You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Day My Father Died

Real Ghost Stories

The Day My Father Died

 

I don't know if this story falls under ghost stories or paranormal experiences, but I am sharing a very personal experience for me. As the title states it is a day I will never forget!

My father was in hospice care at home. He laid motionless on his deathbed struggling and gasping for every breath. You could slowly see the life withdrawing from a once proud man. With every gasp for air we knew his time was coming, and it could be at anytime. My entire family was there surrounding him, weeping holding his hand.

Then my mom remembered that my dad had a last wish when he was still able to talk. Sensing his demise he had previously told my mother he wanted to go in a nice suit and tie as he had grown up poor. We scrambled to dress him in the suit he had picked out. Then we realized his tie was missing. I sent my wife home to retrieve one of my ties and my brother to the store to buy one. Who ever got back the fastest we were going to use that tie.

As we waited and time passed my father's breaths became shallower. Then my wife finally returned and so did my brother. As we rushed to tie the tie, I threw mine together quickly and it wasn't as nice, so my mother untied it and tied it into how my father liked it. We placed it over his head and into the collar. My mother cinched the knot nicely and as she withdrew her hand, my father passed right there and then. We all cried instantly knowing he waited so patiently.

Later that evening as my family gathered to remember him, we all sat in the living room just sharing family stories. It had just gotten dark and the door bell rang. We all thought it was another relative stopping by to pay their respects. My mother closest to the door answered it. But there was no one there, thinking nothing of it she closed it. Then it rang again and with same result. My mother burst out in tears again as she knew and we all knew it was just him stopping by and saying goodbye one last time.

Other hauntings by phear_xiong

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, phear_xiong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-04-26)
My condolences to you and your family.

I remember the day my dad died, it's something you will never forget but I believe that our loved ones that have passed on are always with us, I also take comfort in the fact that they are free from the pain and suffering of their earthly bodies and are perfect again, I hope that you to will take comfort in this thought as well.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-04-25)
phear_xiong, I commented that *My heart is hollow*, That means my heart is heavy and I relate to your experience. There are different meanings to that phrase so I thought I'd just say what I meant. Be brave and strong phear_xiong.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-04-25)
P.S. I am wondering if you ever found his tie? It's been more than a year, and we are still finding odds and ends of dad's stuff.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-04-25)
May his Memory be Eternal.

I had a similar experience last year when my dad died, involving the elevator door in the apartment building starting to close and then opening again as if someone walked in. And one time the emergency call button was pressed though I was alone in the elevator and not near the control panel.

I do believe our deceased loved ones do check in on us.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-04-25)
phear_xiong, My heart is hollow and eyes full of tears. You have retold your father's death with so much emotion, and heartfelt words that express your family's love and dedication to making sure your father was dressed as he wished. May his dear soul RIP.
I know first hand how hard it is to lose a parent/s. It doesn't get easier, but time does help with the sorrow as that sorrow changes to memories that bring happiness of having being so lucky to have such a proud, dignified man as your father. Thank you for sharing your experience. Take care and everytime you feel your father is near, tell him to RIP and go to the light.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-04-25)
Phear, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience.

There are similar encounters on here of departed loved ones visiting their family. Doorbells and door knocking is something of a theme. Your father sounds like a very determined man who reached out to his family. As gut wrenching as it is it's also beautiful that you and your family knew it was him. Some would've brushed it off as a faulty doorbell.

Thanks again for sharing. Love to you and yours.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-04-25)
I'm sorry for your loss, may your father rest in peace.

Even if his last goodbye made his family cry, it was a way for him to let all of you know that death is not the end.

Thanks for sharing this bittersweet experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: