You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dog Doesn't Believe That There's Nothing There

Real Ghost Stories

Dog Doesn't Believe That There's Nothing There

 

We moved into a historic home in Diamond Hill neighborhood of Lynchburg, VA in 2019

With us were our 2 dogs, one large bouvier with arthritis and the other an active, but older hound dog.

The bouvier couldn't make up the stairs, so he slept downstairs whereas the hound dog followed us up every night to the second floor. Our bedroom was on the western side of the house with several rooms in between the eastern side of the house and a small room that we used as a study. The hound dog, Trooper, would go into every room and location upstairs, about 4 rooms, except the study and the stairs to the attic.

The study was a very small room (6'x10') that is very well lit with 2 large windows, and furniture from our other house (book case, desk, table with tea set and a couple of chairs) and a soft carpet... In other words very nonthreatening. Trooper would not go into the room, no matter how much urging. If I nudged him forward he would whimpered. Sometimes at night I would find him in the middle of the hallway just staring at the open doorway of the room.

Reference the stairs to the attic. The were very wide (5') and well lit by both lights and windows. Trooper would go up a couple of steps, then turn immediately around.

I never knew what Trooper saw... I never heard or saw anything but he was definitely concerned or afraid of those areas of the house. Our 2 cats go into the study all the time and since Trooper passed away we have gotten a new puppy and he doesn't seem concerned about the study, but now that I think about it, I've never seen him go in there either.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RussLesco, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
4 months ago (2023-12-16)
Hi RussLesco,

Was Trooper a bloodhound by chance? Apparently bloodhounds have a ramped up sense of smell compared to other dog breeds. Maybe this is true for all dogs in the hound family. Anywhoo it might explain why Trooper was tetchy about the room. I'd be willing to bet it was something paranormal he was picking up on. Dogs love exploring they don't just not enter a room without a very good reason.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
6 months ago (2023-11-01)
RussLesco, That is very sad indeed. Trooper sounded like he was close to both of you. Following you both upstairs every night is the trait of a loyal dog. It's also sad that your other dog has arthritis. If trooper couldn't go into the study or in the loft, it's quite possible he sensed something that hasn't made itself known to you for whatever reason that be. Maybe Trooper sensed another animal who passed away that he knew, who perhaps turned up to show him the way? Its hard to say what the little guy saw. May he RIP.
Thanks for sharing this sad memory of Trooper.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+5
6 months ago (2023-10-30)
Animals generally tend to see what we cannot, cats usually just don't care 😂 you might want to get it checked out though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: