You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Doorbell

Real Ghost Stories

The Doorbell

 

This is my first submission of many, because throughout my life I have experienced some strange occurrences since I was around 8 years old.

Here goes nothing!

It was the eve of Halloween, and I was sitting on my couch alone watching a paranormal investigation program that I believe was called Most Haunted LIVE. You may have heard of it. In this episode they were live streaming an investigation in Edinburgh. This particular event lasts three days, from the 29th-31st. (Oct. 30, 2006 is the date of this occurrence)

Anyway, the only other people in the house was my sister who was already asleep, my mom and stepdad who were watching TV in their room.

As I was absorbed watching this investigation take place, I heard the doorbell ring at approximately 9:30pm. The very strange thing is, it only rang the first tone. Just the "Ding", but not the "Dong". No one in the house was expecting anyone. In fact, I was the only one who checked the door and nobody else came out of their rooms.

A little weirded out but I checked the door to see who would be ringing the bell at this hour anyway.

But nobody was there...

I looked around the bushes outside that adorned the house on either side of the door and there was no trace of anything.

I shrugged it off thinking okay maybe it is just the doorbell acting weird. Even if it was just a traditional doorbell. Nothing fancy about it. This was 2006 before the high tech doorbells we have today.

So I sat back down and kept watching the program for at least 30 minutes or so before the same exact thing happened again.

"Ding"...

My front door had a glass window in the center. So if anyone was there I would be able to see at least a torso.

I watched the door from the couch and stared through the glass to see if there was any movement. Although I was far away, I wasn't far enough to not notice anyone at the door if anyone had really been standing there. At this point I had the hallway light, living room light, and the light of the entranceway on. And the light outside.

I sat still and then comes my cat Gizmo, slowly emerging from the hallway (located to the right of the entrance), walking slowly to the front of the door and sat down a few feet from the door square in the middle. He just stared at the door. I was so freaked out at this point but I had to know now if anyone was really there. My cat obviously sensed something there. (Animals always sense things anyway)

But I was too scared to answer the door myself so I went to get my Step dad first.

As I passed my cat who was STILL staring at the door, and began to walk down the hall to my parent's room, I turned around a moment to see Gizmo had turned to then stare directly at ME as I kept walking down the hallway. This made my hair stand on end.

I knock on my parents' door and ask if they heard the doorbell ring. They shook their head and looked at eachother then at me, and said "No, what are you talking about?" So I explained that the doorbell rang twice but how it was different than normal. So we checked outside and nobody was there. My step dad went outside too, and nobody was anywhere around the house either. We also checked the doorbell and rang it ourselves, and it sounded perfectly fine like it should be.

Of course they just thought I was hearing things and so on since I was watching a paranormal program. Parents, am I right?

Anyways, I know what I experienced was real, but what could it have been? I've heard of bad omens of knocks on the door or ringing the doorbell in regards to the death of loved ones, however, nobody I knew died.

I haven't told this story on the web before. I hope you guys enjoyed this real story. I'll have more experiences to share in the future.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Earth2Bella, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-11)
Hi Earth2Bella,

I agree with everyone who's posted before me. But I wanted to say that we have this happen at ours, very sporadically, and we both hear it. It's our doorbell making another kind of ding dong, not one that it's supposed to do. When we check it out there's never anyone there or anything amiss with our doorbell. It's just odd. I never submitted this to YGS, however, because it's probably just the doorbell being sketchy.

But this experience of yours feels paranormal. I wondered if what you heard was your home's former doorbell. Like the doorbell of whom ever may have lived there at some point. My thoughts echo Melda's too, a ghost dropped by, drawn in by the vibes it sensed from you.

Thanks for sharing, this is an intriguing experience.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-10)
Earth2Bella,

I enjoyed your story and it is curious. I agree with Melda that it could have been a passing spirit picking up on your conditions at the time: already on edge and by yourself.

I always take notice when my cat acts funny; but, really, who knows why they do anything? I have come to believe that a dog's behavior is a better indicator of whether there is a presence - living or otherwise. My cat gets into staring contests with everything from me to the blank wall.

Your cat might have been reacting to the same thing that you were; and at worst: he knew there was something on the other side of the door and he felt no real menace from it - otherwise, I think he would have run away and did his famous vanishing act. Every cat has one.

I was wondering about your opening statement:

"I have experienced some strange occurrences since I was around 8 years old."

Was this experience from when you were 8 years old? If so, has anything else happened with your front doorbell? And like SDS, I wonder if you or any of your family still live there.

- Maria
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-10)
Earth2Bella - I must admit that I think you might have been a little more open to the paranormal because of the programme you were watching. At the time you were in that mindset.

I hold this view because of my own personal experiences when I have watched paranormal programmes on TV, or read books on supernatural events. Little things sometimes happen, like a curtain moving for no apparent reason or the sound of water running, a whisper in the background. The doorbell ringing is certainly more concerning. It could have been a human being up to no good, heaven forbid, they're far more scary than ghosts!

It could be that a roaming spirit picked up on your vibes and tried to attract your attention.

Just my opinion - I can relate to your experience.

Regards, Melda
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-10)
Hello Earth2Bella,

The other posters had striked very interesting questions in regard to your interesting account.

Hard to understand the entire situation because of the lack of information

Have you experienced anything after this incident?

Well, have you checked for any minor technical problem in the bell system?

But certainly the unusual behaviour of the cat is peculiar to be left unnoticed.

Have you experienced any other hauntings in the house similar to this?

Hopefully, you will respond to the queries providing any further details of this incident.

Peace
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-10)
Hi Earth2Bella, welcome to YGS. Strange experience. Did you discuss it with your neighbours? What was the reaction of your mom and stepdad? Do they believe in paranormal? Did it happen again? Like Veronica said I don't think it's because you were watching paranormal investigation.

But difficult to comment further because of lack of information.

Do you still live there?

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-10)
I first started thinking why you, alone answered the door. The I started wondering why you were the only one who heard it. Maybe like VeronicaMarie stated, you somehow became more open to this weird phenomenon because of what you were watching. The vision of that cat watching you as you passed really creeped me out! You don't think that something entered and was following you? Anyway, I would be interested if strange things started happening in your home in the future.
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-10)
Hi, Earth2Bella...

I really enjoyed your story. I was a big fan of Most Haunted Live too. I don't get the feeling that you imagined the doorbell rings just because of watching a paranormal show. If that were the case, I don't think this incident would still be so fresh in your mind years later. And I don't think your cat would have behaved like that, if it hadn't actually happened. What I'm wondering is if being immersed in a show like that could somehow have opened you up more to something possibly paranormal, especially being very young when this happened. (Since they say children are more open to seeing and hearing things like that.) I really wonder who or what was ringing the bell, and why the ringing wasn't the normal ring. Seems like a benevolent message sent just for you maybe, since only you and your kitty heard it. Thanks for sharing this great story, and I look forward to reading more!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: