You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Wolfe Island Romance

Real Ghost Stories

Wolfe Island Romance

 

In the summer of 1983, when I was 23 years old, myself and four of my friends sailed to Wolfe Island to spend the weekend. We landed on the island in the late afternoon and quickly set up our tents and began meal preparations After dinner we set a fire and sat around telling stories until late in the night. Hazel, one of the members of our group was from Yorkshire and had been in Canada for only a couple of weeks. She was a pixie like girl who marveled at the Canadian landscape and was taken by our wild life, in particular, fireflies (she had never seen them before and when she saw them she thought they were faeries). After having a few after dinner cocktails and listening to Hazel recite 'The Jabberwock' we decided to turn in. My boyfriend and I decided that because it was such a clear night with no mosquitoes, we would forgo our tent and sleep under the stars. Everyone went to the respective beds.

Everyone woke with the sun and as Hazel came out from her tent she asked my boyfriend and I if we had managed OK during the thunder storm. My boyfriend and I had spent the whole night outside, there had been no thunderstorm. Hazel was adamant, she said that she had awakened in the middle of the night to the sound of the thunder and the rain on the tent and that she could hear people outside the tent. She said that she looked out the tent and through the rain she could see a couple holding hands and walking the path by our camp site. We assured her that we had been outside the whole night and that there had been no storm. The group of us passed off Hazel's experience as a vivid dream and left it that.

Several years later, one of the members of our camping trip contacted me. He was flabbergasted as he had read an article in the local paper about area Ghosts and there was an account of the tragic couple whose boat capsized during a thunderstorm, while they were going to the island from Fort Henry and both had drowned.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, maggie-b, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

djeter2 (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
[at] reneespring: It makes perfect sense the posters friend Hazel experienced something happening outside her tent:thunderstorm and a couple holding hands. Nobody else experienced that but her so they blew it off as a dream until several years later when someone in that same group validated Hazel story somewhat by hearing about couple had drowned near that same area during a bad thunderstorm. If it's residual haunt it doesn't have to happen the exact same time every year it can happen at anytime. It's not a very complicated ghost story.Sorry
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
Aww, that's so sad. Poor couple is probably still there. It's kind of cool that you've at least validated your friend's experience though.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
I just reread "The Jabberwocky" to see if it held any more relevance now than it did when I was forceably made to read it in junior high. Nope. I can't fathom the reason for a person to memorize that but I could understand someone seeing things after imprinting it upon their brain. And no, I would never compare it to the Odyssey or Beowulf.
KittyKatPop (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-13)
reneespring:
I think that it is connected to their experience since hazel actually saw the couple...thunderstorm...same place...
More like hazel saw the whole action?
Im not sure
A bit confused too...
But it has something to do with hazel seeing them
Oracle101 (10 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
A beautiful yet sad ghost story. Thank you for posting it.

I am curious to know that answer as well; did the ghost couple die before or after your camping trip?

Oracle101
reneespring (148 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2009-12-12)
you say: Several years later, one of the members of our camping trip contacted me. He was flabbergasted as he had read an article in the local paper about area Ghosts and there was an account of the tragic couple whose boat capsized during a thunderstorm, while they were going to the island from Fort Henry and both had drowned.

My question is, how is this connected to your experience? DId you get an exact date of the storm, and did it happen the exact night you slept under the stars? Your story makes no sense, sorry.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Wow that's a great story. Wonder you and your boyfriend didn't witness the event since the both of you's were outside. 😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: