You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Linen Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Linen Ghost

 

I'm glad that you enjoyed my other story! I'm pressed for time at the moment, but I've decided to tell one story that I don't tell many others.

The house that I grew up in is a side-split, which is typical of the houses in my neighborhood. When you come in the main hallway, there are two staircases to the right, one leading upstairs, another leading to the basement; the living room is to your left, and the kitchen is straight ahead. When you went up the second stairway. That lead to the second floor, you would be met with another hallway - the washroom and my parent's room was on the left, my younger brother's room was on the right, my room was at the very end of the hall; if you stood at the bottom of the stairs you could see straight into my room. When I was about 12, maybe 13 years old, my bed was set in the room in such a way that when lying in bed I could look straight down the hallway, down the stairs and into the living room. I was, and to be honest still am, afraid of the dark, so my parents would always leave the light on in the hallway for me at night.

One night I wasn't able to sleep; I tossed and turned for what seemed like hours. I've always been somewhat of a night owl, so falling asleep can be a bit of a chore. I rolled onto my right side and looked out through my door, down the hallway and into the living room. I noticed that at the bottom of the stairs, my mother had left a basket of laundry to be taken down for washing the next day. As I stared at it, praying for sleep to come, a sort of mist appeared over and slightly behind the laundry basket. To say it was a mist isn't doing it justice - it looked almost the way condensation appears on a window on a hazy, rainy day - it was finely pixilated and just sort of hung there like a cloud hovering above the laundry.

I looked at it, not really frightened, just thinking I was half asleep, or at least daydreaming. All this time I lay completely frozen, as if in a trance - it's not that I couldn't move, I just didn't. As I looked at it, it's shaped slowly changed to something that could be viewed as a human figure. It was tall, and had a feminine shape, and it stood slightly slouched over the laundry, as if looking at it. At this point I started to become frightened, because I knew I was awake, and that what I was seeing wasn't my imagination. It was then that I shifted in bed, and when I moved, the misty figure must have heard me - it rose what I could only assume was its head and stared at me straight in the face. I panicked.

I jumped out of bed, ran into my parent's room and dove under the covers between them. My father is a heavy sleeper and barely even noticed me, but my mother wrapped her arms around me and calmed me down as I sobbed. I fell asleep in their bed that night and slept peacefully, knowing I was safe.

The next morning my father told me I needed to get over my fear of spiders, as he assumed that's what I had run away from - I did not correct him. I never told anyone what I saw, because even now, 13 years later, I'm not even sure of what I saw.

Well, that's it! I apologize that this story isn't as long or as involved as my last, but I'd be lying if I said I think about this one often. Nevertheless, opinions and comments are always welcome!

Other hauntings by LaurenB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LaurenB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

briar24 (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
When she looked at you did she looked like she was curious and was going to start walking over too you or worried or what. Very very interesting story though I also loved your other story too. There very good. I enjoy reading your ghost experiences.
Hope too see you post more!
Best of luck ~briar24~ 😁
LaurenB (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-19)
Thank you for your comments so far, everyone.

I completely agree with the REM sleep idea you presented, Tonith. And you described it perfectly, Flutterofwings. I couldn't count the amount of times I've startled myself out of that state, thinking I saw something!

In this particular instance, I'm going to have to lean away from that explanation, though. While it was a long time ago, I distinctly remember being wide awake. It's something that used to happen to me on a regular basis when I was younger - I would lie awake, not in the least bit sleepy, just waiting to fall asleep. Sometimes it would take me hours, and I would make shadow puppets, or play with my dolls until 3 am.

It's nice to hear from you again, Kecoughtan. To this very day, my parent's house makes me uneasy. My brother has told me that he has heard or seen things that were weird, but has never experienced anything in particular.

My parent's never saw anything; they used to tease me when I would tell them about what I saw. Almost all of the activity seemed focused around my room, and I'll be sure to share those stories later.

My grandmother told me when I was little that I was "sensitive", which she told me meant that I could feel spirits, hear them, and sometimes see them. I never really believed her about me being more "in tune" with spirits, but I can't deny that I seem to draw a lot of attention!

Thanks again!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
Thanks for sharing another experience with us, LaurenB. Tonith makes a good point about the possibility of REM. I am curious about the context of this, though. Did you or family members experience other unusual events in the house?

I am rather amused by how many stories posted on this site involve split levels, ranches, and duplexes yet "haunted house" almost always conjures forth images of moldering manors and derelict Victorians. Even if they are not haunted, many more folks experience frightening and inexplicable events in these houses that are otherwise rather benign in appearance.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
What Tonith said about rem sleep is true. And this could of been what happen to you, since you were restless and moving alot. However you could of seen something out of your door and if you did, it certainly would of been a frighten sight to see.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
Were you possibly inbetween the beginnings of sleep and REM cycle which usually happens an hour and half into sleep? Being that you were having trouble falling asleep it's possible. On the other hand maybe all you said is accurate and you did see something of the spirit world and not a wonder it freaked you out.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: