You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Grocery Store

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Grocery Store

 

This is a story that didn't really happen to me, but it still is interesting. My family used to own a store about two or three years ago. It has two floors, the grocery store part, and the floor with the apartments, and of course the basement. I guess I should say it had three floors! The store was very old, and many people owned it before we did.

There was this one family that owned it a long time ago. The father of that family loved to hang around in the store, and he and one of his sons died. The other son and his wife moved away, and a different set of owners moved in. Finally, we owned the store, and we started to notice very odd things.

At night, when the store closed and we all counted the money we earned that day, we would hear the beep sound that goes off whenever someone walks in the store by itself. This would happen only sometimes. But my uncle would be in the store by himself real late at night and would stay in his office. He would hear the beep sound as if someone came in, but he didn't hear the doors open, and there wouldn't be anyone like an intruder around.

He also said that sometimes, while counting the money, he would feel like someone is behind him staring at him. This would make him feel uncomfortable and he would quickly go upstairs to the second floor to his apartment. I even heard the beeper go off myself, even during the day.

Now, one time, my uncle asked my grandfather to go down to the basement and get him something from there. The basement is real big and dark and there are a lot of rooms down there that have no doors. The basement had a very uncomfortable feel to it. Anyways, my grandfather went down there and he heard someone walking.

He ran out of there real quick. He ran up the stairs, and pushed out the door. He told my uncle that he will never go down there to get something for him again. Another time, my uncle was going through the basement, and he found some real old photos that didn't belong to us. He took them out, and we looked at them kind of like it was history of the store. They obviously belonged to previous store owners.

I'm not sure if this is such evidence that the store was haunted, but I think it was. I mean, two people died there for crying out loud. But who knows, maybe the reason the beeper was going off was because it was broken, and maybe the basement had an uncomfortable feel to it just because of anxiety we would have whenever we would go down. But I have no idea how to explain the footsteps down in the basement. I guess we'll never know, because we don't have that store anymore. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my story!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dandyxoxo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dandyxoxo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
[at] JustinEckert

Glad you liked the story! That also is a very good observation. Maybe there actually was a spirit about that caused the beeper to go off, but of course there are other explanations that make perfect sense. As for the staring thing, I believe you are 100 percent right. Maybe the old owner spirit wasn't so fond of my uncle being the manager or something (or maybe he just didn't like my uncle), and he gave him a stare. Maybe he was angry because my uncle would feel really uncomftorable and leave. But yes, there are other logical explanations for it. Well anyways, thanks for commenting!
JustinEckert (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
great story. I think it was half and half. When ever spirits are present technology tends to malfunction quite a bit and that could explain the beeping. Also the footsteps could be paranormal but just a reoccurring spirit which means when that person died their essence was captured by the building and now the "projection of a spirit" lives the last moments of the persons life. Also the feeling of being stared at also may be paranormal. When a ghost is around and doesn't like someone or just doesn't want them around they tend to stare and give you a feeling of anxiety but that can also be explained by many other things. I hope I helped you out and always keep an eye out for the paranormal you never know when they will try to establish contact with you.
Dandyxoxo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
[at] Petersspirit

Thanks for your comment! Like I said in the story we will never really know, because I do believe that technology faults may have something to do with a lot of the occurences. But yes, whenever you walk in a room and you get goosebumps or are scared, that usually does mean that there is a ghost, but there are logical explanations also. We will never know if there was truly a ghost. But Anyways, glad you liked it!
Dandyxoxo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
[at] aiafaith1

Thanks for commenting! Yeah, I was thinking that too. Its a very old building also, and the beeper could have been acting up. There are a lot of wires in there, as well as lights, it could have reacted to it whenever someone used anything electronic. Technology does have its faults. That could also be an explanation, but the story is worth telling anyway. Glad you liked it!
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
Dandyxoxo,
Very nice story. However, the beeping noises can be explained. Technology will always have its faults. Trust me, my litte brother has a puzzle and when you put the piece into the slot, an animal noise goes off. Whenever we turn the lights off in the room, the thing goes off. It's something to do with the electricity and the puzzle. (I know this has NOTHING to do with beeping, but it was an example on how technology has its faults.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
Hello Dandyxoxo,

I think there were ghosts there since your uncle felt as if someone was watching him. Also when a space gives you goosebumps it usually means that spiritual activity is going on. Nice sharing, much enjoyed reading it.

Greetings,
Peter
Dandyxoxo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
[at] 510mot. Yeah that is a good observation. It was a very old building, so everything in the basement when we owned it wasn't new. So yes, my grandfather could have been hallucinating when he heard footsteps. Anywho, thanks for commenting and enjoying the story
!
Dandyxoxo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
[at] lilady4 yeah I believe that also. Old buildings make old sounds, and the store was VERY old. I never talked to the previous owners though. My uncle and dad did, because they were the real owners. I guess they never mentioned it because I never heard anything from my family that the previous owners experienced something too. But oh well. Anyways, thanks for commenting. 😁
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
Cool story. It is good to look at this in a sceptical way. It might just be an old store making "old store sounds"? 😆
Well, anyway, have you spoken to the previous owners (before you) to find out if they had any activity?
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
One small correction, I meant to ask about the basement not attic. My mistake-Mike
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
Cool story, Dandy. Looking at this story in debunk mode I have to ask about the attic. Most older buildings electrical wiring is in a horrible state. Multiple add ons and changing standards being the reasons. Unfortunately this can lead to the creation of a "Fear Cage" whereby the resultant E.M.F. Can cause hallucinations and feeings of paranoia and nausea. Do you think this might apply to your attic?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: