You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: It Wasn't Me

Real Ghost Stories

It Wasn't Me

 

I used to work as a Cinema Technician in a 12 auditorium multiplex cinema; I worked there for about ten years. Firstly, this story does not directly involve me; however the people involved are credible and are not the type to spin fantastic yarns for no reason.

This story takes place a few years ago, as part of my job, I assemble movies by joining the reels together, once assembled, I view these films to make sure that all the joins (splices) are ok and the soundtrack and picture are all up to scratch (and I like to watch films for free). The film I was checking was Monsters Inc., a Pixar film; a projectionist was sat in the auditorium with me. After the film finished, the projectionist left and I returned to the projection booth to wait for the bulb to cool down before turning off the projector. The only people left in the building were the General Manager and a supervisor, at night they total up the days takings and count the stock; they spend the final few hours in an office next to the entrance to the Projection Booth.

The time was roughly midnight, I got on my pushbike which I leave always at the foot of the stairs on the employee entrance side of the cinema, I cycled home, and that is where this story ends for me.

The following evening I came in for my evening shift which starts at 5. No sooner was I through the door, the supervisor came running over, all excited, at this point I will point out that this supervisor has barely said a word to me since she started working there, so this was quite unusual. She asked me where I disappeared to last night, I explained that I left about midnight and I cycled home, nothing unusual about that, she disagreed with me about how I left. She went on to explain, about 1am they had finished their shifts, they had no way of knowing who was left in the building, so they put out a page asking anyone left in the building to call the upstairs office, with no reply they had their answer, they were alone. Suddenly, the manager noticed someone passing the camera outside the secure office, he got up and went out into the corridor, no-one was there, he walked in the direction the person was walking, with only one door in that direction, the door to the projection booth. The projection room is one long corridor with eight projectors down one side and four down the other, there is a small open office area down the far side, at that time, the only lights on were the permanent emergency lights, it is fairly dark but you can still make things out.

The manager claims this, he walked into the booth and saw me walking in the direction of the small office, he called out to me but I did not turn around, I will point out at this point that I am quite a lot larger than all my projectionists and staff, he is 100% positive that it was me in there. He called out again as this person who looks exactly like me was getting close to the fire exit. The fire exit door is sideways on to the manager's line of sight, as my twin approached it, the manager was joined by the supervisor, they both got a good look at the persons face as it was lit by the emergency exit light above the fire exit door, and they both agreed that it was me. They followed as the person went through the door, just a few meters behind; they both went through the fire exit door. Beyond the door, there is a spiral staircase, one door above, one below. When they got to the spiral staircase, there was no-one there, the upper door leads onto the roof and is alarmed, the lower door leads into the car park and is also alarmed, if either door had been opened, the alarm would have sounded. Whoever they had followed in there had vanished.

I understood what they were telling me when they told me this story, but the fact is, I cycled home at midnight and I left through the staff door, not a fire exit.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jeheuty, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TygerDall (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-16)
Wow that is amazing! I first thing comes to mind is doppleganger! Mischevious thing! Hope you didn't get into any trouble or it causes you any trouble! 😉
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
I too was thinking of a residual haunting or a doppleganger. Really cool story!
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-11)
I really liked your story. While I have no explainations for you or ideas of what could have been happening I would like to say Thanks for sharing your ex-coworkers story. This is going into my favs. 😊
doom (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
Perhaps when we dream, our spirits travel out of our bodies, and your spirit happened to travel to the movie theater at this particular night. You said this all occurred at around 1 am, were you asleep by this time?

An alternate explanation (although still requiring you to be asleep) is that this was a glitch in the matrix. A dimensional error.
XxBarbieDollxX (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
Something like that haoppened to me beofore. I had a ghost twin of me 😕
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Great story! I really enjoyed reading it, gave me the chills. 😨 I am going to go with Javelina on this one. It's incredible how 2 people were able to see and make the person out to be you from the booth. At least they had each other to validate their experience. Thanks for sharing this with us. 😊
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Wow. Sends shivers down your spine. I've heard of similar things happening too. Highly unusual. To me, a supernatural explanation is required here. 😊 Thanks.
jeheuty (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-05)
Thanks guys, I am glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately I left the company in 2008, there has been some changes to the cinema recently, it is now a nine screen cinema with restaurants in the spaces where the auditoriums were, the Projection booth is still unchanged apart from newer digital projectors. Nothing strange has happened since then apart from the odd projector starting itself up from time to time, however I would put this down to electrical automation fault rather than supernatural, but who knows for sure. I keep in contact with the projectionists who work there, however they will not be there for much longer due to a completely automated system controlled by one person.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-05)
Here's another one I'm going to add to a collection of stories that I would consider "Residual Pre-Haunts". Well, the title will probably change once I figure out something better, but the premise will be the same.
A residual haunting is basically a recording of a person who once traveled that particuler route. So it's not a 'spirit' but a movie type image of that person going through what ever it had back when it had life. It won't interact with others in an intelligent way. It may speak, laugh, cry, yell or scream at some point during the playback but not as a back and forth Q&A type interaction.
But there have been several stories submitted to this site that have scenarios similar to this one in the fact that the haunting occurs before someone has passed on.
The difference between these and the Dopplegangers is that a Dopplegander can have a conversation with others in an intelligent way. 😉 😉
MusicBox (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
From what I've read on here, it does sound like a doppleganger.

What is a doppleganger's purpose? Surely there's more to them "pretending" to be someone and fooling people?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
fab story liked this alot, freaky but gripping.
DeviousAngel got it right I think, sounds just like a doppleganger
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
Sounds like a doppleganger... Excellent story! Thanks for sharing!
PyroGirl (21 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
Wow, that's weird. I don't know what it could be though. Keep us updated.
With all due respect,
PyroGirl
hannaho11 (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
That's really freaky? Maybe a spirit from the place that you worked in duplicated your body? (morphed)
Anyway, really cool story! Keep updating if anything else happeneds! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: