You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Lucid Dream, Or A Spirit?

Real Ghost Stories

A Lucid Dream, Or A Spirit?

 

I'm not sure if this counts as a lucid dream or a real encounter with a spirit, but it has been bugging me ever since it happened and I'd like to share with other people who might've had a similar experience.

I layed down for a quick nap while my boyfriend played video games a few feet away from me. As soon as I closed my eyes, I immediately went off into an identical version of my apartment. I was completely comfortable and didn't think twice of how I got there. I walked down my hallway into the bathroom and tried to turn on the light, but the light wasn't working. I backed up a little into the hallway, and saw an older woman with short grayish white hair right outside the bathroom, looking directly at me. She was pretty close to me, and hesitantly smiling at me. Not to sound cliche, but she was almost slightly see through as if she was a spirit. An overwhelming feeling came over me, my body felt light but there was a huge weight in my chest, and I wasn't sure if it was fear or happiness that I had possibly encountered someone from the other side. I looked over her shoulder and realized my boyfriend was still in the other room, and that gave me some comfort while I decided if she was harmless or malevolent. I smiled back at her and we stood there for a moment. Whatever I was feeling got VERY intense and emotional, and I snapped up back in my bed.

One of the reasons this has been bugging me so much is that usually when I dream (or lucid dream), my surroundings are altered a bit differently than the surroundings in my reality. But this is the first time the location I was at was completely identical. It was the same exact setting I was just in, with my boyfriend playing video games and everything. Also, the feeling that overwhelmed me was nothing I've ever felt before. I've been in this apartment complex for over a year and never experienced anything like this.

Ever since this has happened, I've been struggling to sleep. I have this feeling that someone is in the hallway, watching me at night. Was I simply just having an intense lucid dream, or was the lady I saw an actual spirit? I get goosebumps every time think about the whole thing.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jadeeee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
Interesting story. I am not as well versed on the subject of dreams as is Lealeigh, but I have read a lot about astral projection. Your story definitely appears to be an out-of-body episode replete with the feeling of weightlessness and the perception of a weight on your chest. Astral projectors also seem to feel emotions a lot better - or stronger - than in their physical selves. I don't know, but it was a fascinating story, nevertheless.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-11)
jadeeee

Interesting to note you felt intense and emotional, I do suspect there is a connection between you and this lady you saw during this state of super consciousness.

Maybe from a past life? Or perhaps she's in your soul group? I feel your experience was induced by spirit in a forum that was easier for you two to meet.

The last time this happened to me I actually called them out for what it was. The lady in my dream owned up about being one of my spirit guides... So perhaps the lady in your dream is yours?

They are always with us and often do interact through our dreams!

Regards Daz
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-11)
Hello jadeeee and welcome to YGS,

That was a very curious experience that you had. I have years of experience with my own lucid dreams and sleep paralysis. I keep a dream journal and document them. The only person I talk to, who is remotely interested in the subject, is my father. He says that he thinks that having these experiences frequently is the sign of a "youthful brain" - whether the person having them is youthful or not.

I get the impression, from your choice of words, that you are familiar with these types of dreams. I think that spirits are able to reach us in dreams and they may be even more able to reach us during intense lucid dreams - when the mind has more awareness. I assume that you couldn't recognize the woman.

After you saw the woman, did you return to your position in the room? Or did the dream fade away without a definite endpoint?

I always have found it fascinating that the majority of my lucid dreams have involved the bathroom... The bathroom is the most important room in any home - in my opinion. Maybe that's all it is and has no greater psychological meaning. I have also noticed that it is much easier to have one of these dreams while I am taking a nap in the middle of the day.

I think, if this experience was a combination of dreaming and meeting a spirit, then you still should not fear that this woman is a real spirit in your home. If she really is there, she did not seem to be threatening. If she was a figment of your mind asleep, she may have been someone that you knew as a child. Every so often, I will suddenly dream of a person that I haven't even thought of in twenty or thirty years.

It is really hard for me to think that the woman was only in your mind though. If you ever see her in a dream again, try to remember to ask her who she is. If she is a spirit, who has found a way to reach you in this way, then there is definitely a reason.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: