You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Thing In The Reflection

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In The Reflection

 

Ghosts, most people use the term to refer to the lost souls of the dead, wandering eternally in the land of the living. Some believe in their existence, others don't. Personally I have never encountered one, and truth be told, I prefer it that way. However, if asked have I ever experienced a 'supernatural' encounter, I cannot give a definitive answer, it could have been my imagination or it could have been something more. But one thing's for sure, it did happened.

It occurred on my second semester in college; I was staying in a hostel located not too far away from my university, it was an old 5-storey building, each room consisting of 2 double-decker beds and a bathroom. Now as expected of most old buildings, it carried a sinister legend, there are many versions towards the tale, but the version that I was told when I first got there is of a jilted lover committing suicide by hanging himself in the bathroom. I don't know if the story was true nor do I wish to investigate on the matter, however, fate sometimes likes things to be interesting.

It was 2 a.m. In the morning, I had just returned to my room after having a late night snack with my friends at the local restaurant, my roommates were already fast asleep so I lie on top of my bed and planned to do the same. As I almost drift to sleep, suddenly I felt a slight discomfort in my bladder. I cursed myself for eating a bit too much as I got up and went to the bathroom. The tiles were wet, signifying that one of my roommates had probably used the shower recently. I paid no heed and sat on the toilet. In an instant I felt the hair at the back of my neck standing, I almost stood up when a voice inside my head told me alarmingly to NOT LOOK UP. I sat there frozen, eyes unblinking, my horrified reflection vaguely shown on the puddle of water on the tiles. To this day I still wonder what if I had done something else, what would the outcome have been If I had taken a different course of action. I probably wouldn't be writing this, or I probably would be writing a more horrifying encounter... Or probably I would have been a character in one of the stories in this site. But the fact is I had slightly peered to the left where the shower is, eyes locking on the wet tiles under me and saw a reflection of... Something. It wasn't a shadow, a figure perhaps, looming above right next to me, gently swaying from left to right. I don't know what it is, I don't know what it's doing there, but I sure as hell don't want to find out. I bolted out of the bathroom covered myself under the covers of my bed. Not bothering to wake my friends up.

As I lay there trying very hard to calm myself down, I looked at the entrance of the lit bathroom from under the covers. Anticipating any shadows to appear, there were none, but it didn't stop me for waiting though, all through the night.

As the story goes, the very next day I asked a friend to inspect the bathroom for anything beyond the norm, but they found none. Though the question is left unanswered, I learned to move on with my life, even finally using the bathroom in my room after a week. But since then, I've always wondered, do ghosts exist? Even as I end this story, I'm still not sure.

Other hauntings by WhoAreThey

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WhoAreThey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
you don't seem to be too sure of anything... You say you saw something, & at the same time saw nothing...
Qua (39 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-06)
I agree with most comments here that the swaying figure is the jilted lover. I heard a similar urban legend in my campus too but I never stayed in the hostel to find out. However I found that the hostel management swapped the girls bathroom with the guys. So there could be some truth in it. Do continue writing! Love reading your encounters.
suicideangel (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
Hearing that story makes me scared to go to my own bathroom which has bright lights 😕
LOL I'm pretty sure also that the "thing" you saw is the jilted lover who committed suicide.

Just for the info, this is why I don't like love! 😜
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-07)
Committing suicide is consider a sin, so the lover probably couldn't cross over. It probably showed itself to you because you might be more sensitive than your friends.

Zzsgranny,
You are so crazy! (in a good way). You can be the poster girl for us loonies! 😆
multinathan911 (3 stories) (23 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-07)
wow that is a really creepy story its something you would expect out of a movie or something. I don't blame you for not going to the bathroom for a while. I'm scared going into the bathroom without all that stuff happening I always think I'm going to see something pop up behind me in the mirror or something. But if I were you I would have investigated a bit more, the ghost didn't just appear to you and on one else if it didn't want something.

From nathan ❤
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
ILee~ That is what I was wondering, if it was the jilted lover, would be interesting to know the background of the story, but they don't want to investigate it 😢
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
sparkles: Good question! 😊...I think we have a "closet believer" here... Someone who knows, but is afraid to let anyone else know they know... You know? 😆

Don't worry, WhoAreThey, there's no one here who would call you crazy for believing in spooks!...Loonie, maybe 😆
sparkles (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
creepy. That's all I have to say. But I do have a question, if you didn't believe, why would you be on this site? 🤔
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Could the looming figure that was swaying left to right be the "jilted lover" that committed suicide?

That must have been terrifying for you! I know I would be. So the looming figure never appeared again? Has anyone seen it before?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: