You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Abandoned Street - Search For Answers?

Real Ghost Stories

Abandoned Street - Search For Answers?

 

Date: August 12th, 2006

Location: Newburg Maryland

People: Clarke (me), Craig, Luther, Jerry

Time: Between the early hours of 5 am to the late hours of 8 pm for the main story.

Occurrences: Unexplainable. Many questions from this story have not been explained in any other way aside from the paranormal.

Disclaimer: All happenings in this story are real, albeit unexplained, there were 4 witnesses at all times during all events.

'POSTED - No trespassing!' the thin yellow sign you always see pasted to trees with staples, usually for hunting purposes, and sometimes used for private property borders, always such an unfriendly invitation to my curiosity. The forests along the road are plastered with these little yellow signs. The trees are on higher grounds, while the road is downhill. That is to say, if you are on the road, the trees are up the hill, and lined side by side, forming a natural fence with these little yellow squares on them. If you were smart, you'd stay away, but if you were a genius, you'd know it's telling you to pop in. Being the incredibly intelligent man I am, I gathered a few friends to go back there with me, not knowing what we'd find, and not knowing what could possibly happen.

We scheduled to go out at about 5 am, and go into the woods, the nightfall not lifting until around 7 am. We did as planned, not at all concerned by the cold morning air, we ventured off into the woods, past the yellow signs we went, leading to the top where there was a manhole. There were 3 paths going into 3 different directions, each part lined with a thick layer of concrete, the road that had used to be there gone. We started by taking the middle path, going back to find a long concrete-sided road, the soft and moist ground below us making little noise as we ventured on.

At around 6 am, we began to feel a bit unwanted. At first we thought it was because we weren't supposed to be trespassing the area, however, over time, this sense grew a bit overwhelming. After a few hours of walking, we found another manhole, realizing we had come back to the first manhole (the sun finally came up), we went down the left path, all four of us feeling as if we were being watched by something.

11 am (around then) we ended up reaching a point where trees had fallen everywhere, making it hard for us to continue on, the wind began to pick up at an extreme rate, and one of our group members (who happened to be black) thought this was a bad sign. We came to an agreement and decided to ignore it. At around 2 pm, we reached a big stream that had eaten away at the path. We searched around trying to find the other side for a half hour and after finding it, continued on.

This is the part that really makes this story a ghost story... We began hearing footsteps behind us while we walked, and we knew it was none of us because it would go on a bit even after all four of us had stopped. At one point, we broke into a run, stopping after finding an abandoned neighborhood. It was as if it were the result of a town that had been the victim of a bombing. There were roads just like the ones we had trekked on the way there, there were fire hydrants, manholes, broken down cars, housing structures, appliances in the areas where the houses were, and lots of other things still there.

It was as if an entire neighborhood had just vanished. We stayed in that particular area for about 3 hours just searching the area. The only reason we left was because SOMETHING began to make strange noises. At first, you'd think that noises are just branches falling from trees, or animals in the forest just foraging for food. Many reasons run through your head in those situations. Me and my friends named these thoughts; comforting suggestions. Listening, it had sounded as if someone was walking through the woods behind us, but when you hear glass breaking as if someone had thrown a beer bottle on the ground, you KNOW something is up.

We ran in the opposite direction we had come, ultimately leading us into a long run through random paths through the forest. Eventually we took a break, and it got dark. Thankfully we found the road shortly after nightfall, and began walking back home. That's when the noises started getting more and more paranormal.

We heard the glass breaking noise 3 more times, a noise that sounded as if someone had climbed a tree and fell onto the road, turning around to find no one there, a noise that sounded like a sort of shriek, and finally a sound that we eventually agreed sounded like a monkey. Trust me, when you live in Maryland and something makes a dammed monkey sounding noise, you'll get your behind out of there. We ran our behinds back to my house after hearing that, and I don't think any of us have run that fast in our lives before. To this day, we've gone back through 4 times, but we have not been back for about 8 months.

If you would like photos, sound recordings, or would like to ask any questions, please feel free to ask/request them. With enough support, I will be glad to relive the hell that forest is to collect sound recordings and images. Please note that all names used are NOT the original peoples' names. They are false names given for privacy purposes.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, C, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

nschively (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-29)
Google links got a little weird:
Https://www.google.com/maps/ [at] 38.384513,-76.9707155,502m/data=!3m1!1e3

See if that works
nschively (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
A little up the warren of "unnamed roads" back in the woods:
Https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=Newburg+Maryland&data=!1m6!1m3!1d410!2d-76.9706848!3d38.3839436!2m1!2f39.53!2m1!1e3!4m10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d74511!2d-76.9533055!3d38.3773473!3m2!1i1600!2i785!4f35&fid=7

What's interesting are the kind of brown/light green patches in the fields and woods around this area. Like there were foundations that had been dug up... Strange...
fromnormaltoparanormal20602 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
Does anybody know where this place is at please contact me and let me know
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-22)
Wow, what an intriguing story! And all the more intriguing because there was sort of a "to be continued..." and then I checked, and this is C's only story and posts ever so far. I wonder what ever happened? Maybe the gov't got a hold of them. Lol, I guess that's not funny. But I have to admit this has been one of the most intriguing stories on here so far, and the added mystery to what happened when they went back makes it even more so! At best, I hope all was okay and the lack of reponses from C is only because nothing really happened or the mystery was solved- they found a colony of homeless people!
alonelover (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-09)
Hi,
sure an adventurous expedition. I would like to see the photos and sounds that you recorded. Could you please send some those. My email id is appu.madhu.45 [at] gmail.com
Divine4 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
I would like pics to! You can email at didi_bell09 [at] yahoo.com ❤ pls
Morpheus55 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
I found your story interesting I would like to investigate the place your talking about but I have to attend school and I live in Texas, and can you send me some picture or recordings e-mail me at andresmendozar69 [at] yahoo.com
lost_one21 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
I'd like some pictures and audio clips if you've got them I'm very interested in this street email me at Lost_one18 (a) hotmail.com
Hope to hear form you soon
Grolarg (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-29)
i would love to hear more about this if you get some good pics send them to me at tehawsomepwner [at] yahoo.com and also if you can find this on google earth or tell me where to find it on google earth I would appreciate it.
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
It been a long time since the last post from C has anyone seen any other postings from him. This was one of the most intriguing stories I have read. I would love an update.
Zukismom
Dio (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
C went back to that place, and never returned...😨

That, or he came back with nothing to show.

It's one or the other. Hopefully he's okay.
GhostWatcher101 (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
I would like to see more. If you don't mind. Contact me at Bluedragon1445 [at] yahoo.com
GhostGirl15 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
I'd love to see photos of this place.I'd be glad to give you my e-mail for the photos.
UnknownKarmic (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
I'm with greenpondmike... What happened? You got me bait, line and sinker... Still waiting for the update.

I hope all went well & that your not in some jail somewhere for trespassing...

UnknownKarmic
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
Anybody home?I've been watching this story and there's no new updates, comments or part 2.What happened?
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-20)
Hey C,could you be more spicific about the spot because I used microsoft virtual earth to zoom in on the area including cliffton road (cliffton woods?) and I can't find anything. I hope that everything works out for you the next visit and I'm also very interested in this story. I would also like to know what you find out about the place.Mystery/abandoned/haunted places are the most interesting of all to me. As far as what was following you it sounded like a bigfoot to me because they can give you that uneasy filling when they are around and make you feel like you should just leave.There's probably a family of them out there and the place might not be haunted by the paranormal at all.That's just my opinion and you know opinions are like cell phones-everybody's got one, maybe even bigfoot has one nowadays. Good luck!
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
I have to say this is one of the most intriguing stories I have read for awhile. I don't check back on to many of my comment posts, but I am so excited to hear what happens on your hunt this weekend. My friends and I who are at work in the ER on midnights are curious to your findings so I will be checking in. SO BE SAFE (thats from the mom and nurse in me). Run fast if neccessary & don't look back. Be careful of angry or demonics spirits. We deal with the extreme crazys every night so that kind of adventure is right up our alley (we are so jealous right now). GOD BLESS EVERYONE IN YOUR PARTY FROM ALL OF US IN THE E.R. BE BRAVE AND GET EVIDENCE.
Zukismom 😁
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
one of our group members (who happened to be black)
Uhh, just wondering about that comment? ^^'

I would LOVE to see pictures:o it would be great if you could put them up ^^
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
Hey! That is something I think that a lot of would have loved to stumble on. I know I would. I'm sitting here at my computer wishing that I could go on that search with you. 😊

I'm a mom too so here's my two cents! Take a first aid kit, just in case. You never know. Are you taking a digital recorder? Are you going at night? Keep us posted!

Good luck and be safe!
Raingrl01 ❤
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
correction on my forst line, it's suppose to say "exact location" (not lotion) :)
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
That GPS will come in handy. Maybe now you can find out the exact lotion of this "Ghost Town"...I wish I was there to come along in the search.

About the guy that stopped you a while ago. It's either A) He asked because of the "No Trespassing" sign and since you guys were doing exactly that, lol
Or B) He knew what happened in that town and why it was abandoned like that... You should've asked him if he knew anything. Did you?...As far as the barrels he had in his truck, who knows...

I too want to see and hear what new info and evidence you come back with this weekend. My e-mail is bnaredr3 [at] yahoo.com.

On a more serious note, be careful not only of any ghostly encounters but human ones too. I'm sure you're not the only ones lurking around that abandoned town, a lot of homeless and crazy people out there.

Good luch with the search and keep us posted
Karima
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
hello, need to ask you somthing. Send me an e-mail with your answer. Dragongod101 [at] hotmail.com. Ok well here it goes. When you went there, did the tempeture change or a weird feeling became to befall on you and your friends at a certin point? This Is somthing I need to know also, if the answer to my first question is a yes, then where is it? This may be a spirteral portol. This is really inportnant.
C (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
I noticed a lot of worried mothers here, that's a good sign to me. I'm letting a few people know what I'm doing, so if anything happens, they'll know where I went. Also taking a GPS tracking device along because I haven't had a reason to use it until now. Hoping everything goes well, I'll take as many pics as I can.

This also brings me to another happening a few months ago. It wasn't that particular section of the woods, but me and two friends went down into this little creek that lead into the forest, we only went in for a few minutes, and came right out onto the road. A man in a truck (it had some barrels of what looked to be tall propane tanks in the back) stopped by us and asked us why we were back there. Don't know if that means much, but it's still a bit creepy.

Thanks for the comments, everybody, If nothing bad happens, I'll bring back some nice photos.
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
Ever watch the movie Silent Hill? You should before going back to any town taped off and lost back in the woods. Just food for thought.
Take care
Zukismom
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
OK, a quick look at a map ruled out anything near APG, since you're about 106 miles away, but that still doesn't mean that you're in the clear.

The fact that the land's been posted screams at me that something is definitely VERY WRONG there.

I also seriously doubt that I or any other individual can dissuade you from your course of action, so I won't even try.

Just be very, very careful, and please let all of us on the site know when you get back and what, if anything, transpired.

I can't help acting like a mother 😆, because I am one, so PLEASE take care, and don't let bravado keep you in that area if you feel any discomfort at all, be it physical, mental, or emotional.

Good luck and God be with you.

Love, Peace, and Joy!
reneespring (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
It could be radioactive in there, ever think of that? I know that once a nearby park in my area was fenced off due to radiation buried in the ground.
princess2 (16 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
That sounds really neat. I think I would go back to see what I could come up with. Best be careful, never know what might be lurking around.
boobyhobbs (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
i would love to see photos of this area... I could give you my email if you needed it
UnknownKarmic (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Hey C... Nice story...

Have you tried to locate this "abandoned burb" on Google Earth? It might be interesting to see the extent of the development... I personally would dig to check it out, there's just the matter of the 3000 miles separating us...

Can't wait to hear what you come up with...

God Bless

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: