You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Electrical Disturbances Or A Communication?

Real Ghost Stories

Electrical Disturbances Or A Communication?

 

I live in UK. Last week (November 2023) I was on holiday in a remote region in Southern Spain in the mountains on a Crafting Week. The course was hosted by two middle aged English ladies and there were three of us visiting. One lady had accommodation in the main house; another was in a self contained building near the main house and I was in a small house, slightly higher on the far side of the pool about 200 yards away. There was an internet connection in the main house but it did not reach to my little house; I could only contact people when I was down in the main house.

We arrived on the Saturday but the first odd happening was on the Monday night. Because of the location there was no light pollution and all the windows had wooden shutters. Consequently my bedroom was pitch black. The room had mains electricity with a high wall light and a bedside light. At 2:00 a.m. I was wakened by the bedside light glowing very brightly - pulsing - bright then dim, bright then dim. The light was a traditional lamp with a round conical shape shade, narrower at the top & wider at the bottom. The light was so bright it made a do-nut shadow on the high ceiling. I physically turned the switch on at its 'neck' at the bottom of the shade. I went to the bathroom, returned to bed, turned off the bedside light and everything appeared normal. I thought there had been some kind of power surge (although the light was not switched on).

Next morning I was asked how I had slept by one of the hosts. I said " Fine. Apart from the light waking me up about 2:00a.m."

She said "Oh, the battery must be going flat!"

And her partner replied "It's not a battery lamp; it's mains electricity!"

People looked puzzled but nothing more was said.

The next night I was woken just after 1:00a.m. By my phone "screeching" a bright blue light that lit up the room - not bright enough to read but bright enough to see all the furniture and shadows in the room. I can only describe it like the piercing blue light of police cars flashing without their sirens.

The next morning I was asked how I slept again - and explained that it was my phone glowing this time. Everyone looked puzzled. One of the visiting ladies said she thought the blue light on a phone was connected with the internet. I had never noticed a blue light before... But there wasn't any internet connection in that house and as I don't understand how phones or the internet work I accept anything that happens! I wasn't unduly concerned.

The group started to joke and make comments about ghosts & hauntings. I said maybe it's on a Ley line... An energy line? The host said "Oh, there are two Ley lines here - that's why the Buddhists built their Monastery." We had passed the monastery on the way to the house.

I wasn't aware of any happenings on Wednesday or Thursday. If they did occur I didn't wake up.

Friday was our last night. I packed and set my alarm as we had an early flight from Almeria airport. I didn't sleep well. I tossed and turned and at about 1:00 a m. I saw a glowing ball of light contained inside the lamp shade. A perfect, round globe shape that looked hairy or fluffy about 8 to 10" diameter... Inside the shape of the shade but not emanating from the bulb. It did not glow brightly as on the first night. If I had been sleeping soundly I don't think it would have woken me.

As I couldn't give myself a rational explanation for what I was seeing, I was quite scared. I stared at it for 10 minutes. I was wearing a 'health watch' to see how many hours I sleep so timed it exactly - not just estimated. I put my hand out to turn the light on; the switch was just at the base of the glowing globe. The light came on: everything looked normal. I kept the light on for the rest of the night!

Can anyone give me insight to what was happening please?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GVC8, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Alexandra89 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
3 months ago (2024-02-06)
Hello GVC8, well, I would say someone wanted to contact you or at least have some fun with you during those days. Someone who had gone a time ago and who knows under what circumstances.
I had seen what you described as a fluffy bright small blub, and also the flashes of bright ice bluish light over the tree and the neighbor's house and it was several months after my brother died. I suppose he wanted to give a sign to me that he was still there watching over me. I have also experienced a lot of extraordinary things and guess what, they are all somehow connected with light, street lights, electrical lights in my house, and lamps. I guess that our energy that continues beyond our physical world is the most similar to light unless it's not light itself. Just wanted to say you're not going nuts, there are a lot of people who have witnessed more or less the same occurrences...
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+4
4 months ago (2023-12-27)
Val,
Happy New Year! I'm smiling. It is a very cute bathroom, but not that elegant, I just love "antiquing" as often times the old stuff (rewired) is much less expensive than the new stuff and more dependable as well! My bathroom is a shabby chic style, so lots of white wood and gold/brass stuff painted white.:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+5
5 months ago (2023-12-10)
Pelatiah, a chandelier in the bathroom? That must be one elegant bath. (My baths can be best described as 'functional'😆 So you might detect a wee note of envy there.)
I agree with you though. It certainly sounds to me that GVC8's seemed friendly.
Of course, as RC points out, there could be other explanations.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+5
5 months ago (2023-12-06)
GVC8, I'm agreeing with Manafon here, I think it was supernatural.
My first experience with light was upon moving into my current home 12 years ago. The lady who owned my home, Florence, was known for her hospitality and people in the neighborhood loved her. She had passed away about six months before I moved in. I moved in while my husband was serving in Afghanistan, a tough move as we'd been in our previous home ten years (lots of stuff) and I had two toddlers in tow. When I first got here I had a distinct impression of the former owner, her name was Florence. She was a gen. Older than me, but we share a love of gardening, parties and decorating our home. She was from New Jersey and a big patriot and lover of things Americana. From her estate sale, I bought some pewter plates with scenes of the American Revolution as well as a large eagle wall hanging, and was thrilled to have them stay here at the home she loved. Anyway, I digress, but the first thing I did after purchasing the home was to bring some lamps and I cleaned the bathroom chandelier, which was quite dirty. I was compelled to clean it, even with all the other tasks ahead of me, I just couldn't wait, and had the thought, "Florence, I bet you wanted to clean this fixture for awhile, but I know you were sick..." Looking back, I'm not sure that was MY thought! Anyway, the lights would flicker, specifically the front hall light leading to the master bedroom, and sometimes it would be turned on. Later, I coincidentally found that one of my friends had also been friends with Florence, and used to take her to doctor appointments in her last months. I had her over to see the house and the changes I made, and she told me then that Florence always kept that front hall light on for security! The master bathroom lights, six ceiling lights, would also turn on and off at various times, nothing wrong with the electric. And the refridge would ding at me the minute I got into bed, as if open, but it wasn't. Many evenings I would be working in the kitchen and I never felt comfortable looking into the empty family room (sort of open to the kitchen and sort of cavernous as I was waiting for the furniture to be delivered and there were just boxes piled up). I just didn't look (and now, 12 years later, I often capture orbs and rods and "happenings" in here, unexplained, on my iphone).

The other thing, sorry for the book, my mom died ten years ago and I would go to her house in the weeks following to clean and organize for the estate sale. One day I went over and turned off the porch light, wanting to switch it up in case anyone was watching the house. I went inside, did my stuff and took a small side table that she'd left to me... After I got it into the car and was backing out of the driveway, the same porch light that I KNEW I switched off was not only turned back on, but it was glowing with an intensity that seemed supernatural! The sun was out that day, but as I backed out of the driveway I saw it, knew it was unusually bright and thought about it all the way home, certain I had NOT turned it back on.

When I got back to my house, I was shuffling in the door with the table, talking to my dogs as they met me... "Look what I got from Nonny's house!..." and as I walked the small table back to the family room where it was to live, a lamp in that room (another of my inheritances from her, a significant little blue lamp that she knew I always loved) was turned on and shining brightly. That lamp NEVER goes on in the daytime, as my home is quite bright with tons of windows. I was so surprised and just knew that was Mom. I know she saw me getting that little table at her house and was with me when I brought it home. Mom was the type who had lots of great stuff in her beautiful home, it meant a lot to her, and she had already labeled things with our names "for when I die" she'd say. I never knew before then that spirits could manipulate lights, had never even thought about it. I've learned a LOT since then. You were brave in that little guest house in the pitch dark. Perhaps the spirit was trying to give you a night light?! I get the sense that it was friendly.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+8
5 months ago (2023-11-29)
Hi GVC8-- I really enjoyed your intriguing account. I have had similar experiences involving different paranormal light anomalies. One of the most dramatic was in a very haunted apartment I lived in back in the 90s. A blue spinning luminescent light moved and seemingly "splatted" onto the wall next to my side of the bed. It glowed and seemed sentient, but when I put the light on, it was gone.

In another incident, two bluish orbs of light flashed from different parts of a room I was in. In that instance, I believe it was a communication from my deceased parents, as I had been discussing them with my wife.

Your "pulsing" lamp incident reminded me of a house my wife and I were staying at when suddenly multiple lights in the room--recessed ceiling lights, lamps--began dimming and brightening. I don't believe it was a power surge, as all the other lights in the house that were on didn't exhibit this phenomenon. That house had a lot of other paranormal incidents and that's why I felt it, too, was paranormal.

That's why I believe the electrical disturbances you experienced were likely paranormal. Sadly, it's usually impossible to ascertain who might be attempting these "communications." Suffice it to say that I usually find it just kind of cool that spirits occasionally try to make their presence known by light. It seems you had a spirit or spirits who were stopping in to let you know they were there.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+4
5 months ago (2023-11-29)
Supernatural entities have to been known to affect electricity, but what's fascinating is that this is the first story I've read that mentions ley lines.
GVC8 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+7
5 months ago (2023-11-29)
Thank you for your comment. I would love to be able to tell you more but that is all that happened. The first two happenings I explained away... The third was unsettling as I couldn't explain it. I wish I knew if it was communication & what the message was!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+7
5 months ago (2023-11-29)
It might be attempts at communication.

It might be energy surges.

It might be curious spirits wondering about this technology.

It might be waking dreams.

I would love more data.:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: