You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Alcatraz

Real Ghost Stories

Alcatraz

 

While visiting California in May, 2019 my fiancé and I went to Alcatraz. We took the morning self-guided tour. While walking down one of the cut through areas between cell blocks, I heard in my right ear very clearly someone say "Hey there". I asked my fiancé if he had heard it and of course he had not. I really felt as though I had a paranormal experience at that moment.

We also went to the Winchester Mystery House, and The Hurst Castle. We took numerous photos looking for orbs and such, but never got a thing on our cameras. We took photos at Alcatraz as well, but nothing showed up there either. When we got home from our vacation I told everyone I knew about my experience. Then basically forgot about it.

Today, in March of 2020, I ran across this website and read where numerous others have heard basically the same thing, in different areas of the prison. Either this is an elaborate hoax by the prison to make people keep coming back, or it was real. I choose to believe it was real. It felt real, and I think your gut tells you the truth 100% of the time. I wish more had happened, but I am grateful for what did. If I was chosen to be spoken to then I guess he liked me!:) I would enjoy taking an evening tour sometime later and see if that would provoke more interaction. I hope I get some feedback from this story. I would like to know if anyone thinks this is just a set up of random headsets to make people think something is really happening to them, or do you think it is in fact a ghost speaking to people and always saying the same thing to all of them? That is the part that makes me a bit skeptical. Would love all the replies I can get about this.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, akaiser, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-04)
Hello akasier,

Hope you're doing well. I will not be trying to give a possible explanation or claim Alcatraz to be promoting such hoax, but would rather like you to listen to my experience.

In my maternal house, we used to have a temple and occasionally on festivals all residents were supposed to gather there and submit an offering to the Goddess. I will not say that the possible route was haunted but occasionally I will hear someone calling my name and random conversation while the road would be completely deserted.

Rather I was accompanied by my friends sometimes but I will be the only one hearing these voices.
I would say maybe the paranormal beings and myself somehow knew that either of us are not meaning any harm to each other, or maybe are unaware that we could sense each other's dimensions. I always felt they were just ignorant of the fact that I could hear them. But who knows!

You had a fun experience I believe you should cherish this as an unique experience of the park which most people didn't had.

Looking forward to hear more from you until then...

Peace
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-31)
akaiser - "Hey there"! 😊 What you heard was for your ears only. This guy obviously picked up on your vibes and liked you. Doesn't it make you wonder why he was imprisoned there? Perhaps a likeable, friendly meanie? I know that's an oxymoron but people can be complicated.

I think that was a good experience. I understand that you would have preferred a little more but that's enough to be going on with!

Regards, Melda
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-30)
Greetings, akaiser, and welcome to YGS.

I tend to believe that Alcatraz would have a vested interest in *not* scaring the guests deliberately. Anyone with a heart condition or an anxiety disorder would be justified in suing the Alcatraz National Park for reckless endangerment if the voice phenomena were demonstrably a hoax to boost tour tickets sales. God forbid such a prank be played on an impressionable child; that would be a lawsuit of epic proportions!

As for the greetings being similar or identical, that's just human nature. The majority of responses to narratives that I type begin with the salutation "Greetings," even if the story has been posted by a long-time member. As much of the daily cleaning of the prison was carried out by "Trusty" inmates, it's not hard to imagine a spirit armed with a phantom mop or broom whispering a friendly "Hey there" to visitors (as my research indicates they were forbidden to speak!).

I think, overall, you got lucky!

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: