You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Store

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Store


In the late 70's, I took some holidays and gave 2 days to help an organization to do a flee market. We had to sort things that were given away and put a price tag on them. There were a lot of various things to sort out, mainly clothes. The place chosen to sort those things was a big house which was sitting by a main road not too far from my own house. This house had been abandoned a long time ago. The owners were away. It's been a bit more than 30 years I had been staying in this area and I saw this house when it was completely a shack and rundown. Broken windows, long weeds, dirty with tags on some walls.

On three occasions I saw renovations going on but they would stop for an extended period. I heard from people of the neighborhood that the house was haunted and that it changed owners on three occasions. Each started renovations but stopped because they had financial problems.

The current owner took almost 10 years to renovate the house. When it was ready, he tried to rent it but did not get a single client for 2 years. However, one day as I was going to work early, I saw vehicles by the house and people uploading furnitures in the house. I said to myself that the owners were lucky. The next day in the afternoon, while coming back, I saw the same people now removing their stuff from the house. I asked neighbors what had happen and they said a young couple moved in but on their first night, they experienced scary events. They apparently heard voices, doors slamming, they saw an old woman in a wheelchair cursing them and their bed shook at night.

A few weeks later, I saw another similar scene; in the afternoon I saw people moving in and the next morning they were leaving.

Then the house remained empty for 3 to 4 years. The organization, knowing that the house could not be rented, asked the owner to use it as a store and they would take care of the yard and maintenance against a minimal rent. He accepted. I think the owner was resigned.

Anyway, here comes my part. I was a bit nervous to work in this house knowing the history of it. I went in the first day and I could feel the atmosphere being thick. I was feeling watched. Maybe it was my mind.

I worked a good 5 to 6 hours from around 5pm to 11pm. At the beginning, there was a lot of people but they would leave gradually. About half an hour before I left, we were about 7 only. I was not feeling well and some parts of the house were creepy. Things were all over the place. I started to hear a conversation. Others did hear same but said it's the neighbors talking. I was not convinced. I also heard footsteps at a stage on the first floor but others dismissed it to an overreacting mind. I had told them about the house, but all of them were skeptics.

The second day I went at the same time. There were less people on that day, it was a Friday if I'm correct. I had the same feeling of uneasiness and being watched as the day before. While working, I heard as if an iron container full of coins fall on the ground. Some of us went to check but nothing had moved. Then, I was sorting out clothes and piled them up well folded and left to do something else. When I came back, the clothes were on the floor. Some other clothes which were on a hanger were also down. I understood that it was not normal but others still dismissed it. We were now 4 of us at around 11pm and I could hear conversations going on on the first floor, then a screeching noise, toilets being flushed, footsteps, dragging noise, etc... Some of us went up but saw nothing. People were ignoring these events. Maybe they had received instructions about this.

Then the responsible of the team said it was time to leave. As we were just putting an order, we heard as if something was falling down the stairs. Obviously, we saw nothing. Then we heard furnitures being moved. The four of us just packed and go and did not check. As we were about to close the garage door, the responsible was looking for the key, the door slammed shut. We were outside and we heard like a huge noise, as if a pile of iron pots and cookware fell down. The leader opened the garage door and everything was sitting perfectly still and in order. He quickly closed the door and we all left. I did not come back there. But people still helped there for another 2 months but they would make sure that no one would stay alone. There must always have at least 4 persons.

It's still being used as a store as of today.

Other hauntings by Cafelelion

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cafelelion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MonaXee (2 posts)
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
Story is great, Thanks a lot for sharing 😊.By the way people who are working there now, still experiences those things.
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
It sounds like there was some serious activity going on in that space. With so many halted renovations and changes to the house/store there seems to be quite a lot of anger within. I certainly wouldn't want to be in there on my own.

Thank you for sharing a very interesting story.
spencer9997 (1 stories) (10 posts)
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
I would love a chance to see a place like that. Well, maybe see isn't the best word. Experience, maybe?

Thank you for sharing your story with us,
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Makes a person wonder why some linger about a dimpy place. Nice story... Again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: