You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Menzies My Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Menzies My Cat

 

This happened when I was around 14 (7 years ago - seems so long). I had a beautiful black and white cat and I was totally in love with him - more so than any pet previously or after him (for which I feel terribly guilty). We had a connection from the start - he was meant to be my mother's cat but within an hour of meeting each other mum just gave in to the inevitable and let me keep him instead.

Sadly though Menses went missing when he was around 2 with his son Tobey (1). For days we called for them and I never gave up hope. I grew very upset and prayed for him to come back to me every night. One day my sister said that maybe he was dead after all and I just broke down - I have never felt that kind of heart breaking pain in my life.

That night I prayed especially hard for him to come back to me as I was lost without him. Later that night I felt like I woke to see my bedroom door opening, but instead of the normal hallway light, a much MUCH brighter one shone and I felt immediate calm as I could hear Menzies purring, as I looked in to this light I saw him come running out of it followed by Tobey.

Tobey curled up at my feet and purred - giving me one of his cat smiles. But Menzies came up to my head where he usually slept and curled up in between my arm and my side. And it felt so warm and I was so happy and I felt tears sliding down my face.

I desperately wanted to pat him and I remember I said something like -"Menzies - your back" I had the biggest smile on my face and I have never felt that happy ever again even felt almost paralyzed - not like I couldn't move but like I was lifting my hand from quicksand.

As I reached over to pat him - as soon as my hand touched him I woke up - it was cold and dark again and neither he nor Tobey was back. I felt sad then too but I had hoped it would be a sign they were coming back.

The next day we found them where the neighbors behind us had dumped their poor bodies after their two dogs had killed them for straying into their yard.

I will never forget him and will always love him forever as my first soul mate.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scarlet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostgirl101 (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-03)
I'm sorry about your cats...
Maybe your cat's wants to see you before they go to heaven... It seems like they love you. And they didn't want you to be sad. ❤
Hawthorn (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-03)
I am sorry about your cat. I had an outdoor cat that died from being hit by a car. I didn't know about the risks of letting my pet cat out of doors. I hope to prevent your having the same terrible experience again.

This story argues strongly for keeping pet cats in the house.

Here in the US, the Eastern song bird population is crashing. Songbirds are important for insect control. In fact, the main impetus for forming The Audubon Society was to prevent insect damage to crops.

As the Eastern US became populated with European immigrants, many of the forests were cut down. The other problem was killing birds for their tail feathers. At one point in the late 1800's the bird population had declined to the point that crop damage had greatly increased.

Studies show that house cats left free to roam can kill up to 2 birds per day. These are well-fed cats who didn't need the birds for food. In fact, the cats rarely eat the birds. Cats are made to hunt and if you leave them outdoors, that is what they will do.

The average life span of a pet cat that lives out of doors is 2 years in the US. Sounds like Menzies met his expected life span.

People complain about changing the litter box. Well, teach your cat to use the toilet! I've done this. You can read more about it by doing a search on Google for "cat toilet training kit". I just performed such a search and received hundreds of hits.
Ahimsa (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hi Scarlet- I completely understand your connection to Menzies, I had the same with my cat that I had for fourteen years. She had a growing brain tumor which ended up killing her. She died yesterday. I'm glad Menzies and Tobey came back to see you and offer you some comfort, and maybe they'll be back again sometime for another visit. The bond with our special pets will remain forever strong. Thanks for the story.
Wicked (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
ok short, sweet and to the point... Your neighbors SUCK. I can't imagine the pain you felt. I lost my kitty that I had for 16 years, but she was sick and had to be put down 😢 id hate the not knowing.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Scarlet,

That is the most amazing story that I have heard. I too have had a similar experience with my dog. He kept coming to me after he had passed but only in my dreams. I still feel that he was coming back to reassure me that he was in a better place and that I should still love him even though he was gone. Animals are a special gift, just like children. They will love you unconditionally and never think any different about you know matter what you do in your life that might make others look down on you for. They are at rest and peaceful in their new found home. You should not mourn yet rejoice for they are now in a better place. Keepin them in your heart and you will eventually be reunited.

God Bless and much love,
Lindsay
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Hi scarlet. I can completely understand the immediate bond you had with Menzies. My heart goes out to you. I also understand the guilt you feel. I was absolutely, completely in love and instantly bonded with my first ferret. It was an amazing feeling when I picked her up and we looked at each other and that was it. She was a small size, bright white fur, though not albino, and she was deaf. She died on Valentine's Day this year after a horrible stroke. We made her a coffin and settled her in but couldn't bury her because the ground was frozen. When the earth was soft enough I buried her and made her a lovely headstone. On a side note, I need to say that since we've lived here, 7 years, we've had a pair of brown and tan doves, just one pair, that hang around our yard and house. After I got my sweet ferret girl buried and at rest and a few days went by, my husband was on his way out and there on the fence was a pure white dove. This was the first and only time we have ever seen this beautiful white dove. My husband approached it and it allowed him to get about 2 feet away before it flew away. We still see our brown doves all the time but we've never seen the white one since that one time. The feeling in my heart tells me it was my special companion saying her good-bye after finding her final resting place. Your love, Menzies and his son came and gave you a comforting heartfelt good-bye.I think from the nature of your experience, Menzies was letting you know how special you are and that despite his physical condition, he was happy and safe. Thank you for sharing your story of your special bond with Menzies. I enjoyed reading it, you really touched my heart.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
That was a terrible loss you have suffered scarlet and I'm sorry for the pain it caused. As long as your love for your pets is there in your heart, they will always find their way home to you for one more pat, a happy smile even for simply one more look.

Cherish their memory-they are happy on the other side.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Im very sorry to hear about there deaths. Animals can be truly mans best friend. Usually they can be more loyal then people. I'm glad that they let you know that they are ok. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are creatures with souls that form connections with us, every bit as valuable as those we share with other humans. The fact that your heartless neighbors were so callous as to just dump their bodies is disgusting. I'm happy that at least you were able to say goodbye to them, and know that they love you very much. ❤
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
Gosh your neighbors could have had the courtesy to at least apologize and let you know about your animals. That is so sad, some people have no respect. I had a black and white cat also that I loved and he went missing to. Still miss him until this day.
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
thats is so beautiful, I love my cat so much I always tell it to come see me, and it gives me this cute look as if to say "i will" Nobody will ever understand how much they mean unless they experience that kind of love for themselves, take care, laus ❤x
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friends.

It is amazing and beautiful that they cam back to let you know they were at peace adn then in turn give you a bot of peace.

Thanks for sharing such a heart warming story.
God Bless!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
People are Cruel to other Animals That is horrblie and Sad, They are good they visting you.
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
Thanks for sharing that story, it's sad but at the same time heart warming 😁.

Whether or not it was a dream or a genuine paranormal experience I don't think anyone can be sure, but I don't think that it really matters because in the end, at least you got to say your goodbyes.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: