You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Little White House Near Warwick

Real Ghost Stories

The Little White House Near Warwick

 

This is the first story of my own I've posted, so I am excited to hear what others have to say about it! I have read several stories on this website, and have made a note that far too often important details are omitted or altogether skipped from the stories. That or the use of slang and poor grammar is so prevalent that I can't understand what the story is about! I've been writing this down while I've been waiting for the option to post stories to become available again, so I've had the time to remember important, as well as seemingly unimportant details. I've done my best to be as descriptive as possible, and I hope this helps.

I was very fortunate when I was young to be able to travel to places my friends only heard about. I've kept that love of traveling my entire life, thanks to my parents. My mother had been raised in England, so it should come as no surprise that we would travel there often on vacation.

One particular summer, when I was 14, I had spent July and August in England with my family. My parents rented a house for us in a small village, not far from the village of Warwick (forgive me, but I've forgotten the name). It was small and white-washed, with a large wooden door and a lovely English garden. Inside it was sparsely furnished, as is typical in many English homes, but was nevertheless cozy. My brother and I were given a room to share upstairs, on a landing shared by the master bedroom and the washroom. If you were to look out of the door from where my bed lay, you could see into both the master bedroom and the washroom at the same time, as the rooms were on a sort of axis, or pin wheel.

The house didn't strike me as anything more than a nice place to call home for the summer, so I had no expectations or fears about what I would encounter, if I had any expectations at all. Upon exploring the house it was clear that it was built in the mid to late 1800's, despite the addition of electricity and other modern amenities. There was one thing that made me feel uneasy, but I attributed it to nothing more than being a scared 14-year old girl; in the corner of the washroom there was a large white door. Behind it had been a sort of storage area at one time, and now housed the water heater. Water heaters aren't something I normally find frightening, but there was something about this little nook in the washroom that made me feel uneasy.

One night my brother decided he wanted to torment the cows and horses at one of the farms up the road. I was tired after a long day of sightseeing, and wasn't interested in doing much else than watching TV and going to bed extremely early. My parents decided to take him, leaving me alone in the house. I watched some British television, had a snack or two, and started wondering where my family had gone. By this time they had been gone for quite a while, and it was getting dark. I decided I was tired and would try and get some sleep. As I headed up the stairs I turned the light off in the kitchen, and then went to the washroom to get ready for bed. As I stood in front of the mirror washing my face, I could see that large white door looming behind me in my reflection. I did my best to act grown up, continued washing up and went to bed.

I had turned the light off in the washroom, the master bedroom and my room, but had left the small sconce on in the landing, in case I needed to use the washroom in the night. The sconce was a little dated, and had a pull cord instead of a switch to turn it off and on. I lay in bed, feeling tired but not sleepy, when I noticed that it was suddenly somewhat brighter in the house. I opened my eyes and saw a light coming from downstairs - the kitchen light was on. As you can guess, I just assumed my family had finally come back and that my mother was making a cup of her famously strong tea. But then there was no whistle of a tea pot, no spoon stirring in a china cup, nor the sounds of my parent's conversation. It was just the sound of my breathing, and the glow of the light on downstairs. I sat up slowly, listening for something, anything to suggest a familiar person was downstairs. When nothing came of it, I decided to be brave and investigate in person. I walked downstairs into the kitchen, and no one was there. I looked around the small house; the doors were all locked, the windows were closed... Nothing was amiss except the kitchen light was on. I promptly shut off the kitchen light and headed upstairs.

As I walked up the stairs, I noticed that it was now brighter on the second floor - the washroom light was on! Startled, I marched into the washroom, expecting to find my brother hiding somewhere, trying to scare me. Instead, I was met by an empty washroom and, to my horror, the large white door sitting wide open, leading into the small, dark room. I stood frozen, staring at the door and its black opening, when an overwhelming feeling of fear came over me. I ran to the door and slammed it shut as hard as I could, ran out of the bathroom while turning off the light, then dove straight into bed. I lay there breathing heavily, and after another 10 minutes I calmed down.

I started to doze lightly, when I heard...something, something that even now I can't quite describe. Whether it came from inside the house or out, I still don't know, but whatever it was I heard woke me straight away. I lay in bed, again listening for my family, and became aware of a feeling of dread, accompanied by the feeling of being watched. I rolled over a looked through the landing into the washroom... My mouth opened to scream but no sound came out. The large white door was wide open again. I jumped out of bed, turned on the light in the bathroom and slammed the large white door. I grabbed the ironing board and wedged it between to footed bathtub and the door to keep it closed, hoping to trap whatever was inside. I left the washroom without switching off the light, crossed the landing quickly and jumped into bed. As soon as my head it the pillow, things in that small, white-washed house got much, much worse.

The large white door in the bathroom rattled ever so slightly and the ironing board fell to the floor. As I looked out, the washroom light flickered like a candle, and then went out. The sconce in the landing followed suit, but instead of flickering, it went out with a click, as if someone had pulled the cord. Then, the light in my bedroom flickered and a voice, that sounded as if it was coming from inside my head, sobbed.

Tears started streaming down my face, as the sobbing in my head became louder, turning into a heartbreaking wail. I covered my ears with my hands and asked to be left alone. The voice continued to cry and moan, with the light in my bedroom flickering, until suddenly I heard a sound that I never thought I would be so happy to hear... My little brother's voice singing outside. It would seem that the voice had heard it as well, because the crying stopped, and the lights turned back on in the landing and washroom.

I ran downstairs into my mother's arms in hysterics. She consoled me and asked me what was wrong. I started to tell her what had happened, about the lights, the voice and that horrible white door, when I stopped. She wouldn't believe me. My mother loved me and is an amazing woman, but she wouldn't believe me. So I changed my story, telling her it was a nightmare. She stroked my hair, saying everything was fine and that I was safe now that they were back. My younger brother laughed, calling me a chicken, and started telling stories of how he scared the cows and chased fireflies into the night. I laughed too, trying to hide how scared I was, and how badly I wished I had gone with them. I slept lightly that night, still not able to shake the fear I was feeling, and had horrible nightmares of monster doors with teeth gobbling me up.

The next morning my mum wasn't feeling well, so my father, my brother and myself went sightseeing without her. We spent the day at Warwick Castle, and had dinner at a nice pub on the way home. We got back to the house at about 9:30 that night, and my mum was sitting outside in her night robe, looking pale and shaken. My dad told my brother and me to wait in the car, while my parents spoke. They argued, and then my dad, looking equally shaken by whatever it was my mother had said, ran into the house. My mum came to car and told my brother and me in her calm voice that we would be staying at a hotel that night and that daddy was just packing up our things. My brother whined, saying he had to pee and wanted to watch some TV, but my mum looked at me, and I knew why were leaving - my mum had seen something too. We quickly left the small white-washed house outside the village of Warwick, and never went back.

I hope I explained everything well, and that this wasn't too long! I'll be sure to post other experiences soon, and of course, any observations are more than welcome. Thanks!

Other hauntings by LaurenB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LaurenB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
My immediate impression was the spirit of an unhappy child attached or trapped there. Maybe the cubby was the child's safe place when unhappy or was used for punishment.
Whatever the case, it sounds like an unhappy soul who has not crossed over and is in need of prayer.
Very interesting story. You must have been very frightened as a fourteen year old alone in the house. Thankfully your mother also witnessed it and understands whether you speak of it or not.
Blessings
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-20)
Thanks for sharing this one. It was a very scary and well written account. I look forward to reading any more stories you might toss our way and wonder what was in that dark room that caused so much fear.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-17)
Well written! I enjoyed your story immensely! This one is going into my favorites! I am glad to read that at least someone experienced the same thing, or something similar to what you had!
I hope to read more tales from you! 😁 ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
I have to say that this was an amzing story. I loved the way you wrote it! I have to say your story is going into my favourites! I just loved. Cant wait to read your other stories. I hope to here from you soon and take care
gemzyd1988 (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
wow that is a fantastic story, I'm glad that your mum had the same sort of experiance maybe you should get her to write down what happened to her, there might have been a couple of extra bits that you didn't experiance your self.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Thanks for getting back to me with those details, LaurenB. A raised door sill, unfinished floor, windowless, no heat source, no electrical wiring--it all seems charateristic of an original storage space and not one carved out during recent renovations. Sometimes live in domestic help were housed in some dreadful spaces although this really does sound like storage. Initially I wondered if the space was large enough to have been a small room for a servant. Purely speculative, but I can esily imagine a servant keeping her door ajar in order to hear the children or if she was called during the night.
cokey (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
that was very detailed and we, readers, appreciate that... Anyway, have your mom by any chance tell you what she saw that night? Looking forward to more of your stories laurenB.
LaurenB (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Thank you all for your very kind words - they are greatly appreciated!

Kecoughtan; While the door was definitely not something I spent a lot of time with, I can give a fairly accurate account to its size. The bottom of the door frame sat approximately 2 1/2 inches from the ground, so there was a "lip" in the doorway. Other than the fact that the door was slightly elevated off of the floor, it was typical in size and shape. Based on the shape of the storage space, I would say that while the door may have been new, the storage space would have been an original feature in the house.

The storage space itself was in a back corner of the room, on the right hand side if you were looking in from the hall. It was about 4'x4'x7' - large enough for three people to stand in comfortably. There was no light in the storage space, and the floors were unfinished, showing just bare wood underneath that look extremely old. Other than that, the room itself was unremarkable.

Thank you again!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Welcome to the site and thanks for such a well written story! Not only that, it was a terrifying read. If you have anything else, please post them since I for one would be very interested in reading them.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Thank you for that detailed and well-written account, LaurenB. Like all good stories it leaves the reader wanting more. Maybe someday your mother will want to discuss her experience and you can update us. I know you probably didn't spend a lot of time gazing in, but can you provide any more details about the size and shape of the storage space? Was the large white door larger than other doors in the house? Do you feel the door was probably a historic feature of the house or--like the waterheater--more of a recent addition? Thanks.
LaurenB (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Thank you everyone for your comments so far! I didn't realize the story was up already!

My mum and I have never really talked about it; my mother is very spiritual, but also very private - she thinks things of this nature are best left alone, and kept to oneself.

As far as knowing anything about the house, I'm afraid not. I was so young at the time, I had nothing to do with picking the place, and my parents can't (or won't) remember where it was. It was a very old house, and it's true that the wiring could have been faulty or outdated. The house I live in at the moment is 122 years old, so believe me, I know all about faulty electrical and plumbing!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
That must have been a terrifying experience LaurenB for both you and your mom!

Certain houses seem to have a lot of history in them and that history is sometimes what keeps the energy active no matter how distant the past.

I felt as if I was vicariously experiencing your encounter-as if I was in that room with you that night!

I wonder who was trapped behind in that house and, more importantly, what they were lamenting for-I don't suppose you ever found out.

Did you ever discuss this any further with your mother?

Thank you
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Thank you for sharing your story. You're sure that there were no problems with the wiring of the house? Since it was old, it's possible that the wiring was just strange. I can also imagine the door rattling and even opening because of the water heater. Those things can be noisy as heck and cause some serious vibrations if they're old.

If it was spiritual, it seems like a poltergeist and a bit of residual haunting, but nothing serious. I think a lot of it was just because you were scared.

Blessings,
DA
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
That must have been awful for you. I know how it is to be creeped out by a place, and what you've described would have sent me into hysteria.

Did you ever go back and/or find out anything about the house?
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Thanks for sharing, only one question, did your mom ever tell you what did she saw in that house?,
Claudia
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Thanks for sharing.

Did you know anything about the house before staying there? The History of it?

Did your mother ever share what she may have seen/heard?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: