You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Is My House Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My House Haunted?

 

I've been having problems with my home for quite some time now, and I wanted to know if anyone had an idea of what could be going on.

Some background information: my house was built over an abandoned Puritan barn. When we moved in, some of the brick walls were still intact in our backyard, but since then, we have knocked them down. Our house is also located a few houses away from a run down Puritan/Quaker cemetery, and next to the cemetery is an old church that is supposedly haunted. My house was also supposedly the "haunted house" on the block way back when no one lived here. However, when it was vacant, there was a fire in the basement. This leads to my experiences in the house.

I've always felt uncomfortable and had the feeling like someone was watching me from the day I moved in. Back then I didn't know any of the information about my house that I know now. We've lived there for about four years now and in this past year and a half the scares are becoming more frequent.

The first thing that happened, one afternoon I was home alone and went downstairs to get lunch. From my kitchen, there is an open doorway to our dining room. In the doorway there was a figure, about three feet tall, pure black and I had the feeling it was a boy, and even though it didn't have eyes I knew it was staring at me. In the blink of an eye, he was gone.

Next, both of my dogs sleep with me in my room. If they hear a noise downstairs, they jump off the bed and bark at the door to get out to go bark at whatever noise is bothering them. However, sometimes they wake up out of a dead sleep, both of them at the same time and just growl at my closet. They do it for about ten or more minutes and you can see their heads moving back and forth like they're watching something. They only do this to one of the closets in my bedroom. The other night, I woke up in a startle and saw an image of a man hung in all black from one of the closets my dogs bark at. It really freaked me out.

The creepiest thing of all, one night at about 11 pm I was walking downstairs to ask my mom something and I heard what I thought was her talking to my dad. I went into his study and no one was in there. I looked through the whole floor of the house and no televisions were on. I went into their bedroom and they were sound asleep. The next day I told my mom and she said no matter what you do, don't tell you little brother, he will get scared. I didn't tell anyone and the very next day, my brother came out of his bedroom scared, saying he heard two different voices in his room. He said they sounded sad and he didn't recognize the voices. A few weeks ago, he claimed he heard the voices again late one night downstairs, and thought it was my parents as well.

Could my house possibly have these hauntings because of the cemetery? I really want to know what could be going on.

Other hauntings by Pinnk

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pinnk, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghosthunter123 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
I've never heard of that happening, but I suppose it could. If that is so, maybe the ghost is not malicious but lonely and if it senses that someone is about to leave, it becomes a bit anxious because it does not want to be alone. 😳
Pinnk (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
Thank you for the help everyone. I like the idea of an anniversary haunting because so many things seem to happen within a couple of days and then nothing happens for a long while. I'm writing again but last night the activity started to kick in again. Last night I felt a presense in my room and sure enough my dog started growling at my door. Then this morning I went downstairs in the kitchen and before I got in the room I heard someone push a chair out and when I got there no one was there, no one was even home and none of my pets were in the room.

I have a theory that they get somewhat restless whenever they know someone is going to be leaving the house. The first group of activity happened a little less than 2 weeks before my parents went away and the day they left it stopped. I'm going away in about 10 days and now the activity kick in again. Could this be possible?
Feiaby (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-08)
It's possible. Aside from the cemetery, you should consider also the location of the house and it's history. As you said, it's been abandoned quiet awhile. There must be a lot of bothered souls living with you either entities from the cemetery or the previous owners. Might as well let it blessed but not all spirits will be gone through blessings. Just try and offer some prayers for their souls to rest. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
First off, it is absolutely refreshing to read a story in which the occurrence happened at a time of night that was NOT three a.m. I often sit and read through some of these stories and wonder if things are happening at different times of the night, but that the person who experienced it just did not notice. Thank you for that.
Personally, I would think that as you have lived in this home four years, and the experiences seem to have become more scary in the past year and a half, there is something going on a bit differently than that of a casual house haunting.
Looking into the past of the land and house, and in the proximity of the cemetery may have a bit to do with that. Or your Being that you have sensed from moving in may be becoming a bit less shy. Or you may be NOW experiencing a residual haunt.
The problems with residual haunts is that they do not always manifest every night at ten o'clock. Some make a weekly appearance, some once a month, others on the anniversary of an event. It is often difficult to ascertain the rhyme or reason for the occurrence.
This really does sound like a cluster residual haunt, to me.
Thank you.
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
A lot of that stuff happens to me. I feel watched all the time, it's really creepy. But whatever you do don't show them you're scared
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Since you seem to have received some excellent advice from some of the previous posters, I'll just leave it at that and simply thank you for sharing a most interesting story.

Please keep us posted as to the events at home.
ghosthunter123 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Well a few very interesting things are happening around your house. The first thing you said was that you felt like you were being watched all the time, well that can be happening for reasons that are completely not paranormal. High EMF (Electric Magnetic Field) are very common in some houses. These high readings can be caused by pipes, wires, or almost anything electronic. If you are in a room with a high EMF reading, you can start getting the feeling like someone is watching you, or even feel slightly sick. Now high EMF is considered to be when it passes 3. To find out if your house does have high EMF, you can buy an EMF Meter. It's measures it.

Another theory behind high EMF signals is that spirit is in the room. But if you are in the room and your EMF Meter has some high readings make sure to go to every electronic device or any pipes and try to find something that can give off that hgih energy reading.

The black shapes that you have been seeing are sometimes called shadow people. This doesn't mean that they are malevolent spirits, but it's just them trying to form and not being able to form all the way. Shadow people are seen in many different places. Sometimes they are real spirits and sometimes they are just shadows. Go to the places where you have seen black shapes and try to recreate it. See if you can make that shadow again.

Another way to find out if your house is really haunted is to get a tape recorder and sit in a room and start asking questions such as "Why are you still here?" or "What is your name?". Don't be disappointed if you don't hear anything. Listen to your tape again and see if you have captured an EVP. EVP stands for Electronic Voice Phenomina. This means that the tape recorder or whatever you're using to record this picked up something that you could not hear with your own ears at the time. This is not rare but it is not exactly common either, so if you pick up a voice it probably means that something was there with you.

Sorry that this was such a long message 😳 Good luck!
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
To me it definitely sounds like the house has some kind of 'presence' the fact that you are 'scared' makes living their, of course, uncomfortable, I would guess a blessing and/or 'cleansing' might help. Regards
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
It doesn't sound like anything in your house necessarily means you harm, but since the appearance of these spirits is scaring you and your brother, it might be best to start telling the spirits politely to leave you and your family alone. Standing up for yourself and not being afraid is the best way to show who's boss. I don't think the shadowy/black entity means you any harm either, and I don't think it's dangerous. If it wanted to and could hurt you, it already would have. I think they're just trying to do what they do best and spook you.:)
dalton1976 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Beware of the pitch black entities, it's maybe not humain. I think that you have an opened door to the other side. It think that there is not only one spirit is in your house. You have to make them quit and close this door. Call specialists. I repeat Black Entities are dangereous. Fear can increase their power. You'll have to pray. God bless you.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
What is it with closets? Maybe all those cliches about the "boogey-man in the closet" aren't so far after all! Makes me want to rip out all the closets in my own house because they seem to be like ghost-bait.

I don't know if your visitors are past residents or if they're from the cemetery; but if they're bothering you (and yes, that means interrupting your sleep or your peace), you should tell them to leave. This is YOUR life. They've already had a chance at their own, so they need to respect your right to live peaceably. Don't feel bad about it. There are plenty of other people who are happy to help them/commune with them, whatever.

A.
MNPROPHET (6 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Hello Pinnk,

Welcome to the site.

You have done a great job recording these events. I would guess from the quick snap shot of the activity, that you are experiencing an anniversary haunting. (A haunting that repeats itself either on a certain day or a certain time of the day) An aniversary haunting usually will revolve around a specific event that someone is unable to forgive them self for even after they passed on. (Example- Suicide)

I know it can be terrifying, but you need to continue to watch quietly from the background. There is a tale to be told here.

Best wishes, Brian 😊 ❤
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Hi Pinnk,
It sounds like you've done a little research on your house. Thats a good start, you may want to dig a little deeper in your sources to find out exactly what type of building used to be where your house is now. Did it have anything to do with the cemetary or church, was it just a private residence, who were the people that lived there, you know that kind of thing. Some of what you are experiencing sounds like it could be residual, have there been any interactions or communication with the entities? Depending on your religion you might want to hang some religious items in your and your brothers rooms. Please keep us updated. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: