I made the final trip home to Australia after the breakdown of my relationship. In fact I know now in my heart that I was always supposed to come home for good when I did as I was home a few months later when my Nan passed. I was supposed to be home for that.
I have now lived back home in Australia for 7 years, I have a son who is 5 and have just this week finished building a house of my own with my partner. We have a good life here but I will always be at home in Canada just as much as I am here. I can't wait to take my family and show them all of the beautiful places I visited and lived in.
silverknight (1 stories) (25 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-03)
Hello sunsetsister. Sorry to know that you did not make it to your grandfather while he was about to pass away. It heartwarming to know that he appeared to you that time for a farewell. He knew you wouldn't make it so that's why he payed you a visit instead in spiritual form. One thing curious thing I notice with people who pass away, they appear in their younger prime years when their soul visits loved ones.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-27)
Aww sweet story. But I gotta know did you end up staying in Australia or did you go back to Canada?
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-27)
Awww, that's so sad. I remember when my grandfather died when I was at work. I really wanted to go on emergency leave but my boss told me to at least finish my shift and then I can go and take a leave the next day. I still wished I saw him in his last breath.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: