You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Something In The House With Us

Real Ghost Stories

Something In The House With Us

 

This experience dates back 20 years ago to when I was only 8 years old. Still I can remember it better than I remember the hike I took with my dog yesterday. First to help paint a mental picture, this occured on an old farm in Iowa. Just outside of Sioux Center, if anyone knows where that is. My older brother and I had gone over to spend the night at a friends' farm. They have 4 kids total. One brother my age, one brother my brother's age, one younger sister and another older brother that wasn't at the house often. Specifically he wasn't at the house this night.

Fast forward to the night time. My friend and I had gone upstairs and my brother and his friend stayed downstairs in the living room with sleeping bags. The sister and their parents in their own rooms on the main level of the house as well. It was almost 1 a.m., my friend and I still hadn't gone to sleep. We were just staying up late talking, being kids. Then things got creepy, real fast. We both stopped talking and started listening to the hallway at the same time. Someone was pacing up and down the hallway, with some very heavy footsteps. We were kids and I'd never experienced anything supernatural at the time, so that thought never crossed my mind. I asked my friend if it could be his oldest brother for any reason. He assured me he wasn't home. So I sat by the door and waited until the footsteps were walking away from our room. I creaked the door open to see nothing in the hallway. The footsteps also stopped.

We were both understandably spooked, but I wasn't happy with just closing the door and calling it a night. Even though there was no way someone could have hid in time for me to not see them, I had to be sure. So I convinced my friend to go check it out with me. We left the room and down the hall toward where we last heard the footsteps going. There were maybe 5 steps down until the staircase took a 90 degree turn down to the main floor. As you went down the first few steps there was a window facing you. Most farms and acreages have one main yard light, and theirs was throwing enough light through this window to be able to see our way down the steps.

Of course I had to go first, even though my friend was a good sized farm boy and I was skin and bones. We crept down the stairs slowly and quietly, having no idea what we were in for. As soon as my foot touched the last step something significantly taller than me ran right in front of us, knocking me back into my friend on the stairs. It's footsteps were loud, like it was at a dead sprint. Even though it was only inches from us, neither one of us saw anything. It came from the left and ran to our right. The only thing to our left was the living room where my brother and his friend were sleeping. Whatever it was, it was standing over top of them while they slept.

My buddy had enough, he ran back upstairs to his room. I wanted one last look before I followed him. I grabbed the hand railing and leaned out to let my eyes adjust to the dark a bit more. I saw my brother and his friend sleeping in their sleeping bags to my left, but when I looked to my right where the thing ran off to... I saw something else in the yard. Through the windows I could see a man walking. He was walking underneath the main yard light so I could see him clearly. He had tattered clothes on, a baseball cap and a big sack slung over his shoulder that was full of whatever your imagination can think of. Other than the fact that it was 1:00 in the morning, this man seemed strange because his clothes, skin and even the bag over his shoulder were all a glowing gray color.

That's when I decided I'd seen enough and ran back to my friends room. First thing I did was look out his window, which faced the same direction that I'd seen this man outside. He was in the middle of the most open part of their yard when I saw him downstairs, however from the upstairs window there was no one outside. This homeless looking man with a giant sack over his shoulder either set a sprinting record across the yard to hide, or simply vanished underneath the yard light.

I've since experienced my fair share of paranormal events, sometimes going out looking for them. But I'll never forget the first encounter I had out at that farm house.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mulder182, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-21)
Hello Mulder182, Alina5 has asked quite relevant questions. It summarized what was in my mind while I was reading your narrative. Please do respond. Without those inputs from you, it will be difficult for us to comment further.

Especially what was the reply given by your friend's family about your experience? And did they have any experiences or sightings of their own.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Mulder, thanks for sharing. I hope you join the site again and comment, or share more experiences. Haven't got anything to add that hasn't already been covered, but I enjoyed reading your experience.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
I wonder if this was less of a ghost and more of a humanoid who could make itself invisible. After all, you did feel its physical presence when it ran by you. The rest of the descriptions of its appearance and activities do seem rather odd - more like a confused ghost than anything else. Very creepy!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-13)
To me it sounds like the house was, at least on that occasion, visited by the spirit of a "hobo" (as in the migrant workers of the depression era and of several previous periods of economic decline: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/dont-call-them-bums-the-unsung-history-of-americas-hard-working-hoboes/) - it certainly would explain his appearance and the bundle he carried. How long has the house been there? Perhaps it was a home that once provided refuge for people like him and he was just looking for a place to rest for a while - or maybe he left something behind when he stayed there and was looking about for it - or took a shining to someone in the family that lived there... Or perhaps, as in life, his spirit constantly wanders.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-13)
Hello Mulder182,

Strange! I have been coming across these incidents of other-worldly creatures being noticed in farm areas on various web forums. No idea where's this going.

In this case, it is difficult to comprehend the true intentions of this entity wheather it was malevolent or not. I am interested in learning the aftermath of this incident.

Have you discussed this event with your family?
Or perhaps your friend's family?

Was it a frequent thing they observe in the household?

Was the farm an active site of hauntings?

To be honest, rather than any explanation I'm having a marathon of questions in my head. It was indeed scary to observe an entity walking through the house and specifically passing by you.

"The only thing to our left is the living room where my brother and his friend was sleeping. Whatever it was, it was standing at top of them while they slept"

How could you assume that the entity did that?
Did your brother or his friend discussed anything on this matter?

I hope you reply to the queries providing a little insight on this.

If you're wishing for an logical explanation I'll suggest you to wait for the responses of fellow posters who are I believe more capable than me in this case.

I, myself am interested in how others see this matter.

Take care

Peace

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: