You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Whispers As I Sleep

Real Ghost Stories

Whispers As I Sleep

 

My name is Meredith, I have lived at my current home for seven years, a small college apartment complex right across the street from the college. It's relatively new, with only a few proven ghosts; one being a suicide victim named Justin who killed himself in a dumpster twenty feet from my house. That happened only a year ago, so he isn't the solution to my problem.

Over the course of the years up until the present, almost every night, I hear these odd whispering sounds. All of them are normal human voices, whether male or female with no noticeable accent, and they all say completely random things. This happen right as I am falling asleep, and most sound too far away for me to hear exactly what they are saying, but after five minutes one of them speaks directly into my ear, saying something random. For example, last night, one adult male voice said exactly as I write, "ShhhreAKING!" Once I hear a voice in my ear, they all cease, and start again five to ten minutes later, when I am ready to fall asleep.

Usually this happens three or four times over the course of an hour until I actually fall asleep. I have never heard these voices during the day, even when I am about to fall asleep. They only speak during the day, and only when I am about to fall asleep.

I have told this to my mother after she had something similar to this; whenever she tries to fall asleep, right as she does, she hears a loud explosion and sees a blight flash of light. Three doctors have proven this not to be the result of a seizure, but some odd harmless disorder. I have not had this experience, and my mother has never heard the voices.

What the he** is going on?

Is it actually ghosts?

Many people have died in my apartment complex, but I do not know them personally. Being an atheist, I do not wish to try prayer, even if that might work against ghosts.

Please leave your theories and I'll do my best.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wormgod, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Skyline (1 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-14)
I woke up to a voice whispering in my ear "g o d" with a long tone. I look at the wall under the bed outside window no one was home its scary y do that? People are trying to sleep;oh and nope no Mormons or jahova witness wer at my door.
pegglefan (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
Hi Meredith
As stated before by shadow_witch,this appear to be related to a physical condition. And same happened to me.
I never related this experiences to a ghost or something. I am pretty sure that is something related to a sleep state that suffers some kind of people.
😕
In my case can say is kind of annoying but I turn on the tv with a minimum volume just enough to not heard the voices. A radio can work as well.
Nothing to worry about, maybe a little annoying but that's all. 😢
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-06)
Hi Meredith,

While I do believe in the paranormal, I believe this to be a physical condition.

I too, experience it to a certain extent.

I don't know what causes it, but I believe it to just be something strange that happens as our mind tries to shut down for the night.

As long as you aren't experiencing any kind of physical harm from it, I wouldn't worry about it. 😊

This comment from scary22 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Thirdeyenz (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-04)
Hi Meredith,

It sounds to me like you and your mother are more conscious than most whilst slipping into a hypnagogic state right before sleep. This state is perfectly normal, we all go through it however perhaps you and your mother linger in it, with different effects. As Cosmogirl said a symptom of it is called exploding head syndrome. Please read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia#Sounds in particular the sounds section and hopefully it will help you get some sort of understanding.

Actually re-reading your post I see your Mum's pretty much been diagnosed with it yes? I don't know of any cures but you could look into things that help you drift off faster like the herb Valerian.

I've experienced some of these symptoms whilst doing deep meditation and they can be alarming, especially the loud bangs, but it may all just be in our heads. Or not. Best of luck:-)
Ian
clo-clo (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
I personally think your should try talking to them lay out ground rules, seeing as they're not making physical contact or harming anyone, why not suggest "I'm cool with you being here as long as the voices stop?" or try letting them know you hear them and acknowledge they exist? Maybe that's all they're after?
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
I think something is trying to communicate with you for a reason.

What a strange concept, an athiest who thinks she has a ghost. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that prove of an afterlife?

Whatever, they are your beliefs. Just thought it was strange.

Wow.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
Hi Wormgod, I have heard of the medical condition your mother has been diagnosed with. It's called Exploding Head Syndrome where people complain of hearing explosions and seeing flashes of light to go with it. About the whispers, I think diana gave some good advice. Telling them to leave you alone can work. Lay down some ground rules by telling them that they will not be welcome anymore if they intend to hurt you or your family. Hope things work out for you, keep us posted. 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
Being an Atheist, perhaps something is trying to get your attention...?

This comment from Aya-Love-Carrots is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

diana_eldridge44 (9 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
Meredith, you should consider trying to ignore it. If it is scaring you, than just say "Stop trying to frighten me. I don't appriciate it." in a calmly voice. I have done that many times, and I actually thought that they did hear me. There is such a thing as ghosts, they're just people not living in a physicaly solid body.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: