You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Typical Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Typical Haunting

 

As you can tell by my username I am not really a believer in the paranormal. I've always believed there is a logical explanation for everything. I'm a skeptic through and through. The story that I'm about to tell happened to a colleague at work who is also not a believer. It was interesting enough that, even though I still have my doubts, I feel compelled to share on his behalf because he wouldn't.

As the title says the things that happened and the whole experience he described as cliché. Very typical Hollywood-movie-haunting type stuff. But it all really happened so he's not sure what to think.

It started a couple of months ago. He lives in a new apartment complex. It's just him and his wife, no kids, no pets. The first incident was a pull chain lamp that would turn itself on and off randomly. He'd be sitting there watching TV; he'd hear a click and the light would go off. When he pulled the chain the light would come back on. A little freaky, but no big deal really.

The second incident involved a laundry room door that they keep shut. They would come home or wake up in the middle of the night to find the door open again, not a big deal. Could be easily explained away.

The incidents get a little more unexplainable...

He has a model ship sitting on a bookcase in the living room. He woke up in the middle of the night, he's not sure why, and got out of bed to check things out. He walked through the living room to the kitchen and the door to the back porch was open (They live on the third floor). He closed the door and walked back through the living room. There he noticed the model ship sitting upright in the middle of the living room floor with some coasters that were sitting on the end table stacked neatly beside it. He knew neither he nor his wife had put them there. That's a little freaky.

These types of things kept happening over the next few weeks. An electric teakettle that would turn on by itself in the kitchen.

On Friday of last week (10/23/2009) they came home to find all of the drawers of their dresser in their bedroom pulled out. The drawers and doors on the TV armoire pulled out and opened. They knew they had not left it like that and there was no indication that anyone had broken in or entered the apartment. So, he began thinking about what had changed or what he had brought into the house over the last couple of months that may be linked to this apparent paranormal activity... And this is what made the skeptic in me even scratch my head and wonder...

His ex-wife and he have a storage room that they have been gradually cleaning out over the past couple of years. He had mistakenly brought home a box that contained his ex-wife's and her former husband's wedding rings. The former husband had been murdered a few years before my co-worker and this woman had married. He concluded that the activity was connected to dead husband's wedding ring. He took the box back to the storage room Saturday morning. There were no incidences Saturday or Sunday.

Even I find this extremely interesting.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nonbeliever, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-02)
Pjod,
I did not mean to imply by my "random" comment, that the ring was not related; but that the actions were random in nature. Only the widow would know if any of the activity in any way related to the ex-husband; and we were not provided with that info.
From the sounds of things, whatever was already in the home that was somehow awakened is still trying to make contact... Maybe it is the ghost of your common sense.

Lou
KimCan (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-30)
Since removing the ring didn't work, has your colleague looked into other things he can do to stop the activity? The sooner, the better, in my opinion. 😳 In my experience activity that appears mischievous at first can turn malicious in time.
nonbeliever (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-29)
An Update.

My collegue does not believe the ghost has left. Last night he watched as the comforter on his bed was "pulled" off and fell to the floor. Either the ghost was not connected to the rings or has shifted its focus.

And, while I am a skeptic I would consider myself open minded. I question things based on word and seek to verify them. If I experienced these things myself my skepticism would be much more tempered. It being told to me by someone I trust to be a truthful person at least has me curious.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
Interesting stuff here... I hope this makes you at least a luke warm believer.
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
wonder what part the ex-wife/widow had in the murder... Is she a blackwidow 😉

And what part the ex-wife had with the spirit world. It might be some other spirit that considers the ex-wife to belong to it.
nonbeliever (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
5 days without incident. He described the activities happening "at least once a week". If the weekend comes and goes with still no activity I think it would be safe to assume that whatever was going on was indeed connected to the ring, and by extension the dead husband. I tried to get more detailed information about the husband and about the things that were happening, but his ex-wife and he are not really on good terms and he was not very forthcoming with some details that I think would help, perhaps, give some clues as to what this ghost or spirit was after.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
well, Lou. If this activity started right after the ring was brought into the apartment, with no activity before, common sense says it has to be related. Throw a mudered husband in there, and one has to conclude that the guy wanted that ring returned to his wife. Not sure why spirits would be concerned about such things... But I suppose it's only a matter of time before we all find out.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
hmm.
If it is the murdered husband, could he want his wife to have that ring? Sounds like this spirit was looking for something, or wanted it to appear as something was being looked for. I guess only time will tell- if the activity stops, then your co-worker solved that puzzle.
It is amusing though, that some skeptics, even when confronted with the paranormal, choose to remain skeptic. I suppose it keeps the rest of us honest. With so many different stories out there, some so very similiar-- an intelligent person has to admit that something is happening out there, that isn't the norm.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
NB,
Very interesting. Spirits will attach themselves to objects they were attached to in life. Stay skeptic, but realize there is more to life than we can explain. I do not know the details of the murder, but I presume he was wearing the ring when he died?
The actions described certainly don't seem malicious, more mischievous. Usually a forlorned spirit will try to deliver a message... I almost think that what entered their home was not the ex-husband...unless the objects that were moved had some relevance to him, I do not see any attempt to make contact with his widow... Rather random.

Lou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: