You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Black Panther, Trying To Get My Foot

Real Ghost Stories

Black Panther, Trying To Get My Foot

 

Before I lived where I do now, I use to live in a neighborhood in the suburbs of Alabama, specifically in Crestwood, on south hall RD. The house was not really old and had been built in 1963 or there about. From what I remember we really did not have any other kids in the neighborhood it was full of old folks. My grandparents, on my father's side, live about three houses down opposite of the street. I was probably about 5 years of age maybe older but definitely no more than 7 and a half because that's when we moved. The house had an addition to it dubbed the playroom downstairs that myself and my younger brother were never fond of going in by ourselves especially at night, creepy feelings but nothing ever happened in that room. I have always considered myself a practical person even when I was a child. But what I am about to say is absolutely true to the experience I had. It only happened once but it was terrifying,

One night, must have been during the summer I was lying in my bed hot, uncomfortable and unable to sleep. I don't remember the time but it was pretty late. I remember getting up and going into my parents room and climbing into their bed where a celling fan was on. I got between my father's and mother's legs and was lying on my back. At the bottom of the bed there is a footboard, a thick post that ran across the bottom slightly above the mattress. This is where I had and would often prop my feet up or press with my foot against it.

I was lying in the bed for what seemed awhile, the celling fan above me was on and I was aware my surroundings still restless. The two pull strings on the fan used to turn up the speed and turn on the fan light were clicking together. I remember just staring at its movements thinking to myself, I wish they would stop clicking. Not soon after I hear a noise at the foot of the bed I look down and see a black panther gnawing the post seemingly trying to get at my foot. This thing was as clear as the nose on my face. I remember the yellow eyes. I was so terrified that I had loss of breath and remember that I had to consciously take in a breath to scream. I let out a blood curdling scream that shot both parents awake. Frantically I climbed back up toward the headboard between my parents keeping my eye on this thing. My mother started screaming and my dad shot out of bed turning on the lamp on his night stand. The second that light went on the figure poofed, vanishing instantly.

My parents were shaken by the sudden awaking and I was crying terrified at what I had witnessed. I explain what I saw and my mother and I stayed in bed, I clung to her like glue, my father cautiously checked all around but saw nothing. It took convincing but I was shown that there was nothing there. My parents to this day chock it up as a nightmare but I was absolutely awake and tell them so.

This was so vivid and terrified me so much that it has been kind of hard to forget 30 + years later. To this day I cannot explain exactly what that was because it looked and sounded like a living breathing black panther but the fact that it vanished the way it did with no trace has me absolutely stumped. The doors and windows were all shut. Nothing was in there when I left my room and went into their room. This thing was there one moment and gone the next. Longer than 5 seconds. I absolutely don't have any other explanation besides paranormal. But I never saw it again and nothing has ever appeared since in my life. I'm now 36 by the time I'm writing this.

There was some uneasy feeling whenever my brother and I were alone but I think that was just being really young and afraid of the dark quiet as kids usually are.

I don't spook real easy. And as a kid loved scary things like the amusement park haunted house. I would even position myself at bottom of my bed and so I could look into my parents' bedroom off the reflection of the mirror to watch late night tv - Tales of the Crypt fascinated me but it never scared me so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I was old enough that I could discern a nightmare from reality and I'm convinced it was not that.

I will add a few additional notes and details. Before I was born or at least when very young, my grandmother would have one of her best friends over to her house, (the one down the street,) and would hold seances using Ouija boards.

I'm repeating what I was told, but from what I remember, the stories go like this, they asked the spirit if it was good or bad and it responded bad. Evidently this spooked them enough that they quit doing it. But for the longest time those Ouija boards 2 of them, a smaller one and I guess the standard one everyone seems to know, ended up in the bottom of our kitchen pantry laying against the wall. I remember once or twice getting them out and spelling my name and various words learning my ABC and Numbers with them when I was really young maybe 3 or 4. These were eventually thrown out at some point or sold in a garage sale. But nothing strange ever happened in the kitchen or pantry nor with the boards themselves... At least not around me that I know of... But that's the only thing I can think of though that's an afterthought. I also have Cherokee in my blood though it's so far removed I doubt it has anything to do with this. I have more Frankish decent from my mother's side of the family. Speaking of parents my mother has protector personality and tries to calm and have everyone get along. My father has always had little patience and has a quick fiery temper. My younger brother has a follower personality. I have a creative and inquisitive personality but very based I like to think.

Anyway. I've always wondered what it was that I saw exactly because last time I checked black panthers just don't turn up in bedroom and vanish when the light turns on. I'm wondering if anyone has had something similar happen or could shed some light on this event. I tried listing everything I could possibly think that might have a possible link or connection but I'm more curious than anything. This is the one event in my life I can't practically explain. I saw what I saw and this is how I saw it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Garm99, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CantunSEEit74 (4 stories) (59 posts)
+2
4 weeks ago (2024-04-01)
Spirit bugs has never crossed my mind and I try to get them outside if it's possible. WOW
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
4 weeks ago (2024-03-31)
Just a quick note for Cantunseeit, I've seen a spider apparition after squashing one. So your mice and deer hunter musings are definitely food for thought!
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
4 weeks ago (2024-03-31)
Hi Garm,

Although understandably terrifying it sounds like the black panther wasn't intending to hurt you. A living black panther wouldn't muck around with furniture, (sorry to be graphic here), they go for the skull first if they can and then its lights out. Super stealthy and efficient. If this spirit was in 'hunt' mode you wouldn't have known it was there. Chewing on the end of the bed seems more like a playful gesture to me, like a dog. Not saying you saw a dog, I believe you saw exactly what you describe, but the behaviour reminded me of a dog being cheeky. You mentioned you liked to prop your feet up on the foot board. Perhaps this spirt had observed you doing this before maybe even thought the foot board was a hinderance for you. I had similar thoughts about this entity as Lady Glow, some kind of spirit animal guide or something along those lines.

It clearly had a profound impact whatever it was. Although it was terrifying nothing bad seemed to come of it and in this way I hope you're glad of the unique experience. Well, as glad as anyone can be of a harrowing unexplainable moment.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with black panthers, had an imaginary black panther 'pet'. So my inner child was pretty stoked to read your experience. Don't know how I would've reacted to such a moment though, eek!

Thanks for sharing, you wrote this really well too, heaps of detail, love it!
CantunSEEit74 (4 stories) (59 posts)
+3
1 month ago (2024-03-19)
If it had a beating heart and walked this earth, I believe they can show themselves from the spirit realm. Many people have seen their passed dogs, cats, elephants, many different encounters. A Panther would be an amazing sight but not near my feet. I always wondered if deer hunters are followed by their kills only since I trapped and killed and then seen dead mice running in my home.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+1
1 month ago (2024-03-19)
Ouija boards are not the safest, and a lot of people learned that the hard way, but I understand that it was a trend back in the day, what you experienced as a kid is very strange, mostly spirits take on a human form.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
1 month ago (2024-03-18)
Welcome to YGS.

Hi Garm99.

In my opinion, it is hard to say what exactly the panther was. After reading your account I think you were fully awake as to consider this vision a nightmare, on the other hand, if the house had been haunted, more activity would have been expected.

It is said that improper use of the Ouija board can open portals to the spirit world, I hope your grandmother and her friend closed the sessions before putting the boards away. Otherwise I don't think your innocent playing of spelling words would be considered as opening a new OB session.

This may be a long shot but, have you considered the possibility of seen your spirit animal that night? Though scary, this wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: