You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mobile Home Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Mobile Home Ghost

 

My adult son and I have rented my brother's girlfriend's mobile home for almost 8 years now. The things I will describe have happened over the course of these 8 years. I have tried to put them in the order in which they have happened. I've tried to give as much detail as possible without intentionally boring the reader. These incidents seem to occur in one area of the house, and have happened to everyone living here, but to no one who has visited.

The first time I noticed anything was when I occupied the master bedroom (before I changed rooms with my son). I would hear very faint conversations, but could never hear specific words, but it was noticeable enough to wake me up during the night. At first, I never really thought much of it because I thought I might be hearing sounds from outside, or that my brain was trying to make sense of background noises. I exchanged rooms with my son a couple of years ago (not because of the voices, but for convenience). When he moved into the room, he started to hear the same 'conversations'. He stays up late on his computer and he said that he has heard people talking on several different occasions. There is an alley behind our home (sort of an access road over a drainage culvert) and there are other mobile homes on the other side of the alley, which is all part of the mobile home park we live in. When he first heard the voices it was 2:00 A.M., The voices were loud enough to cause him to investigate, so he went outside into the back yard and into the front yard to see if he could find anyone. He thought it was sort of strange, but never really connected it to anything, but when he mentioned it to me, we both shared that we had had the same experience when in that room.

We have also had items come up missing. I had an entire set of 4 drinking glasses disappear at one time. My son is an adult (38 years old) so he would not have taken them into his room and left them there as a teenager might do. We even searched the house and couldn't find them anywhere. I never take dishes into other rooms except the living room where they would have been in plain sight if they had been in there. A couple of weeks later, my son was emptying the dishwasher, putting away the clean dishes, and there were all four glasses in the dishwasher! I was the one that had loaded the dirty dishes into the dishwasher and turned it on, yet strangely those missing glasses were in there when my son emptied the dishwasher!

We also had our mailbox key disappear last Christmas (2009). We searched the entire house, and then one evening, my son was walking into the house through the front door after saying goodbye to a friend outside. The Christmas tree was next to the front door and my son turned and looked down at the tree (he said he didn't know why, but he felt the urge to look). I was sitting there the entire time - from the time he walked out the door with his friend, while he was outside, and when he came back inside. When he saw the key, he didn't immediately tell me. He just walked to the other side of the room and said, "Go look at the tree", then pointed to where I should look, and there was the mailbox key sitting lightly on top of one of the branches! It wasn't sunken into the branch, nor was the key ring hooked on the branch in any way. It was just lying there on the very top of the branch. The key had been missing for a couple of weeks, and we had ordered a new key and had just received the new key the day before. During those two weeks, I had been around the tree when cleaning and vacuuming. Even straightening the decorations on the tree (fixing ribbons that had been knocked off when we brushed against it when entering the room, or when the cat had been playing with the ribbon and pulled it off of the lower branches - which is where we found the key). Yet, never saw the key, which was in plain sight on the branch when we found it? When searching for the key, we had even thought perhaps one of us had dropped it when walking in the door, so we had searched all around the tree.

On another occasion, I was sitting at my computer in the living room and my son came out of his room. He looked absolutely pale and scared. He asked me to come into his room and walk back and forth in the bathroom because he wanted to see how it cast a shadow. He wouldn't tell me why. Then he said he had been lying on his bed watching TV and a shadow passed in front of the bed. He said it even cut out the power light on the computer tower (i.e., he couldn't see the light when the shadow passed in front of it). This is the power light I'm talking about, not the light on the drive that blinks off and on. It's the power light that stays on continuously when the computer is on. We tried to recreate what he had seen, but couldn't cast a shadow that looked the same as what he had seen.

Another time, my dog (she has since passed away), was sitting quietly in the living room and all of a sudden she stood up and started barking and looking at something in the kitchen (in front of my son's bedroom door - the master bedroom is off the kitchen at the back of the house). She continued to bark as if something was there, but she was afraid to approach because she couldn't recognize what she was looking at. If you have a dog, you know the difference between a dog barking at something they actually see and something they think they see or hear - if they're not sure of what they are looking at, they usually won't get too close, but stand back and bark loudly. I turned to look at what she was barking at, but I couldn't see anything. She never barked at the cat, and the cat was not there. Then she started running around the kitchen and living room, while looking up at the ceiling as if she was looking for something, all the while kind of woofing and barking. She had never acted like that before or after and we had her for 8 years. When my son came out of his bedroom, I told him what she had been doing. Later that evening, my son and I were sitting in the living room watching TV and my cat stood up on the back of the couch and was looking toward the same area in the kitchen watching something very intently. She even got up and jumped off of the couch and onto the dining room table and kept looking at that area, then turned her head up toward the ceiling looking at something. My son got his camera and took a couple of photos of the area, and in one of the photos there is an orb.

Now it gets really creepy. My son's son (my grandson) is 7 years old. A couple of months ago, he was sitting in the living room and he and I were talking. He was sitting on his little wooden chair in front of the TV, in the middle of the room. The kitchen was to his back. He turned around to talk to me (I was sitting to his right on the recliner). The back of his chair was facing the kitchen area, and as he turned in the chair, the kitchen was then to his right. His Dad was in his bedroom with the door open and sitting at his computer in the corner, so we couldn't see him on the other side of the wall. My grandson must have seen some movement out of the corner of his eye while talking to me, and he turned around to look toward his dad's bedroom door. He kind of kept squinting and trying to focus on something, when he said, "Grandma, why is daddy just standing there?" I didn't think much of it and just said, "I don't know", and I turned to look, but couldn't see anything because I was at an angle where I couldn't see into the bedroom. My grandson kept trying to focus on what he was seeing, as if he couldn't quite make out what he was looking at. He kept saying, "Daddy is just standing there." Finally, I got up and went into my sons' room and asked him if he had just been standing in his room in front of his door a couple of minutes ago. He said he had been sitting at his computer the entire time and had never gotten up.

We started asking my grandson if he could see a face, and he said it was just dark (no features), but it looked like a man's figure so he thought it was his dad. My son then had my grandson sit in the chair he had been sitting in when he saw the figure, and my son then stood in the room where my grandson saw the figure standing. My son had to move around the room until he was in the exact spot that my grandson saw the figure. He was sort of half way blocked off by the door frame, and on the side near to where my son's computer desk is. When he was in the exact spot, my grandson said, "Just like that!" My grandson also said that while he was looking at the shadow figure, it stayed there for a while, and then suddenly moved out of site behind the wall toward where my son's computer desk is. There is a mirror the entire length of the master bathroom, which you can see when looking through into the bedroom from the living room and kitchen, but my grandson was sitting on a little chair and part of the couch was blocking the lower part of his view, so he wouldn't have been able to see his reflection in the mirror because he was too low to see it. We even tested this by crouching on the floor so our heads were at the same level as his when sitting in the chair. Also, my son then remembered that he kind of felt a chill at the back of his neck while he had been sitting at his computer desk.

Most recently - about two nights ago, I was lying in bed sleeping. I woke up because I felt cold and my left shoulder was ice cold. I just thought my room was really cold, and my shoulder wasn't covered by the blanket. While lying there for about 30 seconds, just before I was about to turn on my side and pull the blanket up over my shoulder, I suddenly felt something brush across my shoulder. It was a very distinct touch, and felt like a finger or two fingers, firm but not too firm of a touch. It wasn't my cat or dog (I have another dog now), because they were both sleeping on the other side of me - the dog near the bottom of the bed. I just rolled over and covered up with my quilt and said, "Stop touching me", and I fell back to sleep.

The next morning, my son came out of his room and asked me if I would look at his forehead. There were three distinct red marks on the left side of his forehead that looked like finger marks. The marks looked a bit like a rash, but in the shape of three fingers. He said he had taken a shower, and was standing in front of the mirror shaving and he felt a sudden stinging sensation on that area, and when he looked, he saw the marks. He had not bumped his head, nor was shaving anywhere near that part of his head, nor had he scratched himself there, or applied any shaving cream or aftershave, etc. He said it just started stinging. My son does not have sensitive skin, nor is he allergic to anything. I then told him about the cold touch I felt on my shoulder the night before.

So, now it seems the spirit is getting bolder, but I'm not afraid because I think I know who it is. I have thought for a while it was the spirit of my brother's girlfriend's late husband who died of cancer. He loved to work around the house and fix or build things, so it would make sense that his spirit might stay in the house. I never met him because he passed away long before I moved to New Mexico. My brother's girlfriend's son also died, but he was an adult when he passed away (shortly after I moved to New Mexico), and he hadn't lived in the house for a long time, but it's also possible it could be both spirits. I knew her son and he was about my son's age and had a great sense of humour, so it might be like him to hide things from us... Like the drinking glasses, or the mailbox key.

As for the incidents being centred around one area of the house, I recently found out, when speaking to my brother, that his girlfriend's late husband was on oxygen before he died and he had rigged up his tank with a longer tube so he could walk around the master bedroom and into the kitchen without dragging the tank with him every time. So that might explain why all of the incidents seem to be centred in that area (in the bedroom and around, near, or in the kitchen in front of the bedroom door).

It's all very interesting and if any other things happen, I will post the them here.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, marley, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-25)
Yeah! Albuquerque! Yeah! It is a crazy place! But I like it! Go Burque! WOO! Sorry... Scary stuff you've got there. Good luck with your situation. I hope it gets better.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-05)
I live in Albuquerque and things like these happen all too often. I think it because I live in the war zone. So many horrible crimes happen just on my street all the time. A lot of murders. Plus all the Native blood all around. Just a crazy state all together. I'm ready to leave.

LSD
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-30)
marley - the voices that you can't understand. OMG they drive me nuts! For years, and I mean years, I heard women and children talking. The voices were loud enough that they seemed right outside my bedroom window, but even when I concentrated I couldn't make out what they were saying. It even seemed like the harder and deeper I concentrated, the less I could hear them.

Now I get sounds like a sporting event and a saloon 😆 Different, huh?

I really enjoyed your stories. Very well written and detailed. Do you keep a journal of these events? Especially since your grandson also sees things? It's my one piece of advice that I try to offer when someone has as many experiences as you and your family have. A journal is a great thing to keep. Even if you just write a line or two with the date and what happened.
marley (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-27)
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
Scooby: Thank you for your kind words - sometimes I wish I would see my dog's ghost too.
Shelby: I'll have to verify with my son, but I think he had been up for a while before he had showered, so I don't think he woke up with the red marks. As for orbs, I too am a bit skeptical of them, but won't rule them out completely. It was just odd that an orb showed up in the photo exactly in the spot where these hauntings seem to be centered, and at the moment when something seemed to be happening in that area.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Marley: Great account! 😊...I agree with Cosmo, you're doing a good job investigating...

The mailbox key?...Stuff like will drive a person crazy!...It's almost like whoever knew you looked there first, so decided to put it there as a joke...

Very cool, and very well written!...Thank you for posting and please do keep us updated... ❤
Lark (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Wow Marley! Your story was chilling, especially the part about your grandson. I can totally relate to the part about hearing people talking but being unable to understand what they are saying. I had a similar experience at my grandmother's home. I think it's wonderful that your pets notice the presence at least it confirms it's not your imagination!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
I think you are doing a really good job of investigating every possible cause and ruling out each scenerio before saying that it's paranormal. I would agree with you and think that it also could be the spirit of the man who passed away from cancer. It does seem to fit with what is going on and where it is happening. It doesn't sound like it wants to hurt or bother you or your family in any way. Probably just wants to make it's presence known. I am interested in any other incidents that occurr and look forward to reading about them. Thanks, and take care 😊 ❤
Scooby (20 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Great story, Marley! (So sorry about you losing your dog. 😢)
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
If you can, try a time lapse camera pointing to the active spot that goes off around the clock at given times, and maybe a voice activated recorder. Especially when one of your pets seem to detect something.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Hi marley. It's an interesting life living with spirits. Is it not? Do you start to feel stupid when you are constantly reinacting movements of something you thought you just saw just to try and rationalize it? Lol. Well, atleast you know you're not going crazy since others have seen and experienced the same things you have.
It does seem highly possible that your son's girlfriend's deceased husband could be the one still lingering around after death. As for the three red marks on your son's forehead, did your son wake up with them or did they just appear while he was in the bathroom. Sometimes you can scratch yourself or get scratched by something so lightly that you don't even notice it happened until you get water, soap, shampoo, etc. On it and it starts to burn. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case but it's something to think about. I don't put much into orbs because it's too hard to distinguish what is energy and what is just dust. It definitely sounds like you have something paranormal going on in your home. Thank you for sharing. Keep us updated on anything new that happens.

SHELBY 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: