You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunted Store?

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted Store?

 

A few months back, I got a job at a place that doubles as a convenience store and a pizza/sub...place. I'm not terribly sure how relevant that is, but I thought to share it anyway in case it plays some part in the happenings.

See, the place gets pretty creepy at night. Usually by that point there are only two of us and it is, of course, dark outside (I find things happen mostly between eight and eleven). The first few times I worked there, I kept seeing people out of the corner of my eye a lot. Eventually, it got to the point that I mentioned it to my co-worker, jokingly saying I thought there were people in the store when there weren't. She replied that she often thought she saw people in the store when there weren't any.

This got me thinking. I then made a point of mentioning in offhand joking way this occurrence to everyone I closed with. They all said they often thought they saw people too. Is this just a coincidence? It is admittedly creepy there at night, so it's possible we all just have really overactive imaginations. However, if that's the case, mine seems to be making a point of going into overdrive. I have two very specific occurrences that come to mind.

The first was the shadow man. That happened earlier, closer to when I first started, and it weirded me out a little. I was sweeping the floor when I thought I saw something black flash past the counter, so I looked up and I swear that this really tall man practically flew by. I remember thinking originally that he was wearing a black winter jacket, hat, gloves, boots, and pants, but he walked too fast for me to be sure. It was almost unnaturally quick. A couple of seconds later, I saw a dark head momentarily bob up over the top of one of the shelves, but there was no one there when I checked again.

The second was a red-headed woman. This took place much more recently, roughly a week ago, and I remember I was scraping out the ice-cream freezer at the time. I was really focused on chipping the ice off the side, so it was the clatter of keys that made me look up. For a split second, I got the impression that a woman with long orange-red hair and a blue jacket was standing at the counter. Then I blinked and she was gone.

Stuff like this has happened multiple times. I once thought there was a boy roughly my age in the kitchen with me, and I think I've half-seen him more than once. Sometimes I hear people set their keys down on the counter, but when I check, this proves to be wrong. Same with being so sure that someone is standing behind or near me.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this. It's not like it's scaring me or anything. I'm just curious, as it's been bothering me for a while. Can this be chalked up to an overactive imagination and coincidence? (Okay, I honestly don't think so; I'm just asking to satisfy the skeptic in me.) Is the store some kind of spiritual hotspot? The people that I see all seem to be different for the most part, so I don't know if this counts as a haunting per se. Should I be worried at all?

Any advice or comments? Please share below! I'm curious to see what people think.

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by KaalaLilee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KaalaLilee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KaalaLilee (3 stories) (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-28)
CuriousGuy: Residual hauntings would definitely make sense. That would explain everything. Thank you so much!
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-27)
KaalaLilee - Thank you for the reply and no worries. The main reason why I was wondering was cause that could link to if they are intelligent hauntings or residual hauntings. When they are intelligent they can acknowledge you or respond, when their residual they just carry on doing things they would normally do and don't really notice you or will respond to you. Kind of like watching a film of what someone would have done during their life right in front of you.

Peace
CuriousGuy
KaalaLilee (3 stories) (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
spiritwaiting and CuriousGuy: I'm sorry for the delay in my reply. My computer just got hooked up to internet again. Anyway, you were both asking if they seemed to notice me. For the most part, no, I don't think they do. Every once in a while there's one that seems to acknowledge me, but that's about it.

Elnoraemily: Thank you!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
Kaalalilee, Thank you for responding back! You seeing people in the shelves could possibly be spirits just walki ng in and out. Do they seem to notice you being there?
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
I don't have anything helpful to say, but I really enjoyed reading this! It's a very unique piece and I look forward to hearing any updates if you have any.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
Have any of the times made it feel like it may be intelligent hauntings? Such as they seem to notice you while your there?

Peace
CuriousGuy
KaalaLilee (3 stories) (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
spiritwaiting: Thank you for your comment! Residual energy sounds right to me, that's definitely possible. I'll admit, most of the time they ARE cars or people walking passed, but some of the angles just don't seem very plausible. It feels like I'm always catching glimpses of people in the shelves when the store is empty. Unfortunately, I don't know how old the building is, but that's something I should definitely look into! Thanks!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-15)
I wouldn't be worried at all. The keys on the counter is most likely the residual energy, playing over again. Because its one of the most common sounds that happen on a daily basis. As far as you seeing the spirits from the corner of your eyes, these could be shadows, from passing cars, or people walking by. How old is the building? Was it used as anything other than a pizza/ convienance store? It could also be the spirits you could have seen, know this particular place to be a well known past time, and they just come to visit. Thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: