You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The Night The Pope Died

Real Ghost Stories

The Night The Pope Died

 

I was working a graveyard shift that night, unfortunately I was working alone. By that time, the world had received news of the Pope's passing. I went outside for some fresh air, the sky was clear, I could even see stars. I turned in an NE direction and there in the sky, I saw a cloud in the shape of a cross. I looked everywhere else in the sky, there were no clouds except for that particular one shaped like a cross. The cross shape was so obvious, it was hard to not think that it could be one of those random cloud shapes. I even remember seeing a few stars twinkling right next to that cloud. I went inside because I was so scared, I came out a few more times the rest of the night, that cloud was there, it did not move at all, I did not see any other clouds the rest of the night except for that one. I do not remember exactly what direction it pointed to but I remember, I was facing a North Eastern direction when I saw it. It was not a thick cloud, but the night was bright and clear. I remember being so terrified to take a picture because it just seemed like something so holy, I was scared to do anything. By the time morning came, that cloud was gone, but it's something I will never forget as long as I live. I never did take a picture of it and have always wondered did anybody else see anything unusual that night too in the sky?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wraith, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-12)
Pope John Paul II died the morning of April 2, 2005.

I don't remember anything interesting happening that night, but I had a horrible panic attack while watching his successor being inaugurated. *shakes head*
musiclover10 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
❤ I think the clouds symbolises that a good pope died hi! Hi! ❤

Whoah! That cloud might be holy right?
Your story was nice!
I hope I will see that kind of cloud too! 😁
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
redphx - You're staging a completely different argument. No one ever said the cross was the ONLY way to represent your faith. Images of angels, stained glass art, music, prayer, meditation, fasting, etc--those have all been used for ages as representation of faith. Whereas I do believe you make a valid point in stating that the cross CAN potentially represent death/pain, Christian faiths teach that repeated use of the cross is to remind followers that Jesus sacrificed his life for his beliefs.

Also take into account the origins of the "cross" figure itself. It is one of the oldest and most commonly seen, natural formations in the world, so it's no mistake that the founders of Christianity chose it as an icon of representation. "It's everywhere", so to speak.

I'm not trying to argue your opinion if you feel the cross is an object that represents "murder", but it seems that your opinion is based off your inability to understand what it stands for and why people look to it as they do.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
redphx: Thank you for clearing that up 😊...No need to retract the original statement...
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
The fact that people from different aspects of life came together to mourn the passing of Pope John Paul II is something special in and of itself. People who weren't Catholic still mourned the passing of such a man. Do I believe in the stories and the hype? No. But, I respect the reason behind his influence and I can GREATLY respect the unity he brought. It's not about the belief or faith for everyone, it's the feeling of brotherhood that he brought.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
Thanks very much for this story, Wraith. As with many people, I too loved Pope John Paul II and was completely saddened to finally hear of his passing.

I do believe you (and probably many others) saw this cloud as a sign of his passing. Again, thanks for sharing this story... And thanks to all who do not believe or understand the Catholic faith for being so tolerant in these posts and not saying anything bad.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
If you take away the symbol of the cross does that mean we have no way to express our religion? Every time you look at the sky you can see images of heavan. Not just when planes cross eachothers path to make a cross symbol. My point is that just because "the church" decided to use the symbol to represent our savior doesn't mean it's right. I for one don't see any value in a cross. Jesus to me is more remembered for how he lived not what he was murdered on. Something to think about. I will not retract my statement but I will provide the summary behind it
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
redphx: Just because a religious symbol is meaningless for you, doesn't make it meaningless... I really hope you rethink that statement, and come back to rephrase your comment... 😐
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
Just wanted to add, redphx - whereas I don't necessarily agree with the Catholic religion myself, religious symbols in and of themselves are not meaningless. True, objects are just objects in terms of matter, but I think the idea is the symbolism that associates it to feelings of peace, protection, etc.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
Regardless of my religious views, I can appreciate your story and I do believe that this was a comfort meant for only you to see. I don't think you had anything to fear.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
I think you saw some clouds that were in the shape of a cross but you associated them with the pope passing away. It is good you find comfort in religous symobols that don't really mean anything
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
To darkcookie and Magnifishiat, here is a link that has a few explanations of what the purpose of the Pope is and his duties to the Catholic church. 😊 http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_purpose_of_the_Pope&alreadyAsked=1&rtitle=What_is_the_purpose_or_role_of_the_Pope
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
Beautiful story Wraith. If that cloud appeared on any other night, it probably would have been just a cloud. The fact that you said it was in the shape of a cross and never changed form the whole night would have made me think twice about it also. I would have taken that as a sign that God was taking one of his most closest and loyal followers home. Thank you for sharing this with us. 😊 ❤
Magnifishit (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
I have to ask the same question as darkcookie... I really really don't want to get into a big religious debate but in my opinion he is right. Doesn't the bible say that only God can forgive sins and should be called father and that the Holy Spirit is God's only representative?

More so about the story, it sounds neat. On many occasions, my family will look up the sky after a funeral and point out signs.
darkcookie (24 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-03-13)
please do not be angry with me but, what is the point of the pope? It seems to me like he is treated like a idol god or fake god.

Please forgive me if I offended you it has just been something I have always wondered.
shadowspirit (4 stories) (122 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-13)
hi, do you remember what the date was? Because it wasn't mentioned, I have seen some strange things in the sky, like clouds that look like writing (it wasn't plane writing, it was cloud vapoyr)
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-13)
hi nice story, I really believe you, some people have taken photos and seen Jesus in the clouds. What a nice story, I to liked the Pope and for sure he is Heaven... ❤ 😊 God Bless. Di
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-12)
Wraith,
Thanks for sharing this experience with us. I never saw the cloud but I do remember that day. And like Petersspirit, I also loved that Pope. What a profound sight that must have been! And yes, I'd say it was a sign of his grace and piety.
❤ 😊 ❤
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-12)
Hey Wraith,

Thank you for having shared this beautiful experience with us! To me it feels like something most profound which you witnessed. I always loved that pope...
Bless you,

Greetings,
Peter

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: